What are the most powerfull downhill brakes?

scbullit

Likes Dirt
just bought a new rig with saints. Rode it a few times, ripped the saints off and put on my old 2011 codes. Then i thought i would give the saints a run on my xc bike. So i took off the elixer 5's and put the saints on. Still no good though. the saints are in the bin!
Maybe something is amiss with them (or you)?

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Brakes stop your wheel from turning, But it is the tyre connection to the ground which is as important. Changing your brakes to more powerful calipers with out any consideration to your tyres is a waste of time. I am a bit heavier than most at 112 kg and i find even deore brakes with 7 inch rotors that i have on one of my bikes can easily exceed the grip of the 2.25 highrollers on it, even in the best conditions. Modulation and predictability of knowing how hard you can push your tyres before they slip is more important than sheer power of the brakes.

rone

Eats Squid
There is a picture floating around of what I think is a karpiel using a dual alligator brake system up front....yes 16pistons and 2 discs of stoping power. Maybe someone else can find it.
gatorbrake-bike.jpg

24 pistons of stopping power. Looking at the bike, though, you'd need it.

doppel-8-kolben.jpg

closeup

Slika0047.jpg

result of a full power stop

Last edited:

devilmachine

Likes Dirt
Just remembered these shimano twin disc, triple pad, water cooled brakes from back in the day. I think there was a pad in between the two disc's as well as a the other two pads ie piston pad disc pad disc pad piston.Word was that the pro's were oiling the rotors to reduce the bite and OTB factor.

Attachments

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Just remembered these shimano twin disc, triple pad, water cooled brakes from back in the day. I think there was a pad in between the two disc's as well as a the other two pads ie piston pad disc pad disc pad piston.Word was that the pro's were oiling the rotors to reduce the bite and OTB factor.
So good! heard about those and read in magazine's but never saw an image!

Made my day. :)

Reckless

Likes Bikes
i run saint and i find them to powerful, they bite in really hard. i used to like doing endo's but now i find there isnt any feedback from the brakes, they're either on or off. but they are good when you need to stop.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Formula The Ones. Really dependant on how you set them up though.I've got mine set-up so they barely lock up and are favoured to feathering, but they could easily be set up otherwise.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
just bought a new rig with saints. Rode it a few times, ripped the saints off and put on my old 2011 codes. Then i thought i would give the saints a run on my xc bike. So i took off the elixer 5's and put the saints on. Still no good though. the saints are in the bin!
Are you being serious?

If the rubbish truck hasn't come yet, lemme know. :p