What are you reading? Books, articles or publications of any kind!

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit lightweight compared to others in this thread - Lone Rider - Elspeth Beard .First British woman to ride a motorcycle round the world on the early 80‘s good read , interesting from a ‘ I can do this perspective ‘
Most know her as a fancy architect …did a 1880s water tower in England as a house , won the award etc .
if you like that sort of thing .

climberman

Likes Dirt
‘Sapien: A brief history of human kind’ was the last book i raved about and made friends read. It’s an amazing, objective and dispassionate look at where we sit on the food chain, how we evolved (through tools, language, shared stories etc) and what drives human behaviour.
Have a whirl at 'The Dawn of Everything' by Graeber and Wengrow.
Graeber's 'Debt: the first 5,000 years' and 'Bullshit Jobs' are also worth a read.

fuck I’m still going, 80% thru
Fuck I finished it, mega slog, so many words and references I didn't know and just so detailed and verbose.

But it did have its moments.

My family can't believe I finished it, but I can, as I became Ahab and the book became the white whale.

And when my Lego arrived in the post the other day (see the Lego thread), my son asked if I had ordered this :-

1663377734661.png

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anthony bourain's kitchen confidential. a relatable and amusing read whether you're a fan of his shows or not, but also a bit of an experience as I read it in his voice and mannerisms. not many authors Im that familiar with after his travel shows so this is something new.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also started Stolen focus : why you can't pay attention by Johann Hari (which I thought I saw as a recommendation on this thread but can't find the post in question to give credit. I can definitely see the value of the message, and it stopped me from just going straight to the phone while on planes, in airports etc on the weekend trip. But good lord Johann came across as an old man yelling at kids because the world is changing in the first dozen or so paragraphs.
I'm hit and miss on enjoying these types of books. Good read? Is there anything you can compare it too?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm hit and miss on enjoying these types of books. Good read? Is there anything you can compare it too?
I'm finding it good, he does his research and gets plenty of interesting people in there. Can't think of anything in particular it's like off the top of my head but it's definitely more engaging that most of these style of books.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I'm finding it good, he does his research and gets plenty of interesting people in there. Can't think of anything in particular it's like off the top of my head but it's definitely more engaging that most of these style of books.
Yeah its very engaging. Reads more like a novel than a non-fiction book.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Read this the other day. It's about a man who believes he hears the voice of (an octupus) god inside him. Written largely in the first-person it's a very insightful look into what it's like to live with a severe mental illness. The writing is also very fast paced. Really enjoyed it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Read this the other day. It's about a man who believes he hears the voice of (an octupus) god inside him. Written largely in the first-person it's a very insightful look into what it's like to live with a severe mental illness. The writing is also very fast paced. Really enjoyed it.

I should write about having the voice of Smaug inside of me. Although I've been falling behind recently.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm currently reading "Belladonna Nights & Other Stories" by Alastair Reynolds.

A collection of short stories by him. It is a limited edition of 1,500 copies - mine is 1,437 and is personally signed by him, not a cheap book at $88. I have met him before and have a number of his novels also signed by him.

Attachments