What are your favourite trail destinations?

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Hi Burners,

I'm currently working on a project, part of which is compiling the the best MTB destinations, state by state from around the country. While I know some areas pretty well well, I'm not keen to trust all the info I find online so I'm after a small favour:

Could you please post a list of your favourite trail destinations and the state that they are in? I'm more after the overall area as opposed to the individual trail names. e.g. Mt Buller as opposed to Stonefly.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep anyone who helps out in the loop with the project as it develops.

Matt

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Cheers for kicking off Knuckles.

Yeah I had a bit of a squiz at their database and some good info there which will help to cross check names.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Doh, forgot about the youies :tsk:

Blue Tier: Tasmania
Montezuma Falls: Tasmania

Trevallyn: Tasmania
Mt Wellington (Nth Sth Track): Tasmania

Three

Likes Bikes
For me, in SA
Kersbrook (AKA Mt Gawler AKA Devils Gully)
Bennetts
Currently out of action and not allowed in there due to recent bushfires :Cry:

J

JaRedy

Favourites?

NSW:
Coffs. RIP

QLD:
Castle: RIP
Tambo: RIP
Gravatt: RIP

For listing purposes (and legal destinations)

Brisbane, QLD:

Beaudesert, QLD:

Sunshine Coast, QLD
Track: Beerburrum, DH

Toowoomba, QLD
DH

Gold Coast, QLD

Mt Tamborine, QLD
Track: (unknown name) XC/AM

There's at least 3 other XC forests out there that somebody else can pitch in as I cant remember the names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Favourites?

NSW:
Coffs. RIP

QLD:

Brisbane, QLD:

Beaudesert, QLD:

Sunshine Coast, QLD

Toowoomba, QLD
DH

Gold Coast, QLD

Mt Tamborine, QLD

There's at least 3 other XC forests out there that somebody else can pitch in as I cant remember the names.
What happened to Coffs?

Im heading up there next month and looking for trails. Any suggestions for that area.

Cheers,
EB

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like Jindabyne and the Snowy's because it used to be home and every time I go back the riding is better than the last time.

Hobart is nice with all sorts of fun riding around the city, plus Clarence, Glenorchy and Mt Wellington.

Mogo although I'd say it's a passing through riding spot, not a destination.

Nerang because it's my destination and 60k of trail is hidden there.

Townsville for Douglas and riding for fun around Magnetic Island. Looking forward to trying Palarenda when I go there next time.

My soft spot is for the riding I had when I lived on the edge of Bristol England in 1972. You could ride into the country on lanes and then climb over a style and ride through fields. The trails were just basic paths people took to streams and little woods. From them you could ride along the streams, look at the fish, find old gravestones and church ruins, or sometimes Roman roads and ruins of their buildings or a barrow mound. Those were lovely rides linking fields and streams with the next laneway, laying out on the grass in the sun near stands of trees at the top of little hills and wandering around all day in the countryside with friends.

Apart from all that I take my bike and ride it everywhere I travel to. It makes every place better. A trail is the thing in front of your front wheel and your destination is the next bit of terrain after that passes.

darsh

Likes Dirt
Favourites?

NSW:
Coffs. RIP

QLD:

Brisbane, QLD:

Beaudesert, QLD:

Sunshine Coast, QLD

Toowoomba, QLD
DH

Gold Coast, QLD

Mt Tamborine, QLD

Heard you've gone all Enduro now :)

even the cafe at Mt G is gone now, such potential !

check out the latest at Coffs and Castle

and Cornubia has some great riding

peace out

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
So many great places to ride in oz these days, spoilt for choice.

Here's a few favorites that standout without thinking about it a bunch:

(Lots of places I'm yet to ride, which is probably why they aren't on the list below!)

Qld:
Atherton
Smithfield, Cairns
Douglas, Townsville
Mt Joyce

Vic:
Mt Buller

Tassie:
Blue Tier

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
NSW.

Blue Mts, specifically Mt York.

Central tablelands: heaps of variety between Lithgow and Orange. + Bathurst MTB park is really coming along to add another reason for an extended visit in the area.

Nutta

Squid
Margaret River WA
Not a riding destination yet i guess but a tourist destination. Great trails on sth side of Carter's rd

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Victoria...
Lysterfield (not my favourite, but I live right next to it)
You Yangs
Bloores Hill
Buxton
Red Hill
Forrest
Smiths Gully
Westerfolds/Candlebark
Wombat State Forest

NSW...
Tathra
Mandini Park/Merimbula

danncam

Likes Dirt
+1 for Mt Buller. The trails are great, the views spectacular. i have heard people complain they are too flow or smooth, but I think that no longer holds water, plenty of awesome twisty downhill trails have gained a bit of gnar as they get used.

Honorary mentions in my order of favor:
You Yangs
Forrest

Up and coming:
Red Hill