what bike should I get ?

n00b

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone im a bit of a newb when it comes to mountain biking (as the name suggests). Ive been looking a getting a new bike as my current bike is so badly thrashed it totally unrideable. Anyway ill get to the point im looking at getting a new hardtail I want to spend about $2500 maybe a little more. I ride mosty just urban stuff, the occcasional bush bash and a little dirt jumping.
The bikes ive been looking at so far are:
2002/2003 Jamis komodo
2003 Norco torrent
2004 Diamondback BSX PRO Super X
2003 Kona roast

Can anybody reccomend something suitable ore give me some advice on what to look for?

Thanks,
Leon

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
welcome to farkin,

either the roast or the torrent will give you excellent value for money, and you know that you are getting a quality product, with good warranty.
i don't know enough about either the diamond back, or the jamis to comment on them.
the kona and norco are both comparable in terms of strength and suitability, so look for the one that fits best, and that you are happiest with.
also look for the one with the best forks as that is most expensive part to upgrade later on.
for the money you are looking at, you won't have any problems at all getting a good bike.

n00b

Likes Dirt
Hmmm thanks for replies, I gotta go have a think about it.
BTW do you know of any other different bikes I might wanna go have a look at?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dunno what forks those bikes have you mentioned
but for that money i would make sure that you have a good high quality fork,

id even suggest looking at a bike for $2000 and with the extra money upgrade the fork to something top quality

bazza

look at me
i just dont like air forks, dont know why but i have riden top of the line air forks and they just didnt compare to oil forks, its just a personal thing i think. if you are jumping/urban assult change the mx's over for djs or if you are doing a bit of everyting get some z1 freerides or similar.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
go either the kona or the norco - imo i'd take the norco

have u considered getting a second hand dual sus? there are a coouple of giant ac2's lying around on farkin.net in the classifieds for around $2500, it should hold, and would be great on downhills

Rik

logged out
Jamis Komodo by far IMO. The forks are so much better on the Jamis (Z1 freerides), you get an awesome component kit as well, including things like Thomson seatpost, Ritchy Bars, Mavic rims, XT derailleurs AND shifters.

Fair enough, everyone here loves Kona and Norco, but for the dollars the Komodo will be a better specced bike, you may not know much about Jamis, but they're got a great reputation overseas. It'd be well worth finding a Jamis dealer and pestering them to get the Komodo in, IMO it's the best by far.

I just read you wanted to spend around $2500, the Komodo is a bit above that, but worth stretching your budget for.

boonga

Likes Dirt
i have a roast and its sweet. The only problem ive had is the forks; i broke them. But the 2004 model comes with DJ3's so this should fix the problem

dick

Likes Dirt
go for a 04 sasquatch,
8 inch hydraulics, dj3's and its only like 1600.
then uve got heaps of money left over for other shit.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
finaly got a look at the specs for the jamis, and we have a winner.
looks like it would be the best overall package for the price.
jamis do ahve a good reputation overseas, and also have a good warranty. well worth the look.

G

does anyone have a pic of the jamis?

have a look second hand theres som uber deals on farkin

n00b

Likes Dirt
Hmm im leaning towards getting a 2004 rampage ans with the left uver cash gettin saint deraulliers maybe?

n00b

Likes Dirt
Does anybody know what the 2004 rampage will retail for, and if I swap the original rear deraullier to a saint would the shop give me some kind of trade in or would it be better if I sold it myself?

Thanks,
Leon