What bike stuff you get yourself for Christmas?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Santa got you the right shoes. Most comfy MTB shoes I've had.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
They're up against Shimano M240s, which til now have been my most comfy, but after trying them in the shop and a brief blast up the driveway, they've shown promise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Teva you say??? You don’t happen to have big feet do you? I have a set of Teva’s here almost brand new doing nothing. Size 13 though.
I've got a mate who would fit them. Any chance you could skip back 2 months in your time machine to before he went to Canada?

mtb1611

Seymour
Gave the bank balance a workout today....pair of Conti GP's for the roadie, pair of Pearl Izumi Select gloves, Lezyne alloy tyre levers and Camelbak Rogue, plus a TyreKey tyre lever......

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bottle cages, back country strap, gravel tyres, frame bag, another helmet, another jersey.

And I don’t even celebrate Christmas...

Daisy

Likes Dirt
New helmet

New 10 speed drive train (upgrade from 2x to 1x)
- sunrace 11-46 10spd mx3 black cassette
- kore nw 32t chainring blue
- xt chain

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nextie Ultralight 29" hoops, 28mm internal, 350grs, DT 350's with 54t star ratchet. 1,540grs :D
On a similar note my Chinese road wheels turned up yesterday, running dt350 w/36t, cx ray spokes, the rims are 28mm external, 450 and 500grams F & R respectively, coming in at 1560 total. I'm guessing you have more spokes!

IMG_20190103_161821-1518x2024.jpg

Warp

Likes Dirt
On a similar note my Chinese road wheels turned up yesterday, running dt350 w/36t, cx ray spokes, the rims are 28mm external, 450 and 500grams F & R respectively, coming in at 1560 total. I'm guessing you have more spokes!
Probably, mine are 28 spokes. But the spokes are Competitions, so that may make a difference.

Minlak

custom titis
Does a whole bike count? Got an eMTB... Done about 200km on it so far...not sure I can ever go back to normal MTBs again...
My riding is improving in leaps and bounds but fuck me I want an e-bike so bad. What did you get? Or better yet where is the PYR?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does a whole bike count? Got an eMTB... Done about 200km on it so far...not sure I can ever go back to normal MTBs again...
Post it up in the ebike forum. Keen to hear your thoughts about it and why you went there.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
My riding is improving in leaps and bounds but fuck me I want an e-bike so bad. What did you get? Or better yet where is the PYR?
Only had it for 3 weeks... :)...

My general bike handling skills are ok, in that I've got to a level I'm not likely to get significantly better unless I get more riding hours, but my fitness, (mostly climbing) is why...

Short version is: 2 young kids (4.5/2.5), plus working, etc means I get out (sometimes) once a week. Now I ride a lot at Hornsby or Westleigh, both loops I do are about 30km and 650m climbing... This means when I get to descents I'm buggered from all the climbing. Now, I'm not that old (I keep telling myself that), I'm 37... But my uphill climbs in eco (low) are about the same times I was getting 4-5 years ago when I was riding 2+ times a week... Advantage is that the bike now (Merida 900e) is Massively more capable than my bike back then and my downhill times are massively faster and probably safer.

I went into it suspicious that ebikes aren't worth it... Had a proper shop ride with SEB and was hooked... You can ride up things you can't walk up and would never be able to ride up on a normal bike.

In the eco setting you could liken it to having a road bike on the trail in terms of effort, it just moves so much easier, I equate it to getting off an MTB on the road (with big wide tyres), getting on a road bike and feeling how effortless it is.

In higher modes like trail, it's insane. You can do 10-15km/h up rocky, steep and loose firetrails...

Sorry, not really the short version... The spec on the Merida is insane... Fox 36, X2 shock, Saint brakes (which are awesome), etc....

Minlak

custom titis
Only had it for 3 weeks... :)...

My general bike handling skills are ok, in that I've got to a level I'm not likely to get significantly better unless I get more riding hours, but my fitness, (mostly climbing) is why...

Short version is: 2 young kids (4.5/2.5), plus working, etc means I get out (sometimes) once a week. Now I ride a lot at Hornsby or Westleigh, both loops I do are about 30km and 650m climbing... This means when I get to descents I'm buggered from all the climbing. Now, I'm not that old (I keep telling myself that), I'm 37... But my uphill climbs in eco (low) are about the same times I was getting 4-5 years ago when I was riding 2+ times a week... Advantage is that the bike now (Merida 900e) is Massively more capable than my bike back then and my downhill times are massively faster and probably safer.

I went into it suspicious that ebikes aren't worth it... Had a proper shop ride with SEB and was hooked... You can ride up things you can't walk up and would never be able to ride up on a normal bike.

In the eco setting you could liken it to having a road bike on the trail in terms of effort, it just moves so much easier, I equate it to getting off an MTB on the road (with big wide tyres), getting on a road bike and feeling how effortless it is.

In higher modes like trail, it's insane. You can do 10-15km/h up rocky, steep and loose firetrails...

Sorry, not really the short version... The spec on the Merida is insane... Fox 36, X2 shock, Saint brakes (which are awesome), etc....
Love the explanation but don’t feel like you have to justify I am an e-bike believer.
The Merida is awesome and I am in love with the Norco VLT currently.
Something you said in there is exactly what my experience with e-bikes has been. I ride regularly with someone that used to have massive issues with pinch climbs and now she has enough power to geg over them her riding overall has improved as she is riding stuff she used to walk as it was a struggle to top over it.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Love the explanation but don’t feel like you have to justify I am an e-bike believer.
The Merida is awesome and I am in love with the Norco VLT currently.
Something you said in there is exactly what my experience with e-bikes has been. I ride regularly with someone that used to have massive issues with pinch climbs and now she has enough power to geg over them her riding overall has improved as she is riding stuff she used to walk as it was a struggle to top over it.
Yup, I know someone else will ask so covered all bases... I can't justify it for others... Once you ride them they are addictive.

I test rode the Norco, things that turned me off it were the carbon frame (really isn't necessary for such a heavy bike anyway), internal battery, so can't just buy a second one and swap them (not a current usecase for me, but you never know), SRAM GX on the Norco is ok, but the Di2 XT on the Merida is awesome... And you can get the Merida quite a bit cheaper... With higher spec :)