What bike to buy for enduro/freeride type stuff?

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Thinking of maybe moving on from the banshee spitfire to something a bit burlier.
Won't be racing, maybe the occasional enduro or shirt travel dh.
Mainly for hitting decent drops jumps and rough stuff, pedalling back to the top but no rush.
Any recommendations?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Here comes the list:
Canyon Torque, Structure Cycleworks SCW, Specialized Enduro, Kona Process, Orange Stage 6, Pole Evolink 158, Trek Slash, Rocky Mountain Slayer, Moorey's Face, Yeti SB6, Santa Cruz Nomad (now in alloy), Orbea Rallon, Transition Patrol, YT Capra, Giant Reign, Norco Range.

Choose a colour to narrow list, roll a dice to choose.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thinking of maybe moving on from the banshee spitfire to something a bit burlier.
Won't be racing, maybe the occasional enduro or shirt travel dh.
Mainly for hitting decent drops jumps and rough stuff, pedalling back to the top but no rush.
Any recommendations?

If you like the Spitty, why not a Rune?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Here comes the list:
Canyon Torque, Structure Cycleworks SCW, Specialized Enduro, Kona Process, Orange Stage 6, Pole Evolink 158, Trek Slash, Rocky Mountain Slayer, Moorey's Face, Yeti SB6, Santa Cruz Nomad (now in alloy), Orbea Rallon, Transition Patrol, YT Capra, Giant Reign, Norco Range.

Choose a colour to narrow list, roll a dice to choose.
Turner rfx, Canfield balance, Liteville 601, Focus sam, Foes, SC, Intense, Guerilla Gravity etc etc etc. Its a pretty crowded market.

Worrying about colour and ignoring everything else is for nancies. ;)

Probably best to think about real world issues like warranty support, long term serviceabilty, value for money.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Turner rfx, Canfield balance, Liteville 601, Focus sam, Foes, SC, Intense, Guerilla Gravity etc etc etc. Its a pretty crowded market.

Worrying about colour and ignoring everything else is for nancies. ;)

Probably best to think about real world issues like warranty support, long term serviceabilty, value for money.

Im after something capable and not going to break.
I rode a mates reign with dvo coil rear and diamond forks and really liked that.
I've had a couple issues with frames so want something pretty solid as I might buy 2nd hand depending on price.

Flip666

Likes Dirt
Im after something capable and not going to break.
I rode a mates reign with dvo coil rear and diamond forks and really liked that.
I've had a couple issues with frames so want something pretty solid as I might buy 2nd hand depending on price.

Also how do the new 29er or + wheels go for that type of riding?
Or is it more directed at racing?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sounds like you need a Santa Cruz nomad. There is plenty of them available second hand or new and they have a favourable reputation for keeping on living.

I would imagine the plus sized tyres would be a little cumbersome for getting your freeride steez on. But they would also offer some great cush and grip, remembering that back in the freeride glory days many people ran 2.5-3 inch tyres on rims 35-40mm wide. Those were some phat days.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Also how do the new 29er or + wheels go for that type of riding?
Or is it more directed at racing?

I’d stick to 27.5, standard width tyres. Purely because the rims are stronger/stiffer. 29” bikes have come a long way, but you still can’t beat 26/27.5 for a play bike.

Reign, nomad, commencal meta, knolly delirium (fuck yes). Long travel slacker 27.5’s are on point for doing silly stuff.

New commencals look awesome and are pretty good value.

Edit: I’d also look at aluminium bikes only, they tend to last longer bouncing off rocks after a bail.

Edit edit: can’t believe I forgot to mention the tranny patrol! Almost had to hand back my fanboi card

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
This is one of those threads where we just recommend what we own / what we want.

So in keeping with that: Kona Process 153 / Cotic Rocket

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This is one of those threads where we just recommend what we own / what we want.

Oh, In that case it has to be 26' with a single pivot.

Moorey will be along in a moment with reinforcements like the cavalry in a US civil war.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
HTFU and get a hardtail. :confused: Or put a bigger fork in spitfire? Or anything bigger from the bazillion bikes out there. Personally I have my eye on an insurgent.

Seriously though how much travel is needed to hit bigger shit? My 150f/156r Trance just ploughs these days so I could see a reign being plenty.

Nomad is a single crown DH bike that seem great, but I haven't met one I couldn't keep up with and still felt in control. I have spoken to owners who reckon the new nomad is a better DH bike than a few year old V10.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Last coal. Go Translate some German reviews. Yes, they'll ship frame to aus.

If you're a suspension nerd enjoy it's kinematics. On point. Not plastic. Sensible bearings. Smart design. no BS standards that aren't standard minus the metric shock.

Oddjob

Last coal. Go Translate some German reviews. Yes, they'll ship frame to aus.

If you're a suspension nerd enjoy it's kinematics. On point. Not plastic. Sensible bearings. Smart design. no BS standards that aren't standard minus the metric shock.
You could apply this to a lot of the German bikes at the moment.

I've got a very soft spot for Turner's but I'm not sure a carbon RFX would tolerate my fat arse.

So I've recently availed myself of a Liteville 301 and a Focus Sam. The build quality of both is stellar as you would expect from German welded bikes. And the Liteville in particular has a heap of interesting and thoughtful design touches.

Oddjob

If you want tough, its hard to go past steel. The Cotic Rocket and the Production Privee SHAN No 5 are both really interesting options. The Shan is also available locally from Pushys.