what came out of my leg

dazonic

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone.
Some of the old-skoolers might remember back in March last year i broke my tib/fib putting me foot down over a jump, and got a metal rod down the guts of my tibia. Well i finally got the rod out on wednesday, pretty paintful. I thought it was gonna be a sort of, in-out kinda thing, but it ended up a one hour operation, and i'm on crutches for 2 weeks and no 'contact sports' for 6. I got pics 8)

It's got all this rad information lasered into the end of the rod, i tried getting a pic but couldn't get it in focus. I think there's about 15 staples under all those bandages, they could be just stitches i'm not sure. The bottom screw holes didn't stop bleeding for 2 days, but i'm pretty sure it's stopped now. I don't know what i'm gonna do with the rod yet, there's gotta be something cool :D

Rik

logged out
No contact for 6 weeks? Mate, you got it easy!
At least you're on the recovery, hopefully will see some riding pics of you soon enough 8)

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry wasnt here at that stage but..... that is one sweet rod :wink: . Have you got any during operation shots?

Good luck with the recovery hope your back on the bike and fighting fit ASAP

toe2toe

Likes Bikes
Mount it on your bike somehow so it is there as a constant reminder not to put your foot down over a jump again. :lol:

kizza

Likes Dirt
nice rod, i wish i had one, but only if i didnt have to breaking anything to get it. anyway, get better mate. hope to see you ripping up the trails soon

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
dude put it on a big gold chain and it can be some weird sorta bling.

looks good.yeah 6 weeks aight that bad,as long as it dosn't really hert after the 6 weeks,then you'll be fine.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your lucky, you got to keep your rod. I broke my leg and had a plate and 8 pins and I wasn't allowed to keep it. They didnt wanna clean it all up for me before I left hospital.

You could take it down to your local track and slap people who try and wreck your stuff.

ruthlessgirl

token forum girl
8 weeks total! damn... i shoulda gotten a rod!!!

as for what to do with it? hmmmm how about a ticker tape parade like in simpsons - shhsh daaad they're going to show the rod!

dazonic

Likes Dirt
creepyjoe said:
floating brake system
LOL. Nice one.

and1 said:
I broke my leg and had a plate and 8 pins and I wasn't allowed to keep it.
Yeah, it was weird. I was amped right up for kissing the doctor's arse, but when they were asking me the same questions for the final time (i think i got asked "are you allergic to anything?", "how long haven't you eaten for?" etc etc 30 times that morning), some chick said "oh i suppose you want to keep the metal work?", i was like, fuck yeah.
and1 said:
They didnt wanna clean it all up for me before I left hospital
Yeah mine's still a bit icky. It smells a bit like meat and there's still a few chunks in the head of the screws, true shit.

The good news is after 4 days i'm limping around, i should be ditching the crutches entirely within a week, i'm really happy about that.

Turns out i've got 20 little staples :)

Everyone's probably seen this kinda stuff before but it's different when it actually happens :(

Michael Hunt

Likes Bikes
zdfghzxhtghzh

Surgery scars don't give you any cred.Is the rod titanium? If it is the hospital will normaly buy it back to stick in someone else. Most people have the option of buying or renting it I thought.

dazonic

Likes Dirt
No cred? Fuck off! A total of 8 surgical cuts, 19 stitches, 20 staples, 3 weeks in a wheelchair, weeks of not sleeping, another 10 on crutches, 3 months off the bike, a 90 degree leg... you've gotta have something to show for that!

I'm pretty sure it's just medical grade stainless. I don't think they can stick it back in someone else no matter what it's made of. Micro-pores or some shit, one doctor was tellin me

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mount it on your bike somehow so it is there as a constant reminder not to put your foot down over a jump again.
great idea!! :lol:
No cred? Fuck off! A total of 8 surgical cuts, 19 stitches, 20 staples, 3 weeks in a wheelchair, weeks of not sleeping, another 10 on crutches, 3 months off the bike, a 90 degree leg... you've gotta have something to show for that!
agreed!! ive had a similar experience, we deserve the cred!! :wink:

fish

Likes Dirt
make the rod into a spoke if its long enough and if thats possible...or maybe i should just shudup.....

Tree Hugger

Likes Bikes
bit harsh

Fuck offs a bit harsh. That Dudes covered in sergical scars,he has more pin's in him than a pin cushion. I think he was just talkin from experience not hackin on you.I broke a mates leg in a motor bike accident and he had a Ti rod in his leg that he had to give back or pay $2000 I think.He got $20000 for compo before you make a bad mate joke.Good luck with your recovery,do what the doctors say,they know best.

fatkat

Likes Dirt
dazonic said:
I want scars dammit!! Like, proper scars, not gravel rash and pedal ping scars lol.
my dad has a 20cm scar down his right leg (thigh), and a 15cm scar on his chest, and another scar on his hip from a serious car accident about 25 years ago.

My dad has half a hip full of metal so i dont think he can give that back lol.

I have big scars on my knuckles and hips because of karting- imagine this- 80km/h going through a chicane slipping someone, getting tapped from behind and flipping out of the kart and landing on my head straight onto the track, then tumbled several times until finally crashing into a tyre barrier. scars earn cred! shows uve been trying ur hardest.. either that or doing something really stupid (like falling out of a tree hahaha)

dazonic

Likes Dirt
dazonic said:
Fuck off!
Sorry, it was more of a friendly, mate's "fuck off". Like as in, "That jump's too big" ... "Fuck off!!".
As for the whole credential thing, if they make a good story, and start off a 4 hour conversation with everyone comparing things that they and their mates and their mates' mates had done to them, i reckon it's worth something.

Tree hugger, how do you break your mates leg and work it so he still gets compo? Did work pay those 20 g's or did you!?