What camera for MTB riding?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends, how much do you want to sepnd etc etc, do you want to slam it in your pocket or have to have a backpack for it? things like this will get you a more specific type of response, i'll make a couple of suggestions both ways, if you want one you can slip in your pocket, i'm going to strngly suggest getting a shock proof type camera such as the olympus ones, and i believe that a few other companies are now making similarly designed ones, if your looking at something a bit more pricey and something that you'll need a specific bag for or a backpack for look at maybe a entry level nikon or canon, the sony DSLRs are the cheapest priced ones, i've never used one nor seen a shot form one, so i have no real info about them, canon 1000Ds seem to go alright as an entry level, or if you have a tad mroe money you can go to say a 450D or 500D, you also need to ask yourself if you want video or not (some do, some don't) the video DSLRs cost a bit more cams such as the 500D and D90, give us a tad more info and you'll be cooking with good answers i'd assume.

Zoom

Squid
Depends, how much do you want to sepnd etc etc, do you want to slam it in your pocket or have to have a backpack for it? things like this will get you a more specific type of response, i'll make a couple of suggestions both ways, if you want one you can slip in your pocket, i'm going to strngly suggest getting a shock proof type camera such as the olympus ones, and i believe that a few other companies are now making similarly designed ones, if your looking at something a bit more pricey and something that you'll need a specific bag for or a backpack for look at maybe a entry level nikon or canon, the sony DSLRs are the cheapest priced ones, i've never used one nor seen a shot form one, so i have no real info about them, canon 1000Ds seem to go alright as an entry level, or if you have a tad mroe money you can go to say a 450D or 500D, you also need to ask yourself if you want video or not (some do, some don't) the video DSLRs cost a bit more cams such as the 500D and D90, give us a tad more info and you'll be cooking with good answers i'd assume.
Just got Mr Rudds cheque, so looking around $300 to $500. Thanks for reply.

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
If your only going to spend around that much it might be better to go for a point and shoot camera, not a DSLR. If your going to be riding with it, perhaps get one of those cool water and shock proof cameras.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah with that much go point and shoot for sure, you won't get a good DSLR for that price, here are some suggestions from teds, chances are you'll find them cheaper, but teds has all the info :)

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/100110...ax-waterproof-digital-compacts--2325419_.html

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/100110...us-waterproof-digital-compacts--2325390_.html

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/100110...us-waterproof-digital-compacts--2325390_.html

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/100110...ic-waterproof-digital-compacts--2325398_.html

I have an olympus and it goes pretty good, take it snowboarding, surfing and riding, i am upgrading to a DSLR very soon, but i'll be keeping the olympus for surfing and what not, its a very handy camera to have, and the shots are of decent quality, here are some example from the olympus

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com

Zoom

Squid
Rendog, you can't expect him to scroll through 1000 + pages.:D
And I don't recall anything being mentioned about sub $500 P&S cameras.
try http://www.dpreview.com/ for the best comparisons within your price range. Then go check them out for yourself.
Look for a quality name lense in the camer. i.e Carl Ziess etc.
Thanks Alpha. I did look at that thread and there is far too much dross. Some of the cameras mentioned here already look good. What about those multiple shots you see in some pictures. Do you need a special camera for those?

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like this? Nope, done on the olympus again. You j ust need a program like photoshop to marry all the images together.

MrSafety

Likes Dirt
Yeah you need a camera that can take a few of frames per second (2 would be OK). You also need a tripod, and a camera that has the hole in the bottom. Otherwise it's a bit weird having multiple points of perspective... If you only want to do it once or twice you can probably just rest on something, but a tripods the way to go...

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's it! They are so cool. Can you do it with other cameras or is it an Olympus thing?
Nah its an every camera thing, most caeras have a sports mode, or continuous shooting or something similar, even teh super base cameras have teh ability to take the shots, you just need the software to finish the job, in saying that you can put all teh photos together in paint, its just way harder than in photoshop.

*EDIT*
MrSafety is right about a tripod if you want to do it properly you'll need one, but for the record, the shot i posted wasn't with a tripod.