What car do you drive?

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Currently driving a Nissan X-Trail T31, not the new model that looks like a Mazda but the older style, goes well, just need to get a tow bar now so i can add a bike racks to the back.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Worth noting that I am not tied to any of the original suggestions so it has been really interesting to see how you folks haul your gear.

I don't have kids but do occasionally go on 2 or 3 man trips with bikes.

I always used to have small cars with either roof or hitch racks but found that took a huge bite out of fuel efficiency. As such I am leaning towards a van, ute or suv thing.

I currently drive a pretty beat up Octavia. The last thing I am looking for is luxury or performance.

Much more into rugged / pre beat up.

Outback and forester were on my original Shortlist. Not sure they offer a huge amount more than what I have now. Better off road for sure but I couldn't justify a change for that alone. Love the idea of a Defender or Wrangler but they are much more off-road than on road vehicles. Maybe the ute is the way forward. I will have to consider a canopy or be very careful with security.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yeah I did a Thule tow bar mounted rack for a while. On of the tilt models. Took about 30% off my fuel efficiency surprisingly. About the same as my roof carriers. Have had front axle mount (rear wheel off) and a Thule Pro-Ride roof mount as well, about they take 30+% out of the fuel.
Not to be picky but fuel economy is a BS argument, none of the vehicles you mentioned are going to get within 30% of a small to medium car.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Not to be picky but fuel economy is a BS argument, none of the vehicles you mentioned are going to get within 30% of a small to medium car.
Yeah it'd be worth doing the sums (which I haven't). I was just recounting my previous experience. A bike inside a wagon is loads more efficient than a bike outside. This, I would assume, applies to all/most vehicles. Thus if I wanted a vehicle that goes off-road, I still get to pick between one that has space to put bikes inside easily vs having an external carrier and losing x% fuel efficiency.

I absolutely take you point, but economy isn't my only consideration. If it was, I'd just ride my bike everywhere, but that doesn't fulfill all my needs, one of which would be travelling a large distance in a reasonable time frame.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Just out of interest, what sort of budget are you looking at? so far there have been cars suggested covering a range of about 100k!

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We have a Mazda cx5 and a 3 - the CX5 is the family car and the SP25 is mine. 2 racks on the roof of the SP25 (up to 4 - have done it on my 6 before)
Someone mentioned Mondeo - had an MC titanium. All the kit, but as a package it just wasn't well put together - massive, massive overhang, camber problems on the rear (common - needs aftermarket offset bushes to fix). but soo much space, and I only had the hatch - two bikes in the back with wheels on no problems.
There are a few wagons as mentioned, Skoda Octavia or GolfWagon, Audi A4 and Megane are all smaller wagons, the Mazda 6, Hyundai i40 and Ford Mondeo in the mid size. Dunnydore might be it for the larges, but has less space than the Mondeo
When you go up to the small SUVs like the Tiguan, CX5, Tucson / ix35 you gain height but often trade off for rear seat and boot space.
What about a Skoda Yeti? If you can find a manual 118TSi they are great - 1.8L turbo, AWD, can take a 50mm hitch or roof racks, and fit 2-3 bikes in the back with the rear seats folded up, and can remove them completely if you want

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
Ha. Good q. I am cheap (poor) so max would be 30k but I am only saying that because i am concerned you'd laugh me off this forum for any less. I spent 16k on my Octavia and I thought that was daylight robbery.

Tbh this is only partially about what I might buy. It is also really interesting to see how other people solve their problems and what vehicles people in doing so.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Ha. Good q. I am cheap (poor) so max would be 30k but I am only saying that because i am concerned you'd laugh me off this forum for any less. I spent 16k on my Octavia and I thought that was daylight robbery.

Tbh this is only partially about what I might buy. It is also really interesting to see how other people solve their problems and what vehicles people in doing so.
Cool. at least some things can be ruled out straight away. Also not sure anyone would laugh at you for having a sensible budget! I certainly wouldn't!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Nothing wrong with a sensible budget. My 2012 commodore cost 12k... Can barely buy a similar year hatch for that.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
mid teens is as much I can ever imagine spending... As much as i'd love either an early Countach or BB512 Boxer and a Tesla in the garage.