What clipless pedals?? Opinions required please

Trumpy

Squid
Hi,

I have a '09 Giant Trance X2 that came with shimano PD M520 clipless pedals, have only had the bike for a couple of months (from new) and I think the pedals bearings are dying already. One has developed a really annoying click each pedal stroke, and the other has already been serviced by my LBS for sand and grit in the bearings. They reported damaged to bearing faces already.

Sand is unavoidable where I ride unfortunately (Wollongong escarpment and Appin) so I am beginning to think that the seals on these entry level pedals wont cut the mustard.

After opinions on longevity of pedals under these circumstances, I have never had this happen on previous bikes.
If I go for Shimano again (say XT spd's) are the seals better, or perhaps go to Time pedals, as I have had great success with the original ATACs a few years ago.

Thanks!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick with what you know.
I bought some Time atac pedals (the black platform dh style) in 2002. they are still going strong. The only issue ive had in that time was smashing them into a rock so hard that one spring broke in half. I got it replaced and away i went. They handle abuse much better than most brands (shimano, crank bros).

As you say though, seals make a big difference.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Here's my thread on which Time Atac model to get, if that's what you are referring to Al - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168396&

I ended up with the Time Atac XS - Haven't faulted them yet and they've been through some rough stuff.

The only thing I can say is in regards to the cleats...They wear out a lot quicker then standard SPD cleats becasue they are brass. I recommend adding a few sets to your order (if buying online) so that you can save on shipping in the future.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another vote for Time's. They're still one of the most reliable options out there. I don't ride in the nastiest conditions around, but I don't avoid it either. They've served me for years. ATACs and Z's. Good point about the cleats, stock up. Although I don't find the wear on them to be drastically bad. The cleats seem to need to be pretty messed up before performance is really compromised.

tomo_scotto

Likes Bikes
the sealing is better is XT models, i remember reading a how to (i think on bike radar) about drilling a hole to put grease in the pedals, and having a screw over the hole...

BT180

Max Pfaff
Another vote for Time's. They're still one of the most reliable options out there. I don't ride in the nastiest conditions around, but I don't avoid it either. They've served me for years. ATACs and Z's. Good point about the cleats, stock up. Although I don't find the wear on them to be drastically bad. The cleats seem to need to be pretty messed up before performance is really compromised.
Yeah, I'm still on my first set of cleats (about 4 months old), but I'd heard the stories so I stocked up.

I'm usually concious about trying to keep off them while walking around on concrete though.

Trumpy

Squid
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Might be heading back in the Time direction soon.
Have come across some (overseas) feedback about the Carbon XS over the normal XS, saying that the standard XS are not real tough and will crack, is that just Interwebs B.S? its a sizable price jump up to the Carbons.....

BT180

Max Pfaff
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Might be heading back in the Time direction soon.
Have come across some (overseas) feedback about the Carbon XS over the normal XS, saying that the standard XS are not real tough and will crack, is that just Interwebs B.S? its a sizable price jump up to the Carbons.....
I would've gone the carbons too, but didn't want to spend the extra $$.

Mine are holding up fine so far, but as I mentioned earlier, I haven't had them all that long. They've taken a few big hits on rocks though and have only suffered a few scratches.

Time will tell...(pun intended!)