What computer?

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Looking at getting a new bike computer GPS and am looking at something along the lines of a Garmin 510 from 99 Bikes.

I want to know if people think this is a good candidate?
Do you think it is worth picking up the performance bundle? I am not interested in the heart rate monitor but is the speed/cadence sensor worth it? Roughly a extra $120

http://99bikes.com.au/computer-gps-garmin-edge-510-classic
or..
http://99bikes.com.au/garmin-edge-510-performance-bundle-premium-hrm-speedcadence-sensor

I just want to keep track of my fitness and see how I am tracking overall. Not hard-core training tool etc. A mate of mine used a GPS watch on our last ride and that was what has me interested.

Cheers,

Nick

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
If you're not interested in your heart rate then I wouldn't bother with the speed/cadence sensor either. The speed/cadence sensor is more useful if you are doing stationary rides as I believe the GPS data overrides the wheel data when it comes to distance traveled.

Last edited:

pinnin

Likes Dirt
I just purchased one with the performance bundle. I actually got the LBS to pricematch these guys.

I find it pretty good. i'm doing a fair amount of training, and i find the cadence sensor a good sense check i guess. keeping myself around 85 -90. Otherwise I havent figured out how (i havent really looked either) to activate autostop on the device, or even if it has the functionality (similar to smartphone apps where the timeer stops if you are stopped). It doesnt matter all that much as when you upload to Garmin it has "moving time". which is the same sort of thing. Also it is very quick to get satellite connection. I also have a Garmin triathlon watch and it takes a few minutes, comparably, its instant.

Anyway..... I find it good, depends if you want to spend the coin. I didnt really mind at the price.

teK--

Eats Squid
Buy the bundle.

Sell the HRM strap and sensor if you don't want it you could get some money back.

The speed sensor assists during periods of low GPS signal or when you are on twisty windy trails where the GPS accuracy doesn't cut it. You will get more accurate records.

As mentioned it also will benefit if you in future use an indoor trainer or get a road bike as cadence measuring on a road bike is useful.

Quency

Likes Dirt
I have an edge 500. It does what I want it to. the 510 is a good unit to. a bloke I ride with has one.

I got the performance bundle. the speed/cadence sensor stays on my road bike. the cadence data on that is more important to me. handy when using a stationary trainer too as can track speed/distance/etc accurately.
on the MTB I like it a bit more natural, not worrying about that stuff.
HRM is good if you are looking to do specific training. or if you like to see the numbers after a ride.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
X2. Edge 500 bundle. Cadence is on my roadie too. I like the heartrate monitor. I'm with redbruce that it's a good training tool. 510 wifis to your computer, but to me it wasn't worth the extra coin as I just hook it up every few weeks and download it.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
I recently was looking at getting a Garmin, either the 500 or 510. Ending up getting a Cateye stealth 50. All I wanted to do is keep track of how far in riding and the ability to upload to strava so I could track my performance.

For the price the Cateye ticks all my boxes. Can't fault it yet. Got mine for around $150 a few months ago.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
X2. Edge 500 bundle. Cadence is on my roadie too. I like the heartrate monitor. I'm with redbruce that it's a good training tool. 510 wifis to your computer, but to me it wasn't worth the extra coin as I just hook it up every few weeks and download it.
I got the 510 because of the Glonass satellite features and extra accuracy in the bush. The wifi/bluetooth bollocks is a bit naff TBH and I rarely use it on the 510, however the satellite lock and accuracy is super solid.

DMan

What changed between the 500 and 510 as far as accuracy goes then? I thought they used the same method?

DMan

I should point out I only paid $150 for my bundle too. That made the gap to a 510 bundle much bigger...

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What changed between the 500 and 510 as far as accuracy goes then? I thought they used the same method?

The 510 has access to the Russian Glonass satellite system as well as the normal Gps satellites. The 500, and all other garmin edge models afaik only access the gps satellites. This is supposedly the reason the 510 has such a quick satellite lock and better accuracy in tree cover areas.

Last edited:

DMan

Cool. That I didn't know. I read a few reviews on both and it really only mentioned the touchscreen and Wifi. But like I said for $150 it really came down to the money. I'm certainly happy with mine.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Picked up a basic 510 and am loving it. The touch screen while somewhat basic is easy to use and worth it over the 500.

I then uploaded a couple of rides to Strava and found out just how un-fit I am ha. Lots of work to do!

Cheers

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Has anyone had much experience with a Bryton Rider 40?

30hrs battery life is the drawcard for me to save having to use a battery bank on a Garmin for solo 24hr use

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
Bryton Rider 50

I have a Bryton Rider 50. I inherited it from a roadie mate who upgraded to a Garmin 500.

The battery in mine is a bit questionable but I still get a lot of hours out of it. I haven't fully tested it but 8 to 10 hrs is probably not far off. I have a problem with charging it if the battery isn't dead flat. I didn't pay for it so I can't complain.

I love having a GPS computer but if I was spending my own money I'd get the Garmin 510 just for the Glonass.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I also have a Rider 50. 11 hours of battery life is achievable, but higher-level backlighting & frequent button-pushing will cut into that. Mine is showing its age in the silicon rubber button covers splitting & falling off, which means it's only a matter of time before a wet ride likely kills it, but aside from that it's still working perfectly reliably.

Heart rate straps can be finnicky; they need to be rinsed and carefully dried after riding, otherwise the salt buildup from your sweat creates a circuit that will rapidly drain the battery unless you unclip one terminal of the sensor. If you're too aggro drying them then you can bugger up the sensor base or whatever it is in the strap. And the press-studs to clip the sensor onto the strap tend to break after a while.....