What DH bike to buy for a beginner?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The 5'6" or so size is in the cusp zone for many manufacturers between small and medium. I am 5'7" and riding a small Intense. So rider preference is a big factor too. I had a riding mate about 5'9" rode a large Kona, even though within the medium standard range.

I like a small bike as it feels easier to toss around and be more responsive.
...and if you score a good conditioned beast you can keep the spec when you outgrow the frame and move onto a bigger frame

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
Yep, fair chance that you will sprout a few more inches yet! With the new DH sled, do you:
- intend to race
- want to punch out shuttles and big stuff, so need the monster
- just want a fat as pushie that looks boss?

because you may find a really well suited thrash machine that isnt pure DH machine.
Definitely intend to race DH and do a bit of Freeride.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
Your $2k budget, is this just for the bike, or all up? You are going to need to buy a full face helmet, knee guards, and goggles as an absolute minimum if you are getting started in DH, and a neck brace would be highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

I ride a lot of motocross so i was planning to use knee pads, goggles, full face helmet, jersey and pants just for starters.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looking at a medium 2011 specialized demo II. what are your thoughts?
they are a good and popular bike. dont pay too much! for some reason people think they should be able to sell an old demo for lots of cash. look real close at the forks for scratches and marks on the staunchions, make sure the suspension goes up and down nicely, wheel and frame bearings aren't flogged out and the rims arent dinged in like a golf ball. everything else is easy and cheap-ish to fix.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
they are a good and popular bike. dont pay too much! for some reason people think they should be able to sell an old demo for lots of cash. look real close at the forks for scratches and marks on the staunchions, make sure the suspension goes up and down nicely, wheel and frame bearings aren't flogged out and the rims arent dinged in like a golf ball. everything else is easy and cheap-ish to fix.
What price do you think is reasonable?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see...that bike is pretty and the spec is top shelf. I'm not going to make assertions on price, but here are some considerations:
- Seller says ono.
- Bike has been there since august.
- It is pretty old, specialized have changed frame designs a few times since that one.
- 26? I had heard rumours bikes used to be that size...
- it's a DH bike...they have a hard life.

I do suspect that itcis sold though. No reply to Dh1 from October.

OLIVER132

Likes Bikes
I see...that bike is pretty and the spec is top shelf. I'm not going to make assertions on price, but here are some considerations:
- Seller says ono.
- Bike has been there since august.
- It is pretty old, specialized have changed frame designs a few times since that one.
- 26? I had heard rumours bikes used to be that size...
- it's a DH bike...they have a hard life.

I do suspect that itcis sold though. No reply to Dh1 from October.
No it is still for sale, i Private messaged the bloke selling it.