What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I fixed a random kids bike who's qr skewer was completely undone and sticking out!

So many accidents waiting to happen, so many squeeky drivetrains too!

Why don't all new entry level bikes come with lube, set of hex keys and a link to a YouTube video on how to lube a chain and tighten bolts?
Polygon and Marin direct from bicycles on line generally do, but not the lube.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
love my holys on the commuter.... was a strong advocate of hookworms but they were heavy n way too big .... nice pic man..looks like sunny coast roads....
I nearly got hookworms then read up on them, glad I found out they're a slick dh tyre before I shelled out! The 2.4 holys are ace fun on gravel and asphalt, roll brilliantly and stick like glue, still light enough to pedal up a hill. Only problem is they give out entirely in loose sand or mud. I'm still not sure on the purpose of the bike though, so might end up with something a bit more all rounder. Not easy to find good semi slick, wide, light, 26" tyre for some reason though

...and that's Narre warren north, well within my 5km. I see where you get the coastal thing from, but it's definitely not that exotic

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
so many squeeky drivetrains too!
I hadn't ridden the Jackaroo for a while before last weekend but thought maybe it had enough lube to get me through, was squeaky as a plague of rodents by the time I hit the 15km mark, it really bothers me and I hung my head in shame with every person I rode past. I'm onto my 4th bike with the funky wax after treating the Jackaroo chain post that ride, and rode the commuter with the fresh wax this morning, damn it's quiet!

About 10km in I keep getting a creak/squeak as I pedal, definitely my SPD cleat warming up from my foot, will address that after work as it's really bothering me now with the silent drive train. I've realised nearly every creak and squeak when pedalling seems to be from the bottom bracket, but usually isn't.

Edit: passed at least 5 people with squeaky drivetrains this morning, even one guy on a super fancy looking raw finish roadie thing, thinking how could you!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Looks like I'm going all in on the bike maintenance thing...

After spending $400 on a bike stand, toolkit, bleed kit (Tektro) and other bits and bobs, I'm going to spend another $200 on this lovely lot -

I'm taking a punt on the Jagwire tubing for the bleed valve and yes it's a Rekon, I really want to try it out!

greendream

Likes Bikes
took the Ripley to the bike shop to have the upper link bearings replaced (my cost) & a lower link bushing replacement kit (lifetime warranty) whilst the swingarm is off. The bike shop will also true up the wheels & derailieur whilst it is on the stand.
Hope it stops raining soon.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I think I am going to put Rekon on the XC bike and run them this time - tossing up between then and specialized tyres
Have used a Rekon on the rear, strong dislike ensued. Might depend on your terrain though, anything slightly loose was a no go IMO. The Ardents seemed to be better on grip without too much RR/weight penalty but that was many many years ago when I used them.
Surprisingly the forekaster I tried felt great.. slippy when pushed but oh so predictable and fun.

Minlak

custom titis
Have used a Rekon on the rear, strong dislike ensued. Might depend on your terrain though, anything slightly loose was a no go IMO. The Ardents seemed to be better on grip without too much RR/weight penalty but that was many many years ago when I used them.
Surprisingly the forekaster I tried felt great.. slippy when pushed but oh so predictable and fun.
Mmmmm this is for rail trail / gravel road riding - I had considered Ardent front - Ardent Race rear - might just do that instead

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
A Rekon will be fine for gravel/ rail trail purposes. They're not much chop once the going gets wet, but for firm-ish, dry surfaces they do the job

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
+1. Strangely I got quite a bit more grip from the Rekon Race (XC tyre) than the Rekon. Turns out lots of little XC knobs grip more than Ardent-inspired but smaller "trail" tread...

A Rekon will be fine for gravel/ rail trail purposes. They're not much chop once the going gets wet, but for firm-ish, dry surfaces they do the job
They're woeful on sandy trails though...

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For gravel I run Schwalbe Thunder Burts at 2.25 on both ends, recently been putting a Racing Ray on the front for dirt.

Managed the whole gravel/rocky Mawson trail without an issue on Thunder Burts, should be the same for a rail trail.

Decent puncture protection, light'ish and roll really fast.

Minlak

custom titis
For gravel I run Schwalbe Thunder Burts at 2.25 on both ends, recently been putting a Racing Ray on the front for dirt.

Managed the whole gravel/rocky Mawson trail without an issue on Thunder Burts, should be the same for a rail trail.

Decent puncture protection, light'ish and roll really fast.
I went away from Schwable when they were ridiculously hard to put on a rim - I will keep these in mind too had looked at them as well - thought about the Pirelli Scorpion too

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I went away from Schwable when they were ridiculously hard to put on a rim - I will keep these in mind too had looked at them as well - thought about the Pirelli Scorpion too
Its the only bike I still run Schwalbe on, the TB's are awesome tyres, great wearing, big volume and fast for gravel, rail trails and dirt. Shithouse in the wet... though thats with any fast tyre.