What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'd be interested to try some rigid steel forks to see if there's a little more compliance
I did have some on my first single speed (and first 29er) and..... they weren't great. Definitely responsive, but the continuously jarring impacts through hands / wrists / forearms made riding anything technical at speed or any drops pretty ordinary - bike was an Avanti KISS for reference.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I did have some on my first single speed (and first 29er) and..... they weren't great. Definitely responsive, but the continuously jarring impacts through hands / wrists / forearms made riding anything technical at speed or any drops pretty ordinary - bike was an Avanti KISS for reference.
My carbon one is similar - but I expected that given the material (hence playing with tyre volumes). Sometimes the directness is awesome, othertimes - not so much. :p But I figured if they're going to be stiff either way I'd rather score the extra weight savings of carbon (and a lot of the steel forks are obscenely expensive for how rudimentary and overbuilt they are as well).

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I had a set of PRO Components (Shimano) and they just looked like lugged carbon forks. Then got myself a set of bike matching Niner carbon forks, the difference was night and day. The PRO forks were compliant, a smooth ride as far as rigid goes and felt really comfortable. The Niner forks were stiff and harsh in comparison.

I sold the Niners on a bike and kept the PRO forks, luckily even scoring a second set for the spares, which went into use a few years back.

So I reckon what I'm trying to say is, not all carbon forks are the same.

Last edited:

beeb

I had a set of PRO Components (Shimano) and they just looked like lugged carbon forks. The got myself a set of bike matching Niner carbon forks, the difference was night and day. The PRO forks were compliant, a smooth ride as far as rigid goes and felt really comfortable. The Niner forks were stiff and harsh in comparison.

I sold the Niners on a bike and kept the PRO forks, luckily even scoring a second set for the spares, which went into use a few years back.

So I reckon what I'm trying to say is, not all carbon forks are the same.
100%. Mine are pretty stiff because they're bike-packing rated and accordingly have thread bosses down the legs. There'd definitely be more compliant options available.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
NFI on helpful advice for your actual question, but what fork are taking off it?

Axle-to-crown on that Trifox looks like it's "suspension corrected" for a 100mm fork. Which may be perfect/way low depending on what you're after.
140mm Z2 with an a-c of 540mm. Taking into account sag, it's probably close to 500mm

ozzybmx

beeb

140mm Z2 with an a-c of 540mm. Taking into account sag, it's probably close to 500mm
Yeah, try to find something on the long end of "suspension corrected" for 120mm at least. IMO, you want a-c of at least 500mm (assuming you like the handling of your bike currently)

ozzybmx

Mate it could happen to any fork, a bit less than fully stringent QA... any of those importing Chi carbon could be up for this. The only 'good' part of this is Planet X is a UK frim and he has a direct contact. Those Chi ones in the Guangdong Province... like a needle in a haystack and no insurance.

BTW I have bought Chi bars, stems, seatposts etc... in the past with no issues. They could fail in a dramatic manner but haven't.

There is a possibility though.

beeb

Mate it could happen to any fork, a bit less than fully stringent QA... any of those importing Chi carbon could be up for this. The only 'good' part of this is Planet X is a UK frim and he has a direct contact. Those Chi ones in the Guangdong Province... like a needle in a haystack and no insurance.

BTW I have bought Chi bars, stems, seatposts etc... in the past with no issues. They could fail in a dramatic manner but haven't.

And it's not like rigid steel forks aren't known for failing either... Just because they'll typically fold rather than crack it's still going to be a sudden and unexpected stop.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

Very true

beeb

Just pull on the full face, goggles, pads, and even borrow some body armour if need be - then send it into the nearest rock garden. Either the fork or your wrists will explode, but at least you'll know which one fails first from that point onwards. :p

Jabubu

let you google that for me
So I have my r2-bike (ze Germans) order ready to go for tomorrow morning!

SKS Airchecker pressure gauge
If I'm buying quality tyres then I might as well learn what the best pressures are!

Peaty's Link Lube All-Weather Chain Oil
For wetter Cairns weather conditions (floods notwithstanding).

Stans DART refill (5 pack)
Half the price in Germany and they've fixed a decent hole already.

Schwalbe Natural Cleaning Bike Soap + Metal tin
Completely natural and ocean safe - lasts for ages.

PNW Loam Grips XL - Colour: Fruit Snack
I'm not 100% comfortable with the Deathgrips after being on larger Supracush grips.

Continental Kryptotal Fr 29x2.4 Enduro Soft x 1
Continental Kryptotal Re 29x2.4 Enduro Soft x 2

I've heard really good things about these and they suit my terrain very well. Nice tough casing and grippy compound. I thought about the Xynotal for the rear but I'd prefer the braking grip and better control of the Kryp rear.

Trickstuff 840 Power Brake Pads x 2
I replaced the front pads a couple of months ago so I reckon I might get away with replacing both at the same time with these. Again, they have a stellar reputation and they're half the price of SRAM Code pads from Pushys etc!