What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Lysty was closed, so today I hit up one of my local trails… geez, ya go overseas for a week, and all the trees fall over. So many trees down. Timed it almost perfectly with the rain… got pretty drenched putting the bike on the rack, but didn't care.

Attachments

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New wheels arrived perfectly timed on my birthday! Not allowed to open it until the family wrap it up properly..

Now I have been allowed to open the box..

They are going on the 29er Stumpy in the pic.

Sent from something to something!

Last edited:

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Got back on it to test out my knee and suspected cracked rib.

Was going great until I attempted to bunny hop the kerb and my rib gave me what for.

Still had fun up until then though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1477907514.201839.jpg

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Now that the Honzo is putting out and riding like a Thai hooker.... it's time to girl the old girl the once over.
Full strip down and rebuild, pivot bearings, headset bearings, infinity linkage bearings, new cables etc. Just gotta decide whether to drop the coin on a CC DB Coil IL or do a full overhaul on the Float X.

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
JT, have you noticed any wear on the kashima coat on the switch infinity link? Read a review that showed signs of wear after 3 months riding? Sb6 is top of my new bike list but still questioning size. I'm 90% set on medium but still that doubt (I'm 5"9 1/4, 174.5cm). Looking at your seat post it is further out of the frame than when I tried a medium, mine was only about an inch out of frame to the refurb collar. Your 5"9 yeah??

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
JT, have you noticed any wear on the kashima coat on the switch infinity link? Read a review that showed signs of wear after 3 months riding? Sb6 is top of my new bike list but still questioning size. I'm 90% set on medium but still that doubt (I'm 5"9 1/4, 174.5cm). Looking at your seat post it is further out of the frame than when I tried a medium, mine was only about an inch out of frame to the refurb collar. Your 5"9 yeah??
Hey mate,

I've had this since Dec 2014 and have put many, many KM's on it. The Kashima coating on the infinity link is immaculate. I also read that article, but I can honestly say I've had zero issues with it. I do clean it every ride or 2, depending on how sandy and grubby the drive train gets.
The bearings in the link were in need of a change, but the coating itself was perfect.

As for sizing, my mate (who's 5'10" /11") was riding this on Sunday, and it's set for his height. The seat post is usually about an 1" lower in the seat tube (its a 125mm KE LEV). I also use 170mm cranks, which means I can run he seat post a little further out of the frame.
He normally rides a Large SB5, but he's not happy with the sizing and prefers that smaller framed Medium SB6.

I'm 173cm (5'8") with relatively short legs (30" inseam) and this is a perfect fit for me. Have you had a pedal on a medium and large?

If the seat post collar is only an inch out of the frame on a medium for you, I wouldn't be thinking that a large would be the way to go. These are playful bikes that need to be ridden hard to get the most of of, so I'd suggest a Medium at 175cm. But its totally a personal choice. Yeti spec a medium from 170cm to 180cm.....

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Played around with some camera mounts, thought it might be interesting to try and capture both front and rear suspension at play... and I came up with this.

Might give it a go tomorrow and see how she holds up on the dirt.

scblack

Leucocholic
Played around with some camera mounts, thought it might be interesting to try and capture both front and rear suspension at play... and I came up with this.

How is it to pedal, while there? Surely you will knock it?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

That is a very cool angle. I'm keen to try something other than the normal head/ chest shot. Have you hung the camera off the fork before?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
That is a very cool angle. I'm keen to try something other than the normal head/ chest shot. Have you hung the camera off the fork before?
Nah, I figure there's too much steering going on for a good, consistent and stable shot.
I just got the rollbar mount this morning, however... So I'm sure I'll be trying all sorts of mounting locations. :)

BT180

Max Pfaff
Didn't have access to my car with the bike rack, so had to stuff my bike into the hatchback. That involved removing the front wheel from my Fox 36s. Still can't get used to the fact that only 2.15Nm is enough torque to tighten the axel and pinch bolts on such a critical component!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Did a full bearing change on my Devinci Spartan to try and remove a creak that was annoying me. I thought it deserved some new bits as its done 3500km.

I bought a full set of bearings and the pivot kit. Took it all apart, reused every pivot as there wasn't a single indication of any wear, but fitted all new bearings (even though most of those were still surprisingly fine as well). I also fitted a new race face Cinch bottom bracket bb92/30mm axle, but those bearings were fine really as well)

Rode it to the post office. creak was still there. swapped pedals. creak still there.

Just noticed rear wheel spokes are loose.

Last edited:

BRADSTA

Likes Bikes
Hey mate,

I've had this since Dec 2014 and have put many, many KM's on it. The Kashima coating on the infinity link is immaculate. I also read that article, but I can honestly say I've had zero issues with it. I do clean it every ride or 2, depending on how sandy and grubby the drive train gets.
The bearings in the link were in need of a change, but the coating itself was perfect.

As for sizing, my mate (who's 5'10" /11") was riding this on Sunday, and it's set for his height. The seat post is usually about an 1" lower in the seat tube (its a 125mm KE LEV). I also use 170mm cranks, which means I can run he seat post a little further out of the frame.
He normally rides a Large SB5, but he's not happy with the sizing and prefers that smaller framed Medium SB6.

I'm 173cm (5'8") with relatively short legs (30" inseam) and this is a perfect fit for me. Have you had a pedal on a medium and large?

If the seat post collar is only an inch out of the frame on a medium for you, I wouldn't be thinking that a large would be the way to go. These are playful bikes that need to be ridden hard to get the most of of, so I'd suggest a Medium at 175cm. But its totally a personal choice. Yeti spec a medium from 170cm to 180cm.....
Yeah JT i rode both medium and large. On the large the reverb collar was bottomed out in the seat tube, the medium was about an inch out. As i said in the post i started "sb6 sizing" one shop puts me on large the other medium. I personaly feel the medium with a 60 stem was a nice fit, maybe a 50 stem and wider bars will work? Cheers for the help bud!!

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Continued my efforts to properly set the new wheels up tubeless. Turns out the Spank Oozy Trail rims are something of a bastard to sort out. The weird W shaped rim bed might make engineering sense but it's a prick of a thing to tape up!!

My original ghetto effort came to nought as the fiddly nature of the rim bed meant I had an air gap around one spoke hole and so the air whizzed slowly out around the valve. Still was able to ride them but it'd flat overnight.

Used rim tape this time and...same result.

Cleaned up and then decided to go old school patience on it. The wheels are now sitting there fully dressed but with tubes in them to make sure the tape really seats. Haven't had to do this in ages!!!