What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not sure whether to post this here, the machining thread or the fuckwits thread...

Despite assurances no local shop had 1.5" stem spacers. One an hour away did but were exxy. Thus I decided to make my own. Slotted for your pleasure, remember this takes no weight on a lefty and just holds the stem to height so thin is fine.

I was going to anodise this at home but by the time I bought all the stuff I didn't have it was not worth it. If I had heaps to do then absolutely but not just a single piece. Local businesses can do it but all have a minimum fuck around charge of at least $60 so a mist of black will do. Stem needs some colour too, maybe green...

And the fuckwit part? I made this 2.5 times. Grabbed a an offcut of 50mm bar about 75mm long, perfect. Cleaned up one end and centre drilled it. Turned the od to be nice and round, swapped ends and did the same. Machined it down to the od and started to cut out the V grooved centre. Set the DRO and went in to the correct dimension. Checked with the verniers... Hmmmm oversize still. Took another couple of mm off. Checked again and yep didn't zero the calipers the first time around. OK. Next offcut was already machined one end but was a bit shorter. OK time to clean that up. Got rid of the mill finish and glanced at the DRO and saw it was already undersize. WTF? ahhhhh 40mm barstock not 50mm. Let's try again.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Not sure whether to post this here, the machining thread or the fuckwits thread...

Despite assurances no local shop had 1.5" stem spacers. One an hour away did but were exxy. Thus I decided to make my own. Slotted for your pleasure, remember this takes no weight on a lefty and just holds the stem to height so thin is fine.

I was going to anodise this at home but by the time I bought all the stuff I didn't have it was not worth it. If I had heaps to do then absolutely but not just a single piece. Local businesses can do it but all have a minimum fuck around charge of at least $60 so a mist of black will do. Stem needs some colour too, maybe green...

And the fuckwit part? I made this 2.5 times. Grabbed a an offcut of 50mm bar about 75mm long, perfect. Cleaned up one end and centre drilled it. Turned the od to be nice and round, swapped ends and did the same. Machined it down to the od and started to cut out the V grooved centre. Set the DRO and went in to the correct dimension. Checked with the verniers... Hmmmm oversize still. Took another couple of mm off. Checked again and yep didn't zero the calipers the first time around. OK. Next offcut was already machined one end but was a bit shorter. OK time to clean that up. Got rid of the mill finish and glanced at the DRO and saw it was already undersize. WTF? ahhhhh 40mm barstock not 50mm. Let's try again.
Looks very swanky though :cool:

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
started with a commute to city and had some spare time coming home so took the Yarra detour.
Bin a while since I got the spinny boi around but the kids have some ghetto kickers that are a good shape. Nailed the first two. Then got farkin boomeranged by the bike. Hit the eject button, landed on my feet and the bike bounced through the air, with a pivot bolt to the noggin.
B95837EE-E8A4-42B2-9D80-CD3922C4EDDA.jpeg

this was the good one
503D2AB0-1005-4159-9231-94088F72834D.jpeg

And this was the dud.
AFBD2D0F-195F-4B02-8EDC-F0D864FD513A.jpeg

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Yesterday I trimmed 40-ish-mm off a brand new medium Z1 coil.

Today/tonight I rode at the local, saw a spikey-boi/gurl and tested out the damper mod (successful test) before swapping in the "medium" spring for a bit of a tester. Maybe slightly under sprung, but I'll run it for a few rides and see how it goes.
20230427_183751.jpg

Compress_20230427_192617_7903.jpg

20230427_185656.jpg

20230427_185639.jpg

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nah, not really. It's pretty much just a slight push to start the topcap threads, so any preload is the just the topcap when nipped up.
FYI, that sounds like quite a bit more preload than the Marz Z1 setup. From memory if the preload cap is wound out to its minimum setting, it only just preloads the spring (maybe ~2mm) preload once the cap is installed and tightened.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
FYI, that sounds like quite a bit more preload than the Marz Z1 setup. From memory if the preload cap is wound out to its minimum setting, it only just preloads the spring (maybe ~2mm) preload once the cap is installed and tightened.
TBH, a slight push is probably a bit of an exaggeration, I can pretty much start the thread, but it would still have several mm to screw in so definitely more preload than the Marz kit

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
started with a commute to city and had some spare time coming home so took the Yarra detour.
Bin a while since I got the spinny boi around but the kids have some ghetto kickers that are a good shape. Nailed the first two. Then got farkin boomeranged by the bike. Hit the eject button, landed on my feet and the bike bounced through the air, with a pivot bolt to the noggin.View attachment 399155

this was the good one
View attachment 399156
And this was the dud.
View attachment 399157
Yikes And this is why I don't even pretend to know how to jump on a bike!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got 100m from home, stopped to see what was rubbing or stiff... nothing.
About 1km in, stopped again, nothing.
This continued up until about 5km then everything began to feel fine.

Riding an eeb for 5 weeks then riding this bike, felt like riding through custard until I got back into the swing of it at about 5km.

Couldn't believe how it felt for those first few kms. At least I know what to expect now.

Wet day at Craigburn, rAdelaide style :D yeah nah...

20230429_150358.jpg

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Got 100m from home, stopped to see what was rubbing or stiff... nothing.
About 1km in, stopped again, nothing.
This continued up until about 5km then everything began to feel fine.

Riding an eeb for 5 weeks then riding this bike, felt like riding through custard until I got back into the swing of it at about 5km.

Couldn't believe how it felt for those first few kms. At least I know what to expect now.

Wet day at Craigburn, rAdelaide style :D yeah nah...

View attachment 399211
Yeah I remember getting my wife to ride my Titan when I got back on it after a few weeks solid on the ebike. I was convinced it was rolling slowly and felt draggy lol.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Did you need the steerer replaced or was the ND tuned already installed?
steerer was already done.. I purchased it second hand and it arrived shorter than I was told it was… lesson learnt…

Nigel serviced it, filled it with his custom bits and tuned it to suit my 100kg dad bod

The ext storia in the box below received much the same treatment minus the custom parts.