What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

cammas

Seamstress
As per my confession post last night, after finally getting the rotors sorted, I took the bike out last night for a local burn to bed them in. As per some reviews I read it did take a while for them to get some heat in but some sprints up to 25km/h and some hard breaking got them to temp then I could feel them starting to bite, by the end they were great.
The brakes themselves though, felt a little weird, I noticed it with the rear after changing out the rotors so I popped out the rear pads the other day to give the lever a few flicks and it worked fine with a better feel. May need to do that to front brake as I’m wondering if it’s a sticking piston as they are the Shimano 8120 4 piston jobbies, so they may not like being pushed in or I pushed them in too much.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Damn it. Duct tape it back on?
View attachment 407302
So you didn't make it to the 3rd loop that had zero single track in it?

I'm falling out of love with this race. Just can't seem to crack a good one. The first year was amazing, the next from Apollo Bay was below par, two years ago they put in an hour long road climb as the third loop that at least had a bit of single track at the bottom, but even that was gone this year, nothing but unmaintained 4wd tracks.

On top of that, the blue stone gravel on the Forrest trail is loose as hell, the "97km" ride was actually 108, which added an hour to my ride killing any chance of a PB.

Oh oh oh, speaking of which, they were offering an Odyssey stem cap to anyone who set a PB. One of our club guys did that just and went off to claim his cap. He returned with a "100km finisher" bottle opener because they ran out of caps and aren't ordering anymore.

I get that's it hard to please everyone, but other than the 30-something kilometres through Yaugher, I could have done it on a gravel bike. Spending much coin and driving a long way to not get much out of it.

If it's the same course next year I'll do the 50 with Ex-VC on Saturday and the 30 with Little Sender on Sunday

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
So you didn't make it to the 3rd loop that had zero single track in it?

I'm falling out of love with this race. Just can't seem to crack a good one. The first year was amazing, the next from Apollo Bay was below par, two years ago they put in an hour long road climb as the third loop that at least had a bit of single track at the bottom, but even that was gone this year, nothing but unmaintained 4wd tracks.

On top of that, the blue stone gravel on the Forrest trail is loose as hell, the "97km" ride was actually 108, which added an hour to my ride killing any chance of a PB.

Oh oh oh, speaking of which, they were offering an Odyssey stem cap to anyone who set a PB. One of our club guys did that just and went off to claim his cap. He returned with a "100km finisher" bottle opener because they ran out of caps and aren't ordering anymore.

I get that's it hard to please everyone, but other than the 30-something kilometres through Yaugher, I could have done it on a gravel bike. Spending much coin and driving a long way to not get much out of it.

If it's the same course next year I'll do the 50 with Ex-VC on Saturday and the 30 with Little Sender on Sunday
8km to go on 4wd descent. Finished one handed, walk parts, ride parts.
Totally agree with what you have said re: tracks. Not only the bluestone, but some of the lumps and jumps just seemed awkward.
Quite a bit of single track was too tight, both ends of bars in the bush.
I may go back, we’ll see

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
8km to go on 4wd descent. Finished one handed, walk parts, ride parts.
Totally agree with what you have said re: tracks. Not only the bluestone, but some of the lumps and jumps just seemed awkward.
Quite a bit of single track was too tight, both ends of bars in the bush.
I may go back, we’ll see
Ooooooh, I know exactly where. Glazed both pairs of Race Matrix pads on that bit. Roasted them earlier in the day on that decent down into the creek but by the time I came out of the second loop they were good again.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep, agreed. Second one for me today and probably the last, first was 2022 so basically the same course minus the little bit of single track at the bottom of the last loop. The “upgrades” to the trails have made those trails crap and slippery, while the untouched ones over in Yaugher are just kind of meh and copping grass trees to the face can fuck off. Went ~5 min faster today than last time though which I was happy enough about given I’m older and fatter. Probably could have shaved another 10-15 min realistically if I’d pushed a bit harder but I was trying to enjoy it instead of hating life.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Can’t imagine riding 100k’s in a day anymore. 15 years ago, sure, not now. So hats off to you all.

We’re camped at Cape Conran and besides boogie boarding we rode east cape to west cape, and a few extra bits, then on the way back found some 4 wheel drive tracks under the powerlines, so why not?

Most of it was okee dokee, but some was very overgrown and I was in front on high alert for Joe Blakes. Anyway 200 metres to go, there’s a brown asleep on the tyre track. I thought it was dead, but a few stomps woke it up. It slithered away, but no way was Sue going forward ha ha, so backtrack we did to a handy exit to the road.

IMG_4020.jpeg

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Do they link up and use the three main sections of trail… Yaugher, Red Carpet and the Follow the Dog bit?
Yes, covers all of the mtb trails around Forrest, + big dirt road/4WD track loops start and finish to thin the field/make up the distance.