What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Had a rippa extended weekend in Derby with my brother Jeremy who lives in Canberra and a couple of his mates along with my other brother Nick, that lives here in Tassie.
Jeremy hasn't had a whole lot of riding experience, so did a pretty good job to manage 4 days of riding.
Kept the trails fairly easy with a pedal up to Hazy Days, down to the Derby Tunnel, around the Lake Trail and up to What-Ya-Up-Ta, for the Friday arvo. The First 13 and Blue Tier for the Saturday. Flicktery Sticks and Valley Ponds on the Sunday and a few laps around the Latrobe, Wild Mersey trails on Monday.
It was also kind of a 50th birthday ride for myself, hence the "decorations" the boys put on my bike :p
1710798759921.png

1710798778807.png

1710798817589.png

1710798854133.png

1710798875945.png

1710798898136.png

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yep totally agree with you on this, I use to think being seen was the answer but I think best thing to do is either look like a bogan who’s lost his license or be inconspicuous as possible, you know baggy shorts and shirt or t-shirt still with lights etc but definitely no Rapha.
Yeah I’m still in two minds about it, but still erring on the be visible side. Especially at dusk/night.

mtb1611

Seymour
Gotta love being a cyclist.

I took mine for a train ride and a pedal to camperdown to visit a friend. Then a ride along Sydney harbour from glebe Park. Not any of the issues that haaaaaaaaakers faced, but there was an unusually large amount of people staring at me as I rode around. Most of them with a look of confusion (I'm assuming they don't often see a middle age person enjoying riding their bike?) akin to me having used toilet paper stuck to my face and not noticing.
That's just Sydney people in general......!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In search of whether I could turn the lefty hardtail into a dropbar gravel buster I fitted up the bars I obtained from @rowdyflat
Yeah that aint going to work. Bars are a tad narrow and it felt awfully twichy. And there is a hefalump in the china shop. The bars are crazy close to the damper controls on the dual crown lefty. The bars are really nice to use on the straight section but the gap is so tight there is no way fingers can fit in there.

Likely the single crown would be fine but all in all too many buckets of gravel by the time I factor in the controls as well.

So back to the flat bars and the ali dropbars will go onto the cheapie roadie I fixed up earlier in the year. Replace the rusty and heavy steel numbers.

Worth a try. And for those interested this hasn't had a stick photoshopped out. I managed to get it to stand up in the grass to take the photo on the phone.

Last edited:

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
After the Gravel race on the weekend it was good to be doing a MTB race last nigh. Last one for the Summer series. I had absolutely nothing in the legs tho from Sat's ride (And lets be honest the less than ideal recovery program in that I went to a 50th after and drank a decent quota of beer). I was quite happy (no I wasn't) for the flat tyre on lap two, see my entry in the CotFW tread.

I also ordered a new frame for the middle giant child. Bikes online had an XL San Quinton frame on sale for $500 so will be switching parts for him when it arrives so he can look less of caricature of someone riding a mini clown bike. Should get him another year or two before I have to get the inevitable XXL frame, might even consider rear suspension for him on that one......

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The stem is erect, so as to speak.

If I try wider bars I will end up doing the whole shebang and for the cost of parts I can buy n+x where x>1. Solid idea though.
These were great and relatively cheap, Ritchey Venturemax Comp at 46cm, width on the flares is 59cm.

Can be bought elsewhere for $50'ish if you have an order you are placing anyway.

I swapped the above out after about 18 months for the Venturemax XL, 52cm wide and 65cm on the drops.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
These were great and relatively cheap, Ritchey Venturemax Comp at 46cm, width on the flares is 59cm.

Can be bought elsewhere for $50'ish if you have an order you are placing anyway.

I swapped the above out after about 18 months for the Venturemax XL, 52cm wide and 65cm on the drops.
Stop giving me options.
These bars are 440x530 would need more to make the clearance Clarence.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Clarence.
You can't extend that stem any further or you will have reach issues.

More erect stem needed, Clarence ;)

Haakon

I have a sore hand… I was riding pretty high on the angry only a really health dose of fear induced adrenaline can provide and I think in hindsight I was maybe trying to break his window… Maybe I should have hit his car harder.

ow.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a sore hand… I was riding pretty high on the angry only a really health dose of fear induced adrenaline can provide and I think in hindsight I was maybe trying to break his window… Maybe I should have hit his car harder.

ow.

I have heard that it is better to kick than punch a car, and that the side mirrors make an easy target. I don't know for sure though as I never get angry.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

ow.
Just.... why? You said yourself you have an alternative route to work that takes you off main roads (albeit adds a little more time) and puts you at considerably less personal risk and absolutely less frustration and aggression. Why not do that?

Haakon

Just.... why? You said yourself you have an alternative route to work that takes you off main roads (albeit adds a little more time) and puts you at considerably less personal risk and absolutely less frustration and aggression. Why not do that?
Yeah… It’s just so quick this way, and mostly ok. It’s been a bit of a “I’ll just go this way one more time…”. At least come winter and dim light in the mornings I think I’ll have to avoid it.