What do i get?

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, i've got 500 bucks to spend for christmas.. i've got a new 2004 craftworks on the way...and i don't no what things i should get before other stuff... if you get my drift.

What are the highest priority things i should get? I need some shinnies... and a multi tool...probably some more lube..some bike polish..hmm.. full face... stuff along those lines... What should i get ? :?

Rik

logged out
Bloody christmas threads, I wish santa loved me... although it gives me more inspiration to create a coal-fueled computer.

Umm, since you've got a bike lined up, priorities would be safety gear.
A fullface, new pair of gloves, decent set of shinguards, and a multitool should all be able to be bought under $500. If your LBS has one of those cool bike-care kits, grab it, and then you've got citrus degreaser, bike polish and chain lube in one pack.
You haven't said what riding you're doing, but things like a camelback and a decent riding jersey make life so much better out on the trail.

You won't need to change anything on the bike to improve function, but your comfort should be considered, such as grips, pedals and seat. It all depends on what you're doing with it and your personal preferences though.

MikeT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get some shinnies for sure tools riding jersey hmmmm AND SPOKEY DOKIES AND PINK TASSELS AND A BASKET OOOOHH AND A HORN

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hope to be hitting up DH trails, Dj's, and Urban.
What are these bike care kits? how much are they? is the lube and that which they come with good quality?

As for the Multi Tool.. i'd want to spend about 40-80 bucks.. which one should i get? I'll get dainese shinnies.. and probably a 661 full face or a giro full face..

As for the gloves.. i want either fox statics or fox sidewinders.. whats the difference? they look really simular except for the pattern on the back of the hand... Which is better for my riding style?

I won't need new pedals as i've got ODI Rogue lock-ons on the way.. i've got new DX Flats coming too.. and the seat i've got on my bike is rad.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for the multi tool, you can't go past the topeak hummer. i've been using mine for about a year or so now, and it hasn't missed a beat. i use the chain breaker on it in preference to the one i have in the workshop. i finaly broke a tyre lever last week after changing 6 DH tyres in a sitting, and probably 80+ in total for the year. it would still be fine if i had bothered to use the other levers i have here fro most of them, but the levers included in the tool are the perfect shape.
so yeah, hummer.
as for the rest, decent helmet, good gloves, knee/shin guards, and with the change, buy everyone who gave you money a drink as thanks, as well as the people like me for giving you such excellent advice :D

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lupine128 said:
for the multi tool, you can't go past the topeak hummer. i've been using mine for about a year or so now, and it hasn't missed a beat. i use the chain breaker on it in preference to the one i have in the workshop. i finaly broke a tyre lever last week after changing 6 DH tyres in a sitting, and probably 80+ in total for the year. it would still be fine if i had bothered to use the other levers i have here fro most of them, but the levers included in the tool are the perfect shape.
so yeah, hummer.
as for the rest, decent helmet, good gloves, knee/shin guards, and with the change, buy everyone who gave you money a drink as thanks, as well as the people like me for giving you such excellent advice :D
how much are the hummers? sound pretty good.. i was deffinitly going to get either a topeak or a park tools...
As for the drink... hmm.. you'd have to get me in the bar or buy it... considering i'm 14 foo ! :lol:

Rik

logged out
Who mentioned alcohol? I think Lupine is the type that enjoys pink lemonade, so you're more than legal to buy it for him.

I'll second the topeak suggestion. I've got an alien that's near 4 years old, and it still keeps on tooling away. As for pricing, if you're buying all this gear in one go from the one place, pricing should be a bit flexible.

juzza

Likes Dirt
remember with gloves- they all do the same job and the quality is second to none these days so with all gloves you get the most important thing is the fit. The fit. The fit. The fit. oh and remember, the fit!

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i love the alien and mcguyver tools, only reason i usualy reccommend the hummer is because it's not that often that i use ring spanners on a ride,and i carry a knife anyway, so i don't tend to need the extra's the other two come with. it also keeps the price well down.
if you or the people you ride with have any use for ring spanners, then yes, the alien is excellent.

Link

Likes Dirt
get a few cheap things then save some of your money so you can go to some of the nationals rounds over the summer....