What do we all do when....?

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
After reading in other threads that "tracks were closed due to mud etc"...

What the hell do we all ride during winter?

Please don't tell me that we just don't ride...

I know it's coming into Summer, but I have been thinking.

Advice please.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use your expert judgement, and don't ride really wet, muddy tracks.
Some people get out their road bikes, and others just don't ride during/after it's been raining.

If you must ride in wet conditions, ride around or bunnyhop puddles and mud where possible, to minimize the damage you could be doing to the trail.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I personally don't find a lot of joy in riding in mud but it all depends on the course as to whether you can ride it or not during a wet patch. In my area we tend to get more constant rain in the warmer months but things dry up a little quicker and the trails handle it better. In winter when it rains it isn't the typical tropical kind of rain so it just hangs around and makes puddles.
The type of clay in our area usually means it doesn't get too effected by rain if the line you're riding is built so that the water won't pool and is on solid ground. Believe it or not, I can lap one of our loops quicker when the surface is wet over a dry surface lap. The trail feels a lot more tacky even during rain and some riders can commit a little more.
Of course, some trails aren't like this and if ridden when wet can really leave a lasting mark on it. Many will say you shouldn't ride any trail in the wet but like I've suggested, some trails will be fine to ride when wet. Be careful though and find out what trails are accepted as rideable as trail builders tend to go mental if you don't appreciate the work gone into it and stay off it. Some carry on too much and are too protective but respecting their way is the right way to go.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Use your expert judgement, and don't ride really wet, muddy tracks.
Some people get out their road bikes, and others just don't ride during/after it's been raining.

If you must ride in wet conditions, ride around or bunnyhop puddles and mud where possible, to minimize the damage you could be doing to the trail.
My understanding is that you are supposed to go straight through the middle of it. Otherwise you are widening the trail and increasing the area the puddle covers, tho I can see following my advice will prob make the puddle deeper. Not saying your wrong and not looking for a stoush (with Popeye no less). Just what trail builders tell me.

Personally I just dial up more road kays.

driftking

Wheel size expert
A few threads on this.

I love wet riding I also think its great for skills and confidence.
I have a few rules though.

I won't ride public trails
I only ride private trails
Try to fix up any ruts creates during the ride before I leave.
Ride tracks that are majority rocky, you can't rut a rock and the water tends to run away from the track (if well built)

leadz

Likes Bikes

I ride downhill freeride dirt jumper and bmx so if it's pissing down I ride the indoor bike parks on the bmx or dj and the bmx track holds up well in the rain as well.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
My understanding is that you are supposed to go straight through the middle of it. Otherwise you are widening the trail and increasing the area the puddle covers
This is true.

It's also something i've seen plenty of times on 4 x 4 tracks. Sunday drivers in their Prado's skirting a big puddle because they don't want to get mum's taxi dirty. The muppets are doing more damage to the environment/track going around rather than through.

Well built bike trails shouldn't have puddles. Those that do need a rethink in design.

If it's been raining here in SE QLD, I'll hit up either fire trails or couch surf. No road bike as yet, and it'd be a better option than couch surfing.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The key is to build weather worthy trails.

There are increased costs to this for a legitimate one so we probably wont see it on public trails until the government gets behind the sport, but there are some basic principals to follow when building your own anyway that don't cost money.

Never exceed half the gradient of the hill your building on.
Scope out your prepared lines in the rain before you build.
Add drainage and ways to divert water, including drains, bridges via crates instead of filling with dirt, this lets the water flow under freely, water bars and ways to divert the water away from the trail. While the maintenance on a wet trail will still be slightly more you can significantly reduce it with some planning before hacking away and building a line. building with rocks helps too.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Advice please.
Its rather hard to comment given your location is unknown. But in the worst case you can always take your bike to Whistler during the Australian winter in search of an STD and some trails to ride…

Me personally I ride my local trails all year round as generally speaking the surface doesn’t get torn up – in some cases the water holds the surface together much better than when they are really dry in summer.

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
Its rather hard to comment given your location is unknown. But in the worst case you can always take your bike to Whistler during the Australian winter in search of an STD and some trails to ride…

Me personally I ride my local trails all year round as generally speaking the surface doesn’t get torn up – in some cases the water holds the surface together much better than when they are really dry in summer.
Hey, yeah sorry I shoulda been more specific, my bad.
I am situated in Vicious-toria.

Fire Trails may be the go as I am done n dusted with my days on a roadie....

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Advice please.

Easy. Get your hands on the shovels and help out the local trail fairies. Winter rain and we trails makes for great digging.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt

Advice please.
I ride my bmx alot generally because skateparks are alot more forgiving weather wise, unless its raining obviously, when i want to ride my dually, theres couple of little tracks just off a walking path on a steep little hill in the 'burbs near my house that i can shred if i cant get out to Youies or whatever, it gets pretty slippery and wild in the wet so its mega fun for such a small hit, definatly helps my sanity when i cant ride my bmx or if the trails are closed. Also ride the roadie if theres a nice day thats not too windy.. thats why they made arm and leg warmers!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After 3 years of solid rain (and now 5 months of almost none), we have given up hoping that riders will stay away. They don't. Most don't have a concept of the potential damage and time it takes to repair wet and abused trails. Certainly most don't get off the bike to help dig when they see us, let alone any other time. Amazing the amount of guilt most punters can handle.

Like others here, my recommendation is to join the local trailcare group to help make and repair trail when it is wet. The bike and components will last longer and so will the trails. As far as puddles go, the single best thing you can do is to add gravel to the puddle every time it appears and eventually the base will become hardened, elevated and therefore weather-proof. Exposed rocks on the riding line can be hammered into damp ground and that will also assist in weather proofing in the future. Pulling stones out = bad, hammering in = good.

Wet weather is the time to work on upper body fitness with trail building tool therapy. It's actually nice in the bush when it is wet as well.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go and put in some trail care hours with your local club, then come back to us if you still feel like riding in the wet weather.

As for riding around puddles - worst advice ever. As others have said, just widens the track, causes more damage and destroys lines.