What do you use for stopping internal cable rattle?

mekros

Likes Dirt
It looks like my titanium build will have to be done at home. The shop that previously started it are "busy" and haven't called me back to book in a time. I can understand their reluctance since it would not result in a build to their level of expectations, an honest answer would have been fine.

So venting over, what do you folk use for stopping internal cables from rattling around? Do you use specific tubing you can buy from the usual online bike shops, the cable tie trick, or something else more simple?

moorey

call me Mia
I have an ugly option. Too agricultural for your beautiful Ti frame, and may not work anyway.
The clear hose wedges tight, and I pull the cables so they’re tight.
My issue is different though. It was more about the cables sliding in and out during suspension compression and hitting the inside of the frame.
Best solution going forward for me is buying bikes with full external routing. Internal is a PITA if you ask me. Classic ’form before function’.

What bike? Maybe you bought the wrong Ti bike….:p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It looks like my titanium build will have to be done at home. The shop that previously started it are "busy" and haven't called me back to book in a time. I can understand their reluctance since it would not result in a build to their level of expectations, an honest answer would have been fine.

So venting over, what do you folk use for stopping internal cables from rattling around? Do you use specific tubing you can buy from the usual online bike shops, the cable tie trick, or something else more simple?
Depends on how much access you have to the internals. Normally some thin foam tubing from Clarks rubber through the headtube or bottom bracket does the trick.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

mekros

Likes Dirt
Thanks all,

Yes seen the jagwire tubing, was seeing if there is a lower cost option. Will check out what I can do about sourcing the plumbing lagging.

I am looking into the possibility of using nerf darts that have been chewed up and no longer suitable for their original use.

@moorey I have the ports, so I don't should not need the clear tubing trick. I will keep it in mind for future builds, thanks for the tips. It's also a Salsa Timberjack Ti.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I am looking into the possibility of using nerf darts that have been chewed up and no longer suitable for their original use.
You need some? I have heaps. My toddler thinks it's a great game to steal all his brother's nerf darts and destroy them.

It's also a Salsa Timberjack Ti.
Where's the heart eyes emoji? I look forward to the PYR when it's complete.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
run some dummy cables.. fill downtube with expanding foam.....
wait
pull dummy cables out
install new cables

profit?

no idea if this will or will not work

mekros

Likes Dirt
run some dummy cables.. fill downtube with expanding foam.....
wait
pull dummy cables out
install new cables

profit?

no idea if this will or will not work
I'm not an expanda foam person, if you do it wrong, then you're screwed. Besides, it's titanium, why ruin the properties of the material.

mekros

Likes Dirt
You need some? I have heaps. My toddler thinks it's a great game to steal all his brother's nerf darts and destroy them.

Where's the heart eyes emoji? I look forward to the PYR when it's complete.
Maybe I should post it as a build?

If you were local I'd take you up on the offer, the cost of a bag of nerf darts is about the same as postage, so I will let me kids go crazy and give me the ones they break.

Last edited:

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
Thanks all,

Yes seen the jagwire tubing, was seeing if there is a lower cost option. Will check out what I can do about sourcing the plumbing lagging.
Not sure what you consider low cost but your local shop should have some for a few $

I got some foam cable housing from AliExpress, $14 for 1.5m. Took the cables up through the headtube put the foam on, then pulled the cables through the ports. Nice and quiet so far.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What are the cable ports like?

I just pull the cables and brake hose tightish through the frame and tie a tiny cable-tie tightly against the ports around the cable/hose so it can't slide back and forth or gather slack inside the frame. I haven't had any rattles yet, and I've done this on 3 different frames with no internal guide-tubes so far.

Or are you trying to prevent fretting/wear on the cable outer where they go through the internal routing ports?

Last edited: