What does your ride say about you?

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forgive me this one indulgence people but a comment hurled at me when riding today has provoked action, albeit an internet one.

I have often found the need and inclination to ride my roadie, I do this in the early hours of the morning so I don't scare the public into shock seeing a fat hairy man in lycra. I have until this morning however gone un-noticed by a vast majority of folk but a question from the bleechers has provoked the question. Riding along minding my own business I was confronted in the subtle form of a yell "Nice bike, ...............F@ggot".

Should I be questioning my sexuality? Am I misleading my lovely wife?

I think not, but given the abuse directed toward my person while riding different forms of cycle provokes the question. I should indeed be concerned due to the number and varieties of bicycles I own, according to the great unwashed I fall under a many number of headings.

What about you?

The stereotypes are numerous but are there any I don't know about? Surely the much maligned STP owners know where I'm coming from. And now that I belong to the 29" steel rigid singlespeed crowd (read few) I am sure there have been comments made about your personages.

I'm not insecure and I know where I'm at in this but consider it more an exercise in human nature and a social experiment if you will. What provokes this response to a cyclist and between cyclists of different interests?
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

beaty

Likes Dirt
Well i dont think your the only person to have the whole "nice bike..faggot" treatment. I ride downhill and bmx, and i personally feel that i recieve more abuse from people whilst ridding bmx, such as "pedal power!" and also the classic " nice bike faggot". Which in a way is very funy for me, because iv got pink 888 forks (from ironhorse) and i honestly thought i would recieve more abuse for that.
oh well i guess no matter what you do people will always try to be rude and stupid..just because there jealous they cant ride as good as us.:rolleyes:

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
gotta say that i agree with the person who yelled at you...id take a good long hard look at yourself in the mirror if i were you fatman. and i think you'll find that yes, you do need to question your sexuality. certainly not a lifestyle choice that i subscribe too...

Knight

Likes Dirt
You're certainly not the only one to get that kind of attention when riding

My bike has obnoxious chequered decals (thanks Specialized) along its side that people can't help but look at. Colour: Look-at-me red. Draws plenty of "Where's your motor?" "How much is it worth?" and associated dumba$$ comments.

Bite me.
They can look in another direction.

As for what it says about me....well....I ride a bike.
Duh ;)

Plow King

Little bit.
Mine says

"Get the fuck off me, your plowing bastard."

I'm sur everyone gets stuff yelled at them by morons in cars. My favourite is when people yell "Get a car you stingy kent" Whilst they're driving past in their POS bombadore.

fatass

Banned
The usual adeliade "YEAH DOWNHILLA BROOOO" horn honking, spit hurling abuse slinging moron p platers, along with the age-old motor comment. I love telling people my pedals are worth more than their whole bikes.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
My bike says "I'm a bike, ride me. Abuse people who abuse you".
Really, when I'm the subject of abusive comments, I hurl 'em right back at them! Works orright!

Drew.

Eats Squid
Really, when I'm the subject of abusive comments, I hurl 'em right back at them! Works orright!
Yeah I bet they feel intimated by some 14 year old kid yelling at them.:rolleyes:

My bike says i'm an idiot 'cuz I ride something too small for me.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Mine says that I'm seriously mixed up. On the one hand, it's a turquoise Yeti ASR which (in theory) says that I'm really talented, fast rider and I'm likely to be very concerned about weight. This view is backed up by the Velocity VXC wheelset with Hugi 240 and Hope hubs and DT revolution spokes, the Thompson Elite seatpost and Easton Monkey SL carbon bars. So far so weightweenie...

The 500g+ Brooks saddle, the platform pedals (not SPD) and the Vanilla 100 steel coil sprung fork kind of make things a bit hard to follow as these are all components that would get you excommunicated from serious weightweenie land.

It's a bit of a paradox build spec.

I think it says that I'm more interested in how reliably my bike actually performs and how it feels to ride, rather than how many grams it weighs and how people expect it ought to be configured.

To the uneducated (or at least the non yeti aware) I'm just riding a pansy blue bike with a big brown leather saddle on it and I look like a dork.

Last edited:

Graunched

Likes Dirt
I have found the remark that gets the best response when hurled back at people who are shouting abuse at you is "Whats that? I cant hear you, you must have a cock in your mouth"

hahahhaha gets them going everytime

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably that I have more money than skill... times 1000000000000000

Except I worked hard for it - so it can go suck a fat one and compensate for my lack of abilities. :)

kyleman

Likes Dirt
yer as your average stp rider I get my fair share of abuse. You just learn to block it out.
And as for my bike thinking of me? It doesnt. Something has stuffed up in 12 consecutive rides in a row...and counting.

J-Dogg69

Likes Bikes
my ride says I ride a monster truck with a downtube thick as my forearm..
I'd say I look like I'm trying to be cool by riding a long travel dually on street but I'm not...
bombarded with futile comments from terrys in commonwhores on ps along with random noises like rawr... youd think theyd get over it after a few calls - that or newy is made up of 80% terrys... even at night when you cant see my triples or camo rims with 2.4 tyres, still get remarks..