What flat pedals should I look at?

benny amaha

Likes Bikes
G'day. Totally new to the MTB scene. I don't live far from Mt Joyce so thought it was wrong not to give it a go. Picked up a nice beginner bike today but its got these clip on pedals I'm not very keen on. Want to buy some platform pedals for it but totally clueless as to what brands I should look at.
Cheers

P.s. Here's the bike I got

speshboy

Likes Bikes
I use Jetblack superlights. Or check out Wellgo MG 1s. If you intend on using flats get some grippy shoes eg. 5 10

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
+1 for the Wellgo MG1's. About $40 off ebay, strong, and light and cheap. Can't go wrong really.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Was previously running the Jetblack superlights and they were great for me. Just put some Saints on the new bike though and first impressions are very good. Nice shape and plenty of traction, thin too.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't like my saints compared to old DX's first up. Too used to the flatter shape of the DX.

Have been riding the saints on my DJ bike with the stock pins. Got so used to them, I now have another set on my Remedy with the longer pins. Can't fault them.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Was previously running the Jetblack superlights and they were great for me. Just put some Saints on the new bike though and first impressions are very good. Nice shape and plenty of traction, thin too.
Aren't Saints thick compared to most of the other decent pedals? Nice and cheap, but if cheap is the objective, I'd rather mag Welgos. Pins would rip out easier, but bearings are possibly better, and 2/3rds the price. I'd rather spend more and get thinner though. I reckon it's worth it. Less chance of rolling off, feel better, and better ground clearance. That's my ideals anyway.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Aren't Saints thick compared to most of the other decent pedals? Nice and cheap, but if cheap is the objective, I'd rather mag Welgos. Pins would rip out easier, but bearings are possibly better, and 2/3rds the price. I'd rather spend more and get thinner though. I reckon it's worth it. Less chance of rolling off, feel better, and better ground clearance. That's my ideals anyway.
Nah, I don't think there's anyway MG1s are thinner than Saints; flatter for sure, but not thinner. Have to compare them in the metal though to see for sure.

As far as 'cheap', I think 'reasonable' is a more appropriate term. $200+ flat pedals? Seriously overpriced.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DMR V8s

DMR V8s. Grippy etc. just make sure there's locktite on the pins else they'll fall out.

Upgrade to V12s if you have cash to splash, or buy the Wellgo copies if you don't.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Anyone seen/tried Azonic's "Flat Iron" pedal....something like 10mm thin?

Last edited:

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Don't buy saints would be my advice. Poor design in my opinion, the axle only inserts half way into the pedal an hence bends easily. I mainly do XC and some AM, I wouldn't say I ride hard an I still bent them (and I only wigh 60), I can't say I was impressed with them :/ I'd go for shimano DX's, much better pedal, had mine for years an cant fault them.
I'd say plus one for the jet blacks, the slims are supposed to be good as well.
But that's just my two bob.

benny amaha

Likes Bikes
Leaning towards Wellgo MG1's... still not 100%. I weigh 100kg so something want something solid, was close to buying the saints till I read the above post.

$$ is a factor at the moment, trying to keep it down (Also ride dirtbikes, and they have made me poor)

scblack

Leucocholic
DMR V8s. Grippy etc. just make sure there's locktite on the pins else they'll fall out.

Upgrade to V12s if you have cash to splash, or buy the Wellgo copies if you don't.
DMR V12's are the go. I have two pairs, the first bought in 1999, and used hard. Has not needed any service and works perfectly.I just bought some V12 Mags and they are much lighter. Oh, I bought the V12 mags from CRC and they only cost about $70AUD delivered. Not expensive at all.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Grabbed a pic today just for comparison:

saint_MG1.jpg

Even though the MX80s are a bit thicker over the spindle than they are at the edge, they're still notably thinner at every point than the Wellgos.

benny amaha

Likes Bikes
DMR V12's are the go. I have two pairs, the first bought in 1999, and used hard. Has not needed any service and works perfectly.I just bought some V12 Mags and they are much lighter. Oh, I bought the V12 mags from CRC and they only cost about $70AUD delivered. Not expensive at all.
You sold me. Just purchased the V12's. Will head out and pull some laps on my moto Monday to ease the pain till the pedals arrive :p

Cheers

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Spike Spank pedals, thin, light and all the grip you will need.

I've been running them for about 3 months and they haven't missed a beat, fairly expensive but the best flats I've ever used.

No Skid Marks

Grabbed a pic today just for comparison:
Even though the MX80s are a bit thicker over the spindle than they are at the edge, they're still notably thinner at every point than the Wellgos.
Yeah right, they are thinner. Still I think they're a disappointing shape IMO, and from what I've heard, not the most durable. I'm sure you could find one of those kooky cutter pedals that 50% of the companies sell with slightly different machining for the same price. and the heavier versions are pretty tough.

You sold me. Just purchased the V12's. Will head out and pull some laps on my moto Monday to ease the pain till the pedals arrive :p

Cheers
Ouch. Comfortable, durable, but very outdated in width, weight and thickness. If you've got smaller feet you might love them. You won't be disappointed, you could just be happier.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Big thing for me is that the Saints still seem to feel reasonably concave, unlike the MG1s. I like the shape, but that's always a pretty personal thing. As for durability, the axle doesn't go all the way through the body, but neither does it on most higher end pedals these days, I don't see it as a huge problem. I've tried googling to find reports of broken ones too, without much success, I'm sure as a trail pedal they'll be tough enough for me; and hell, at the price, if they die I'll just buy another set.

I'm sure you could find one of those kooky cutter pedals that 50% of the companies sell with slightly different machining for the same price. and the heavier versions are pretty tough.
Happy to be proven wrong if you can show me something with the same shape, thickness and stuff, but until then I'm inclined to think that statement is bullshit.

No Skid Marks

Big thing for me is that the Saints still seem to feel reasonably concave, unlike the MG1s. I like the shape, but that's always a pretty personal thing. As for durability, the axle doesn't go all the way through the body, but neither does it on most higher end pedals these days, I don't see it as a huge problem. I've tried googling to find reports of broken ones too, without much success, I'm sure as a trail pedal they'll be tough enough for me; and hell, at the price, if they die I'll just buy another set.
Happy to be proven wrong if you can show me something with the same shape, thickness and stuff, but until then I'm inclined to think that statement is bullshit.
I've seen a pair of Saints with issues myself, and I think another set, can't recall, didn't and don't really care much, I was just surprised. Figured for the weight, Shimanno would have them dialed and indestructible. Sure I saw some on the net also. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was just the one set with bearing issues, pretty sure it wasn't, but can't prove it in a court of law so whatevers.
Crankin sells Kowa pedals for $85. I think these are a much better shaped tough pedal(nice concave too), with bolts instead of pins. These are the cooky cutter pedals I referred to, as I've seen at least 10-20 other brands selling a pedal from the same mould with different machining and pin placement and type done. I'd imagine there's some for $60.
pedal.jpg
It's all good Wombat, love the one you're with. There's better pedals IMO, even if you have to pay a pizzas worth or more for them.

Last edited:

swatto90

Likes Dirt
I've seen a pair of Saints with issues myself, and I think another set, can't recall, didn't and don't really care much, I was just surprised. Figured for the weight, Shimanno would have them dialed and indestructible. Sure I saw some on the net also. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it was just the one set with bearing issues, pretty sure it wasn't, but can't prove it in a court of law so whatevers.
Crankin sells Kowa pedals for $85. I think these are a much better shaped tough pedal(nice concave too), with bolts instead of pins. These are the cooky cutter pedals I referred to, as I've seen at least 10-20 other brands selling a pedal from the same mould with different machining and pin placement and type done. I'd imagine there's some for $60.
View attachment 261653
It's all good Wombat, love the one you're with. There's better pedals IMO, even if you have to pay a pizzas worth or more for them.
Totally lova the kowa pedals. They are super grippy, lightweight and dont look to bad either. They are also the right shape/size for my foot.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2