What frame to replace my SX trail

RealizE

Likes Bikes
So I've decided that my Medium '06 SX trail is too small for the type of riding I am now doing (all mountain, light FR). I need a bike with a longer top tube as I'm getting lower back pain when in the saddle for long periods.

So, I want to get a new frame to transfer all of my SX parts over to.

Can anyone suggest a similar style of frame that I can get in a L/XL? So, a 6.5-7" travel frame with ISCG mounts, coil or air shock doesn't matter. I prefer to plough through rough stuff so much prefer to pedal a heavy tank around all day than a light weight XC/Trail rig.

I've tried contacting the local Specialized dealer hoping to get a new larger frame, but they have informed me I cannot get an SX Trail as frame only.

So my options are to spend heaps on a boutique frame or for almost the same price get a complete mass produced bike like a Giant.

Can anyone recommend something similar to the SX Trail. I just can't seem to find anything that compares that is reasonably priced. I'm after something under $2000 for frame only.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott.

OT

Likes Dirt
The Banshee Rune would suit you, it is a 6 inch travel light freeride type frame, Large has a 610mm TT. I have the banshee rampant frame which is a 4 inch 4x frame but with the the same 4 bar pivot linkage as the rune, which i use on dh type trails littered with doubles and it rides very nicely. I would never have considered a banshee frame 5 years ago but the new lighter weight frames with the virtual pivot type linkage have changed my mind.

You can pick one up from Torpedo7 for under 2K, I got the rampant for $1400 delivered. If your not able to put it together yourself, then it's $2800 from your LBS!

beno

Cycle Solutions
Hey mate,

I'd try a longer stem on the SX first, as I can only see a longer toptube stretching you out more and putting MORE strain on your lower back. maybe a higher rise bar would help?

The more upright your back is, the less strain there will be on it. a common cause for lower back pain on mtb's and moto's is poor core strength(muscles around your spine and diaphragm), few simple exercises a day can help greatly.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies.

Looking at myself on the SX, I can see a kink/arch in the middle of my back like I am trying to squeeze into something too small. When I hang my arse over the rear of the seat an inch or two, my back straightens out (not vertically, but in a line between my hips and shoulders) and I feel more comfortable. I'm 6'1" but with long legs and arms. Currently my back looks like a "C" I want it to look like a "/" (I think).

It's hard to cough up for a Santa Cruz or Morewood frame for $3,500 when for $4,000 I can get a complete 2010 Giant Faith. As much as I like the idea of a nice non-mainstream frame, the sums really don't add up.

Decisions...