What front tyre... ?

moorey

call me Mia
lol sigh
It was 3 and 2 were banned, and this is the only one now. I have had a word with @Dozer about all this, and if you were not such a twit on here, one would not feel they had to use more than one account. And others have done the same in the past, as per your admission.
So that was the old me. Now stop being such a twit and move on as I am trying to. That would be great. Don’t you agree ?
End rant
No.
If I ‘admitted’ others have had multiple accounts, it was a criticism, not an endorsement. No one I’ve seen on here with multiple accounts has proven to be honest and upfront, either in how they represent themselves, or their trading.

Back on topic, if you’re worried about rolling resistance @Lazmo, have you tried an SS rear.
Brilliant for everything except straight line braking. Rolls so well.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The 2.4 Ardent in 26" was a different creature from every other Ardents as well; that thing had tread about as deep as the HR2 and was a great tyre. But every other width or tyre size were shallow and weak grip.
100% found exactly the same thing! I was pretty disappointed when I threw one on the rear when I went 27.5.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
WTB Ranger. Much more grippy than the tread would suggest. I’ve only used the 26 plus model but the do them in regular size. I run them front and rear. They do hate mud though but guess we won’t see any of that for a bit

moorey

call me Mia
You wer doin so well too! Untill you weren’t. Trail looks amazing. I hate you
Oh, man, yes it was. Cheeseman/Kokaine Alley was one of about 9 incredible stages in the Cragieburn ranges, day 1 and 2 of the TransNZ. Whole event is incredible, even just for fun like me. You get to do tracks you’d never find, and some private ones. Put it on your bucket list.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From a lot of your posts it seems you hit up Lysterfield quite a bit?
I absolutly love the Ikons on my XC bike around there. Loads of grip but once it goes its gone. The High Roller 2's on my other bike grip well also but they do seem much more progressive in the grip level so can slide/squirm around a lot on the side knobs if on the limit.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yep Lysty is the local track, but I tend not to ride the BFe there as the roots and hardtail are hard on my ancient back. I’m usually on the stumpy, which is out of action at the mo, so I’m riding the BFe everywhere... Lysty, Silvan, Glenfern, Candlebark, Redhill and a few other unmentionable favourites.

It’s a grip balance I’m after. I’m losing the front. I’m no super fast guy, but I like the tyres to mesh with each other, with the right fore aft give. On the stumpy I have a nic on the front and a ron on the back... and it feels balanced. The front ardent on the BFe has a bubble, so needs to be replaced anyway... so I’m not looking for the most grip, just something that works well with the ardent on the back... but yeah, the other thing to remember is that a lot of this bikes time is urban.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Lazmo im going to throw a curveball here. What if it’s not the tire and it’s your technique?
I ride at the Youis mostly and run a 2.5 DHF on the front which is well suited for the YY lose over hard and rock.
But when it dried out after winter and got real sandy I started worrying I was going to wash out the front wheel all the time. Then Lo and behold I did start washing out. Started blaming the tire and looking around for something better.
Turns out it wasn’t the tire at all.
Because I was worrying about washing out I was leaning back and taking weight off the front wheel and losing grip. Once I realised this I put the weight back where it’s supposed to be and now I have grip again, really have no need for the Michelle wild Am tire I still want but don’t really need and I’ve stopped washing out on a regular basis.
Maybe something to think about?

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Can't go wrong with Magic Mary up front.
Similar to what @Jpez said, most of the time its usually rider technique adjustments that can produce more grip. I experienced this first hand also.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nope, not technique. Ardents are terrible on the front.

If you need to keep the rear arsent, a HRII or DHF match well on the front.

I ran HRII paired to an ardent/ardent race for a long time and it was pretty good.

That HRII is gonna be terrible on the road though :/

How attached to the adent rear are you?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
How attached to the adent rear are you?
Couldn't give a rats really, but I like that it has a big casing so it smooths out the hardtailness of the bike, and it seems to works ok... I don't really focus much on the back tyre, my 'feel' needs are always about the front. Moorey mentioned an SS on the rear. Also, if I don't have to spend money, I don't, so I think I'll leave it initially, while I try a different front.

I understand people hate the Hans, I get along with him fine. I love the Germans, being from the land of chocolate and all.

Disclaimer: the above post is not intended to help in anyway

moorey

call me Mia
I wanted to love HD’s, but just found them too squirmy, and the side knobs seemed to be attached with a glue stick.