What got you into riding your bike?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Grave digger

It was my birthday ... can't remember the exact one but I think it was 7 or 8yo.

I'd just arrived home from school ... and found Mom home (I thought she was working, but she had arrange to have the day off as it was her Birthday too).

I remember Dad drove into the driveway he was early too (huh, nothing clicked in my Tv addled brain ... damn you Scooby Doo). I can still see that yellow/orangey Kingswood colour of his car :) ... I had thought he'd forgotten my birthday as he had to leave for work early, and didn't wake me up to give me my swag of pressies like they normally do :mad: :confused:

He yells out ... "Oi help me with the shopping" ... obviously I was pissing and bitching (coz he forgot my birthday) ... bah ... openned the back door and there it was

He got me this pseudo MX / Dragster / BMX thingy ... was awesome ... Matt Black Frame ... yellow number plate and "Petrol Tank" ... the skinniest (in hindsight) Fattest knobbies eva.

I'd outgrown my fixed kiddie rig ... and there it was my first real bike.

Frig'n awesome ... and boy I still remember the good times on that puppy ... riding no more then a block from my place ... and thinking it was just miles and miles from home.

d'em were the days :cool:

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Mate I think I had that EXACT same bike as my first bike. it had a black "dragster" seat and front shocks that looked like moto shocks?

It was my birthday ... can't remember the exact one but I think it was 7 or 8yo.

I'd just arrived home from school ... and found Mom home (I thought she was working, but she had arrange to have the day off as it was her Birthday too).

I remember Dad drove into the driveway he was early too (huh, nothing clicked in my Tv addled brain ... damn you Scooby Doo). I can still see that yellow/orangey Kingswood colour of his car :) ... I had thought he'd forgotten my birthday as he had to leave for work early, and didn't wake me up to give me my swag of pressies like they normally do :mad: :confused:

He yells out ... "Oi help me with the shopping" ... obviously I was pissing and bitching (coz he forgot my birthday) ... bah ... openned the back door and there it was

He got me this pseudo MX / Dragster / BMX thingy ... was awesome ... Matt Black Frame ... yellow number plate and "Petrol Tank" ... the skinniest (in hindsight) Fattest knobbies eva.

I'd outgrown my fixed kiddie rig ... and there it was my first real bike.

Frig'n awesome ... and boy I still remember the good times on that puppy ... riding no more then a block from my place ... and thinking it was just miles and miles from home.

d'em were the days :cool:

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
Necesity!

Lost my licence about 11 years ago so decided to buy a bike to ride to work on. Walked into one of my LBSs and a mate I used to go to school with was the manager. Walked out with a pretty good deal on a Wheeler 1080 hard tail. Spent about 6 months riding to work before some mates talked me into going MTBing with them. Middle of summer was about 38 degrees and we all ran out of water but I could not wipe the grin of my face. Upgraded to a Specialized FSR comp about 3 years later and now at last count there are abou 11 bikes in our house(including the beaters and kids bikes).

It keeps me fit and getingout on the trails is a great stress release:cool:

falcore

Squid
Necesity!
Me too.

Had been backpackin and did the whole Aussie in london thing, was playing rugby over there and the club president gave me a bike as part of the training. Knew NOTHIN about ANYTHIN when is came to pushies, but loved ridin round the city over there. So when I got back to Aus I intended to splash $500 on a hybrid or somethin to get around. Somehow the plan changed and I've been flogging my little dj hardtail for the last 18 months.
It's pretty much taken over my life now. I bought a van just to haul my dj and bmx round, gave up rugby and dropped 18kg to my current weight of 93, and my plans now revolve around buying some property in the next two years so I can live the life.

Danman89

Likes Bikes
Well, I did the Great Victorian Bike Ride, which then got me wanting to do Around the Bay in a Day, which then lead me into Racing Road Bikes.... Found a lot of people dickheads that raced so bought a good MTB and loved it, then got into racing and love it. So Much better atmosphere on the trails than the roads.

But the main reason I got into cycling was my brother. He played tennis when he was younger so I played tennis. He did Engineering so I am almost an Engineer now. He rides bikes so I ride bikes.

I am now taller than him and can easily beat him at tennis and I think the day I beat him on the bike will be a sad day for him!

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
This video got me into riding and downhill!!!!...... LEGEND!!!!!!!!![video=youtube;mIygwolIHjg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIygwolIHjg[/video]

fatdude

Likes Bikes
My older brother used to go riding every now and then on his 90's giant yukon , when he upgraded to a new bike he said "how about we go for a ride" , so i jump on the yukon , (all 105kg of me) and off we go , ask where we are going and he says "there are a few mtb tracks around here".

Next thing i know im riding this old bike with next to no suspension down the old DH track at killingworth , and trying not to die at the same time.

Was good fun so bought myself a hardtail to get around on , and now the trip meter is on about 600km. Id get out every day if i could , but work/wife/kids makes it hard.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
RAD - Helltrack

I saw the movie RAD and then hassled my Dad until he took me to a bike shop and told me 'Any BMX you like".
I went for the blue one with yellow-foam tube covers, and an 'X' in the downtube/toptube gusset. Layback seatpost and yellow tuffs (mags).

I have been riding ever since.
So I'd have to say it was the movie RAD.
One of my life long dreams is to ride helltrack on an old mongoose with an ice hockey helmet.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i'd never spent much time on a bike, i'm pretty unco. but i rebuilt and rode motorbikes for a while in the early 80's before getting cleaned up by a car and copping a spinal compression injury. fast forward 12 years and my son was riding BMX, younger daughter wanted to ride too, i was studying/working as a massage therapist so i volunteered to do first aid. spending all night watching everybody else have fun started to get annoying, so after seeing how much fun other mums were having at our first away meet (Northern Region) i bought my first bike, a Redline steel-frame cruiser and raced the next two away meets on that.

State Titles were happening in the next town from us that year, so i bought my current Norco cruiser off another clubby, and set my sights on getting to the finals for my 40th birthday present.. i ended up in 4th place, riding against women mostly 7-10 years younger. it was also very good anger management during what became a very messy, knock-down, drag-out divorce.

that nastiness, plus the stress of single parenting teenagers, working two subcontract jobs and moving house several times due to a volatile rental market meant i let BMX go, but i built and showed a couple of cars instead. one i still drive. a recent brush with life-threatening illness brought me back to BMX at 46, and i am totally loving it. :cool:

Last edited:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Always ridden bikes since a kid - and loved it.

What got me into MTB? 3 things in no particular order...

No traffic
Adrenalin
Adventure

Connor Matthews

Cannon Fodder
What got me into riding my bike? I always had a bike as a little kid. Rode every day to school trying to jump stuff in my mini mongoose. It was my favourite thing to do. From there I got older and got a bmx and eventually a Norco Havoc which I have now :)

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Cops were getting in the way of a good time on the motorbikes.

Even out in the middle of nowhere they get upset... body nanny country.

It appears that we are worse than murderers yet we mainly only harm ourselves. And I see more mtb bikers with injuries than motorcyclists. It's just that on the motorbike the injuries tend to be a little more serious.

Rant over. . Time to ride mtb. Let the good times roll

Fridge-Seal

Likes Bikes
Visited some family friends in Tasmania, they had some bikes and we went riding up on the fire roads and stuff near their house, had a hell of a lot of fun, so I went to a local newsagent and picked up a copy of MBUK.

From there I was converted, bought a bike, rode the hell out of it. Upgraded forks, brakes and wheels. Then uni came along and I just sorted of stopped for a while, but after a ride with some uni friends earlier in the year I realised what I'd been missing, so now I'm back into it in a pretty big way again.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The Mtb thing as an adult, was when I realised that bush walking didn't get me far off the beaten track and my knees hurt , so I figured a mountain bike would get me further for exploring and do less damage to my knees.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
we were travelling all over Northern NSW with two of my kids racing, i was first aid, and one day i looked up and thought "i can do that!" when the mums were racing. i was also divorcing my husband at the time and needed the anger management bmx gave me, so at 40 i bought my first bmx, a steel frame cruiser, and fell off a lot. then i bought a second-hand Norco Speed Metal cruiser and fell off a lot. raced State Titles that same year and scored 4th in 30+ women's cruiser, rode for another six months or so till being a single mum of teenagers got in the way. then i built a couple of cars to show.

at 46 i got back on the bike after a couple of years of hell and surgery for an ovarian tumour. bought myself a Kuwahara Laserlite Pro cruiser and hung out here on RB a fair bit, plus a couple of Oldschool bmx forums. I was using my Norco Manic hardtail for commuting by then, bought a survivor Apollo Spitfire to build up, ended up racing it at the Retro Grands in Macarthur (Western Sydney) and met the man who became my other half and that took me to Adelaide to race both Oldschool and Newschool, and recently 20" as well.

now, well, as you can see, my bike stable has grown somewhat....

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was apparently suffering mild depression after no longer being able to participate in Rugby League - was apparently to old to take the knocks and recover on a regular basis. Seen a few blokes who I knew lived a little dangerously once upon a time on motorbikes, riding mtbs. Was puzzled as I knew they wouldnt be doing anything boring, so tagged along for a ride or 2 and was hooked. Now getting up at 4:30am so I can ride and not interrupt more time with the kids and misses and absolutley love it!