What happens to old DH/FR bikes?

moorey

call me Mia
They're worth nothing.....I wouldn't even consider selling mine for the $ that it would make. Its in awesome condition for its age, and perfectly functionable, but virtually worthless either parted out or complete (saw a set of similar but newer forks on trading section that didn't get a bite at $100)

...but there must be a million DH/FR bikes out there.....are they all just gathering dust? Maybe you ride just it to church on Sunday?

Oddly, I've been chasing an older mid travel bike, but nothing really around. I guess that, like my bike, people are just holding onto them, waiting for aluminuim prices to rise and sell them as scrap, or for nosey antique hunters to stumble upon them and put them in quaint museums.

Granted, I haven't been to a race in almost 6 years, but I bet that hardly anyone is racing an older bike (6yo+), what with new stuff being soooo cheap these days. For what my 222 cost back in 2002, or my RMX in 2004, you could get 2 very well spec'd bikes with change:mmph:

So just out of curiousity, who has older bikes just sitting around, not planning to sell, and what have you got, and why are YOU holding onto them? Or are you riding them?

Me:04 Rocky Mountain RMX Pro owned since new. I imagine I'd get well under $1000 for it (even if anyone was interested), and don't have the poppy to upgrade. I'm getting back into a bit of riding, so i'll use it till it dies

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...D1000152-1.jpg

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have a 2004 IronHorse SGS world cup edition here.

And a 2004 Giant AC2. AC is for sale, if your keen PM me....

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Well, my first Mountain bike got cut up as a bit of a project to see if it was possible to build a bamboo bike frame at home - I had lots of Bamboo growing out the back, and access to the Uni Autoclave to heat treat it :p.

Next bike was ridden offroad for about 5-6 years, then modified and re-sprayed at home by me, onsold to the sister for a few hundred (I asked for less, but she insisted). Still used as a commuter.

I currently am restoring an '86 repco ladies bike, just because. It was hidden away in my wife's grandmothers shed from when she won it at a raffle new. Rode it twice & stored away, not really much rust to deal with either, plus the bright yellow matches her car :p.

My current bike is actually an '06 Reign 1, so 6 years old almost. I intend to keep riding that one for a while yet. I will either ride it till it can't ride no more, or store the frame away to build up again as I accumulate spare parts. Then, it will be donated to someone in need of a bike or kept as a backup.

The thing about DH/AM bikes is that they have limited use outside of DH & AM riding. You can get a cheaper bike more suited to riding on roads just about anywhere. The market for old DH/AM bikes is also limited, given that it's mostly enthusiasts that ride, technology changes so rapidly and like you say, newer gear is very affordable.

Sad to see them go to waste, but I reckon a lot of them are pretty much cactus by that time anyway. The rest are stored away under a house somewhere, collecting dust (whether that be the house of the original owner, or the person it was donated to).

moorey

call me Mia
I coveted those Iron horses back in the day. Still riding it?
AC's a nice bike, cheers, but only after frame to put my old shitfighter parts on. Thanks all the same.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah dad rides it haha. I was told it was ridden by bryn atkinson (maybe?) at the 2004 worlds... It literally weighs like 22kgs.
It probably passed me numerous times in practice at Vic rounds of the national in the 04 series. :clap2:

cjaty

Likes Dirt
Don't sell them people.I can see these old frames going the way of old "retro" bmx frames,like the quadrangles and the pk tippers.THese bike are getting good money today

abennyy

Likes Bikes
I have treid to sell my poor old FR bike numerous times parts and as a whole bike.

It is a true freeride bike a good old Banshee Chapparal, with Juniors Ts 24inch wheels etc etc.

Is still in warrenty as well if only I could work out a way to break it????

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't sell them people.I can see these old frames going the way of old "retro" bmx frames,like the quadrangles and the pk tippers.THese bike are getting good money today
If they were in smick condition most definatly! Exept a Downhill bike being a downhill bike, there gonna be dinted, scratched (Maybe not cracked, most old frames are industructible). I recon if you have a good one, wrap it up in bubble wrap, and bring it out in 15 years!

ray

Likes Bikes
I have a 03 Cannondale Gemini 1000, love it to bits, but will no doubt never ride it in anger again, i have 'restored' it from a falling apart mess to a bike that can now head out and ride perfectly, new forks and rear shock, brakes etc...can't think of what it would'nt be worth, could never sell it though.

Ray,

willsy01

Eats Squid
My 2003 BigHit is in my spare room at home. Scraping some cash together to pimp it out a bit.....Boxxers, Risse Racing linkage, new shock etc etc etc.

moorey

call me Mia
There's a new 03/04 (I think) big hit frame on ebay without shock going for nix. Might make a nice project bike.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So just out of curiousity, who has older bikes just sitting around, not planning to sell, and what have you got, and why are YOU holding onto them? Or are you riding them?
What: 97 Kona Misser Replica (96 Turner Burner DH sold by Kona).

Why: As a historical piece it fits well with my other bikes. Ridden rarely as 100mm of travel, V brakes and DH specific geometry limit its usefulness. It looks pretty cool so its a keeper :cool:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I regret selling my Stab Primo circa 2001. $500 ... pretty much went to a kid who is hucking it as I type I'm sure.

Its the brick with wheels, but shoulda kept it. Still have the forks and original wheels too. ... original 3 piece cranks went to an art project in Vic ... never got to see what it turned out as.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
I reckon if you look around a little closer you’ll find that a lot of ‘em are still getting ridden in anger.

My shed has:
’01 Balfa BB7 & ‘01 Boxxers: fun. It feels very right.
’02 Norco Team & ’02 Boxxers: a workhorse that refuses to die. </touch wood>
’02 Gemini & ’06 66s & DHX air: a modern day playbike.
’05 Balfa BB7 & ’03 Super Ts is a set of linkage plates away from modern angles and new components has it at 17kg.

And they all see regular use, except the ’01 BB7 which is slowly being rebuilt for retro DH racing.

It’s really only been the last year or so with the combination of significant weight reduction, carbon fibre, modern angles, and reliable quality components that I feel my bikes are starting to show their age. I guess in a few years I’ll drop $1k on a 2nd hand slacked out 14kg carbon Glory :)

moorey

call me Mia
People put too much emphasis on the bike. A good rider will be smooth and fast on any half decent bike. A hack like me will look like overcooked spaghetti on anything.
My first DH bike was a norco back in about 99. I don't think I was any faster when I bought the race bred 222 in 02, and I didn't slow down when I sold it for my Rocky RMX. I doubt that a new bike, with new angles would make any difference again.
The old excuse that DH will never be an Olympic sport as its too dependent on the riders bike is BS. Well, that was the arguement 10 years ago.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
People put too much emphasis on the bike. A good rider will be smooth and fast on any half decent bike. A hack like me will look like overcooked spaghetti on anything.
My first DH bike was a norco back in about 99. I don't think I was any faster when I bought the race bred 222 in 02, and I didn't slow down when I sold it for my Rocky RMX. I doubt that a new bike, with new angles would make any difference again.
There is an element of truth in your statement as (in my opinion) there haven't been massive changes in bike design since 2000. angles have changed a little and there is a bit more travel but park a 2001 DH bike next to a 2011 and the differences won't be that massive compared to something from the mid 90s.

buzzsaw

Squid
I have a 1999 Kona Stab Dee-Lux with the curved downtube with 2004 Monster forks and a 2001 Stinky with 2003 Super T's that I still regularly use each week. They weigh a ton but are pretty solid. Lucky I live close to some local rough tracks and have loads of fun with them.