What happens when a noob trys to fix his bike

trublusk8er

Likes Bikes
Had problems with shifting with the rear derailer whilst out on the trail so i tightend all the screws to keep her in one gear till i got home. After looking at it i notcied that i needed a new cable. So i looked up how to do it on the net and put on the new cable and adjusted the drailer it as best as any newbie can. It seems to be shifting "OK" after turning it upside down and pedaling the bike i have notice that the rear casette has a slight woble.

Does this mean that the castte is bent or is there anything else that could be causing the woble

'Alex

Likes Dirt
the rear casette has a slight woble.
Does this mean that the castte is bent or is there anything else that could be causing the wobble
There may just be a little movement in the free hub.. if its not to bad don't worry about it.
EDIT - grab a steel rule an check if any of the cassette rings are bent first thou, then check if the cassette is correctly torqued

Last edited:

mbmc

Likes Bikes
could also be that your axle is slightly bent. take your wheel out and turn the axle from one side while you watch the other you'll be able to see if it is. if it's bent just keep an eye on it in case it snaps. good luck with mate

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont see how that could be your fault if all you did was adjust the deraillieur and put a new cable in, unless when you locked it into one gear the cassette somehow came loose but i doubt it

Barrett

Likes Dirt
cassette teeth are different shapes to assist shifting so as to make the cogs look bent, but check with a metal ruler as said above to be shore they are straight.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
36t

what kind of hub is it? If its a shimano it may be loose cone bearings which can be fixed pretty easily by your LBS.

flognoffsky

Banned
It might be a loose cassette lock nut?...just take it to the bike shop you might end up braking it even further then having to fork out more money...

derelikt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look at the date people, I'm sure he would have gotten it fixed by now. Gosh, I would have expected better from you Kennith.

Marco

Likes Dirt
yeah sach they just want more posts:p lol asif he would ave got it fixed my bike hasn't worked since the day before kurt got his stp because iv got his old wheels and the rear hub is all broked

derelikt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah sach they just want more posts:p lol asif he would ave got it fixed my bike hasn't worked since the day before kurt got his stp because iv got his old wheels and the rear hub is all broked
Whats wrong with it? I know that the cones keep coming loose. The creator of this threads problem was easy, Even you could have fixed it.Actually, I doubt you can fix a bike at all.

Marco

Likes Dirt
lol zach your hilarious not :p nah yeah the thread on the back wheel (obviously) is goneskies when kurt put the wheel onto zanes bike he cross threaded it on both sides oh and the bearings look like rocks and the free wheel is loose and i don't have a cassete lockring spanner and i am waiting on the rebuild kit yay i love you zach actually i think my mum loves you more

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
depends on the freewheel/hub. Some cheapy hubs get loose and a small movement is not good however its quite normal. Best to try and tighten the cassette if you can, if that dosent work, may be time to take it to the lbs!

flognoffsky

Banned
lol zach your hilarious not :p nah yeah the thread on the back wheel (obviously) is goneskies when kurt put the wheel onto zanes bike he cross threaded it on both sides oh and the bearings look like rocks and the free wheel is loose and i don't have a cassete lockring spanner and i am waiting on the rebuild kit yay i love you zach actually i think my mum loves you more
im pretty sure derro's mum would bash you for saying that

Marco

Likes Dirt
whitey nah it's xt don't lizten to derro it's a personal joke that i can fix bikes :p i know what needs to be done and iv got in excess of 5 mm movement and kenith once again a personal joke maybes it's time to shushh now :)

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whitey nah it's xt don't lizten to derro it's a personal joke that i can fix bikes :p i know what needs to be done and iv got in excess of 5 mm movement and kenith once again a personal joke maybes it's time to shushh now :)
Ahhh hahaha, sorry to chime in!

Marco

Likes Dirt
nah it's fine love to see fellow farkiners giving support but yeah i need a cassete tool to get the lockring off to get the axle out becuase there is some wierd thing holding teh axle in place so yeah long story

derelikt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah it's fine love to see fellow farkiners giving support but yeah i need a cassete tool to get the lockring off to get the axle out becuase there is some wierd thing holding teh axle in place so yeah long story
Bahahaha I have a cassette tool for Shimano, And i also know how to get your axle out. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LOL@you.

Marco

Likes Dirt
i know how to get it out and the xassette tool isn't really a problem cus im waiting for an order GAWSSSH NUB