What helmet do you use and why do you like it?

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
This week I found out how important a helmet really is by hitting a tree at a considerable speed and was lucky enough to be able to walk away with only a mild concussion. Sadly, my Fox Flux helmet has been bent, cracked and shattered from the impact. So now I am starting to again research what other helmets are out there, but it would be great to get some first hand feedback. So, with that said, what helmet do you use and why do you like it?

GravityJockey

Likes Bikes
For XC and general stuff i use my Lazer Genesis XC not the cheapest and maybe not the best looking but definately the best fitting helmet. It uses two small cables around the outside to pull in the sides and back so you a great fit that you can change while riding if it's to loose or tight.

And for full face well Troy lee designs D2. They are the best.

Warfare

Likes Bikes
Got a Protec at the moment for DJ and riding around the place, as for full faces, the D2 is the only one I've tried on so far that fits me really well, as opposed to the Bell, 661 & Fox. Also the most expensive of the lot.

tex72

Likes Dirt
If you were happy with the Flux why not just get another.
It sounds like it performed exactly as it was intended too and did a pretty good job by proof of you still being able to post coherently ;) .

I have a MET which by the way if you manage to destroy in a crash (which I did)
they have some kind of warranty where if you surrender the helmet to them they give you a pretty good discount on a newbie (which they did)
just can't remember how much though.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just get another Flux.

Mine is great awesome adjustability, very comfortable and goes around your head at the back unlike other XC/AM helmets.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
After crack a Giro a few years ago and recently craking my cardon D2 I have went for a TLD SE2 moto helmet. Concusion sux and also I have a neck brace comeing which are designed to work with moto helmets not mtb helmets. Why not have the highest leavel of protion for your brain and neck.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most importantly go and try a few on, as best thing is if its feels comfortable.
If it is uncomfortable and you are thinking about it all the time, you will lose concentration on your riding and then will be using it to protect you head again. :(

M1$T@ M1

Likes Bikes
Helmet(s)

I gots me a Met for commuting, a Bell Bellistic (courage for your head) ,for downhill -heavy as a mother ,but, bulletproof. The cream on the cake though is my...........TA DAAAAAAH--- the TLD D2 carbon Phobia. Light / tough / vented / carbon - THE best and it only cost me $350 BRAND NEW-for the 08 model.. RRP $hitload$ :)

NSR

Likes Dirt
I have a 661 dirt lid for general riding, and I have a Mace paak 9 helmet for down hill... the mace is so comfortable, but big and heavy

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I use a 661 evolution for DH riding and i really like it. It is very light and compact and i find it to be comfatable. They also don't cost heaps.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
XC: Specialized Tactic. I just picked it up last week and after four rides now its beginning to feel like a great helmet once I could get the straps to lock in place.

I ended up getting it because of its slightly extended rear section and reasonable sized peak.

DH: Bell Bellistic, was cheap and has been very realiable. Had a couple of decent crashes and it has held up. Hot as buggery though.

Road: Giro Monza, expensive lid but great ventilation and fit.

Go Karting & Car Racing: Bell Sport II, kevlar lined and fire and adheasion proof. Lockable visor and tear off post.

I love safety!!

akashra

Eats Squid
Since starting riding, I've mostly used the same type of helmets replacing them with the same after each breakage. For road I've been using a Giro Atmos, and for XC a Giro E2. Both are lightweight, the E2 is sufficiently ventilated to not allow sticks and rocks to protrude, or too much airflow or rain through in colder months. The visor on the E2 does its job for keeping rain out of your face a bit better too.

I'm currently looking around at what helmet I'll pick up for when I go back to doing some BMX.

who...?

Likes Dirt
THE BEST helmet is the one that fits your head! End of story. Brand, looks all secondary to fit.
Spot on.

When i was looking for a full face to do DH with i shopped around and tried
this that and the other, in the end i found that the best fit for me was an
THE helmet, after that i just pick the design and colours that looked the best.

And the best bit about it is that i have not had any problems so far.

Mitch.F

Likes Dirt
dirt/street/park- i use a pro-tec bucky lasek

4x- i use a 661 dirt lid (only because the pro-tec isn't aussie standards and they don't let you race with them) and sometimes any random full face that i can borrow