What if cleats were easier to clip into?

Staneja15

Cannon Fodder
So I am doing Design and Technology at school and for my Major Design Project I am looking to create an easier way to clip into cleats for riders that are new to cleats. It should be good for race starts and being able to put your foot out on berms and easily being able to clip back in again to hit a jump or do a technical section.

I haven't come up with a design idea yet but what are your thoughts? Do you think it would be a good idea to work on and what would you want to see come out of this project? will update this thread with pictures of progress of how its all going if you are interested :)

Klips

Likes Dirt
Cleats aren't easy to clip into? I only ever have problems when my cleats are too loose in the shoe, and that's fixed with an Allen key.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
If cleats are easy to clip in..... then they are usually easy to clip out....
Something i dont like is loose cleats.. i run mine at nearly full tension so I stay where I should do..clipped in!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
magnet = weight.

eggbeaters pretty easy to enter/exit.

don't think you're on the right track here for a design project.

here's one for you, design a front wheel drive mtb or both wheel drive.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
magnets are the answer
Electro-magnet might be a consideration.
With the new Di2 Shimano shifter system now available for MTB, battery packs are already designed for frame mounting.
This would give the ability to be "held in" when you need to, and instantly "release" if needs be.

Not everyone is a weight weenie.... and egg beaters are shit.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I think its a good idea. Must be some way to easily get in but have the same effect/hold to get out. Would need to be a combination of cleat and pedal though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
An App to control cleat insertion/release would be awesome. App device on the handlebars, just tap the screen when you need to mount/dismount.

I'll only ask for 5% of the profits.

ChopSticks

Banned
I did D&T in high school and can offer a slightly different perspective.

you might have good intentions, but you might be bitting off more than you can chew.

first and formost... do you have the means to make a prototype pedal? ie do you have access to a 3d printer?, cnc, mill etc? or a shit load of money to pay people to do it?
IS IT FEASIBLE ?!?!

if your answer to that is yes... then maybe look into ALL clip-in pedal designs and try and take the best of easy design and make your own.

if your answer is no....... look into something else thats bike related.
My mate did a work stand for his major work. Takes it to every race/ride and is something you can actually use! (unlike 99% of the shit people make, but never touch again... myself included lol)

I'm in the process of designing a ceiling mounted bike repair stand, means I dont need to take bike off stand to it flip around. Something I can rotate 360.

dont forget your portfolio has the HUGE chuck of marks.... dont neglect it. If shit hits the fan with your actual project, as long as you have documented your processes, steps, R&D, receipts etc etc you will still do fine in the subject. and FUCKING BACK UP YOUR WORK ON 2 USB's/ to the cloud

Other ideas:
rip off bontragers TLR charger pump?
specific bike tools?
bike specific tool box, with trolley/wheels/drawers/lights/sound system?
phone mount, waterproof it?
lights + mounts?
does your bike have internal routing? rip off park tools magnetic cable routing tool?

it doesn't have to be unique... it just has to be good AND ANSWER YOUR OBJECTIVE.

Good Luck

Last edited:

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
i didn't mean magnets to hold your shoe to the pedal, just some small magnets to guide the shoe cleat into the pedal's binding mechanism. the design brief was to cater for beginners and/or those clipping in/out for jumps and berms, which sounds more like DH to me. hardly the kind of riding where every gram counts. i don't think the OP is intending to come up with something for XC riders/racers, who very rerely clip out.

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
eggbeaters are about as easy as youll find to clip in and out of
youll hear the usual rant from folk saying they are shit
ive owned 2 pairs of them over 7 yrs
not a prob with them
good, simple design
but of course, not for everyone

Ackland

chats d'élevage
eggbeaters are about as easy as youll find to accidentally clip in and out of
youll hear the usual well structured arguments from folk saying they are shit
ive owned 2 pairs of them over 7 yrs and in that time I've only been unclipped by a rock strike 50 times, worn through 15 pairs of shoes and had 37 pairs of soft as butter brass cleats
Since I binned them I've had not a prob with them
crank brothers always go out of their way to avoid good, simple design
not for anyone
Fixed for accuracy!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes rock strikes and eggbeaters are more a beginner thing, can't beat them for weight, ease of access and the biggie, they don't clog up with mud.

was on a ride last year in snow, others had to walk (shimano pedals), eggbeaters, slam in and pedal.

of course they won't last forever, I usually keep a spare set for my bikes, use them on the roadie now as well, beautiful pedal + design imho.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Simple. Time ATAC.
+1. I think time ATAC and Speedplay Frog already have this covered. I believe you are seeking a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, or needs a lot of $$ in R&D.

If you come up with or create a version of some piece of kit that Simplifies a complex part or tool, then that would be the way to go, IMO.

A nifty goggle lens tearoff, a hydration pack clip or strap system that won't loosen accidentally etc

As others said, document the process extensively.

teK--

Eats Squid
yes rock strikes and eggbeaters are more a beginner thing, can't beat them for weight, ease of access and the biggie, they don't clog up with mud.

was on a ride last year in snow, others had to walk (shimano pedals), eggbeaters, slam in and pedal.

of course they won't last forever, I usually keep a spare set for my bikes, use them on the roadie now as well, beautiful pedal + design imho.
This. Lost count of how many times had to stop for mates on weekend to clean clay and mud out of their spd cleats

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Lol, are you accusing Ackers of been a beginner? :D :D

Could be of course that some people can pedal strike and stay upright and also it doesn't destroy pedals so maybe not a biggie untill you change to pedals that explode on rock strikes?

Happy enough that some people love them, they are after all light as hell compared with SPDs , but gee I see waaaay more SPDs on bikes at races.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I would snap a set of beaters in minutes on the singlespeed......

If they didn't destroy my shoes first that is...

NEVER had issues getting back into SPD's in muddy conditions....