What is a faster upgrade from a Schwable furious fred for a commuter

disturbed1

Likes Bikes
I realise the furious fred is a competition XC tyre and not so much suited for footpath/road use however in quest for shortening my ride time to work, im looking for an alternative tyre to fit to a set of easton havens wheels.

ive been looking at tyres such as Schwable Supreme and schwable marathon racer as substitutes but wondering it these 'slick' style commuter tyres will roll faster then the Furious freds.

The reason why the freds are currently on the bike is largely to do with weight however in tubless setup (on hope hoops) im constantly finding myself having to pump up at least on of the tyres before every ride and being a heavy rider (100 kg) im a little unsure if they have the sidewall stability i require.

I was originally running Maxxis Igniotrs and the switch to the furious freds knocked 8 min off my 1:10min ride overnight so hoping the switch to some road suitable tyres will drop another couple of minutes atleast and have much better wear rate

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I run maxxis overdrives on my mtb for commuting. Done over 3000k's on them so far and still got plenty of tread left. I like the fact that they have some tread so if its wet or i take a short cut on the dirt they offer better traction then slicks. I haven't used furious Fred's but the overdrive is hands down aster then maxxis crossmark I previously used.

Last edited:

user name

Likes Dirt
I have the 1.5" Maxxis Detonators on my MTB hack and they work great. More of a road tyre than the mentioned overdrives but they seem to have exellent grip everywhere, even on hard pack.

Minimal punctures when used with quality tubes and very fast.

cobba

Likes Dirt
A narrow full slick tyre would be faster upgrade.
Narrow slick tires will have less air resistance, they take higher air pressures which makes them harder and roll better, they have better grip on sealed roads too.

If you like the semi slick design then I'm sure that this tyre would be faster then your current tyres, it's more suited to the road, it takes a higher air pressure, it'd roll better, it has more puncture resistance and it'd be much longer wearing.
Semi slicks don't corner as well as a full slick on the road though.

I like the fact that they have some tread so if its wet
http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_tread
http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html

It seems that tread isn't of much use in the wet on a sealed road.

Blackstar

Likes Bikes
Some other options are schwalbe city jets, michelin city's or duranos.

As you get skinnier, the ride gets harsher.

I used to run slicks. They were fast but harsh and had a few punctures.

Last edited:

Monks

Likes Dirt
conti gatorskin 700x35, fast, slick, and tough as hell. Best all round commuter mix

or

vittoria randonneur 700x35/38, even tougher, but not as fast, has some deep siping tread.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Happy medium. Possibly the best alternative, especially if you also ride a little bit of off road as well on the same bike.