What is a good Derailleur for downhill??

bennymac

Likes Dirt

Burbass

Likes Bikes
Do not buy saint!! mine lasted 5 days, i thought it had just come loose, but no it had just formed that much play over a very short period of time. I has now been sent back for warranty.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Do not buy saint!! mine lasted 5 days, i thought it had just come loose, but no it had just formed that much play over a very short period of time. I has now been sent back for warranty.
Did you get the 09 Shimano Saints or the 07 Saints?

rone

Eats Squid
This is turning into MTBR!

Both SRAM and Saint are good - both have their strong points. I have had no issues with the longevity of Saint, and I prefer the smoother shift quality of the Saint over X0/9/7, but I can appreciate the firm, if slightly agricultural, crisp shift of the SRAM system. The SRAM dérailleurs do stick out like the proverbial builders elbow, mind. Something to consider if you ride rockier trails.

Just to confuse the issue further, I run with SRAM shifters because I prefer the ergos...

Ducky Punk

Banned
obvious n00b is obvious

Buy Saint if you have the money and X7 is your on a tight budget. Number on teeth doesn't matter cos all cassette's (not totally sure cassette's with the newer XX cassette's) are limited to max 36 and min 11.

castlo

Likes Dirt
i have another thing for this, what frame is it actually running on? coz on my (rotec rl9) the draillure is a good like inch and a half, 2 inches from the casette just purely because of how the suspension works and the axle position. i run sram x.9, same as the x.0's but wihout the carbon fibre.

never had any problems with it. shifts like a charm.

hope this helps, and if you do have the deraillure a couple of inches from the casette (like mine) then you might be better off with something that sits in closer to the frame.

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
i have another thing for this, what frame is it actually running on? coz on my (rotec rl9) the draillure is a good like inch and a half, 2 inches from the casette just purely because of how the suspension works and the axle position. i run sram x.9, same as the x.0's but wihout the carbon fibre.

never had any problems with it. shifts like a charm.

hope this helps, and if you do have the deraillure a couple of inches from the casette (like mine) then you might be better off with something that sits in closer to the frame.
i uhh have a giant glory 8 comp?

castlo

Likes Dirt
i just had a look at a few pics of them and u'll be right running and sram or a saint, i just brought it up since mine sticks out a bit, pic might help put forward my point

you can see in the one how far my derailleur is from my casette,

and you can see in this one how far it sits out,

i only brought it up incase this was the same sort of set up as yours so if it sat out too far and u wanted it closer u could have gone with saint.

castlo

castlo

Likes Dirt
hahah bloody oath :) cant wait to take her racing :) gonna be sweet :) but yeah did you get the point iwas making instead of eyeballing my dropouts?