What knee pads are people using for DH these days.

jarrod839

Banned
Hi all.

So my 661 kyle strait knee pads are getting close to the end of there working life and being looking around and reading reviews but still can't decide on whats best.

Recently bought some blue grass bobcat knee pads on sale at CRC but they were too loose of a fit around the knee cap which was a deal breaker.

So what are people using these days for DH. Would like to have a similar fit to my kyle straits with good compression around the knees and at least a top strap for locking into place and nothing to bulky.

Thanks.
Jarrod

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm still running my old Pinstripe knee pads, still as solid as ever, perfect fit and very comfortable. They have a flexible infill which has saved my old knee caps time and time again. http://www.fortheriders.com.au/pinstripe-knee-pad

I also use a set of TLD 5450's which are an easy fit but not as comfortable as the Pinstripe's. They offer a bit extra protection on the top of your shins too. http://www.troyleedesigns.com/5450-knee-guards-long

I plan to buy a set of RaceFace Ambush next though, they look as though they'd be a great product for me. http://www.raceface.com/products/details/ambush-knee-guards

jarrod839

Banned
Cheers dozer.

Hows the fitting around your knee on the pinstripes and TLD. Are they a firm fit or is there a bit of movement room for pedaling etc.

The raceface pads do get good reviews and price is fairly good just can't find much info on fitting.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Cheers dozer.

Hows the fitting around your knee on the pinstripes and TLD. Are they a firm fit or is there a bit of movement room for pedaling etc.

The raceface pads do get good reviews and price is fairly good just can't find much info on fitting.
I've got the ambushes and they're sick - just size up as they're small fitting

jarrod839

Banned
I've got the ambushes and they're sick - just size up as they're small fitting
hows the fitting around your knee. Does the pad move outwards from your knee at all or does it stay firm around the knee with movement.

Really got to have compression on my knee constantly as my knees are buggered. The raceface are on my shortlist but hesitant on buying something i cant try on.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
hows the fitting around your knee. Does the pad move outwards from your knee at all or does it stay firm around the knee with movement.

Really got to have compression on my knee constantly as my knees are buggered. The raceface are on my shortlist but hesitant on buying something i cant try on.
Hmm you shouldn't be relying on pads as knee support, maybe look at a compression bandage or brace?

Anyway just double checked but nope no compression on the knee at all. That's why they're so comfy though - they allow full range of movement without restriction yet stay put perfectly

jarrod839

Banned
Hmm you shouldn't be relying on pads as knee support, maybe look at a compression bandage or brace?

Anyway just double checked but nope no compression on the knee at all. That's why they're so comfy though - they allow full range of movement without restriction yet stay put perfectly
Bugger. Thanks anyway for the info.

Have run braces before and they get smashed up pretty quick if you have a few spills and the kyle straits with there sock like fit give me the support i need.

Might travel around to a few local shops and try on the new 661 rages and some TLD stuff or see what else might be on offer.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Cheers dozer.

Both have full contact around your knee but the top of the TLD is a little looser fit and not adjustable via a strap. That is a small issue when you fall off as the pad can move a little. The Pinstripe's are a perfect fit and I've spent three days riding trails with them on with no complaints. They are the go. ;)

jarrod839

Banned
Both have full contact around your knee but the top of the TLD is a little looser fit and not adjustable via a strap. That is a small issue when you fall off as the pad can move a little. The Pinstripe's are a perfect fit and I've spent three days riding trails with them on with no complaints. They are the go. ;)
The pinstripes look like they may be worth a go and a good price just need to find some in a large.

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Try the Fox Launch Enduro Pros, they are sturdy and really hug your knee. Too much for me. Easy to find.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Try the Fox Launch Enduro Pros, they are sturdy and really hug your knee. Too much for me. Easy to find.
I think there is only the "Launch Pro" or "Launch Enduro" Not "Launch Enduro Pro"

The Pro is a hard cap, traditional knee pad, that is used by about half of the local Downhill club, a fairly "loose" fit, I really like them.

The Enduro is a tight legwarmer with a stubby cooler sewn onto it :heh:

Buntley

Likes Dirt
I think there is only the "Launch Pro" or "Launch Enduro" Not "Launch Enduro Pro"

The Pro is a hard cap, traditional knee pad, that is used by about half of the local Downhill club, a fairly "loose" fit, I really like them.

The Enduro is a tight legwarmer with a stubby cooler sewn onto it :heh:
Yeah you're right, my mistake. I mean the hard shell launch pros.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I regularly run the RF Ambush, they are fantastic. I'm guessing it's the same with all D30, but when the RF gets warm it kinda form fits to your knee. Makes them super comfy. I've ridden them on long xc rides with no dramas. The sizing is tight and the straps have heaps of adjustments. They get a bit warm but not enough to be uncomfortable due to the terry cloth inside.

Ran the Launch Pro on holiday once because the park rentals were all too big for my legs. Serious comfy as well. Put them on and honestly forgot I was wearing them. No serious stacks, but I did fall over several times into the mud. They didn't move or slip at all. Couldn't say as to Aussie weather as it was snowing the day I wore them.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
POC VPD DH. Not cheap but soooo good. Worth the money.
I wear these too although they're slipping down more noticeably now - going to do the straps up tighter and if it doesn't stay put then, I'm after something else. Somehow managed to tear right through the sticky gel stuff on one knee pad, on the inside under the strap, by simply pulling the knee pad straight down my leg when it was stuck to my leg even with the straps undone... Grrrr. Did that a long time ago, still use em.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I wear these too although they're slipping down more noticeably now - going to do the straps up tighter
I've got the old VPDs. I find washing them helps to restore their grip, they can get a bit slippy after lots of use without a clean. Probably a bit too loose on the knee for your wishes Jarrod.

jarrod839

Banned
Thanks all for the suggestions. Found some pinstripe knee pads for a bargain and exactly what i was chasing and nearly identical to my kyle straits if anything a little bit slimmer which is good.
Will give them a test at long gully on Saturday.

And thanks dozer for the suggestion.