what makes a worthy post?

look mum. no hands

Likes Bikes
Just got one of those abusive but don't get me worng messages! So don't get me wrong: what makes a worthy post on this forum?

Seems to me some people may want to check the definition of a forum.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
A worthy post has a few key points:

- Must use no capitals, punctuation or correct spelling - Actually, a lack of any education is a must.
- Must not address the topic - And not even come close. Forgetting it all together is usually the best method of response.
- Must have some form of blasphemy and/or abuse - To other members, especially Moderators.
- Include zero helpful information - Why would anyone need that anyway?
- Have at least one racist and sexist comment too - Your opinion is the only one that matters of course.

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
A worthy post has a few key points:

- Must use no capitals, punctuation or correct spelling - Actually, a lack of any education is a must.
- Must not address the topic - And not even come close. Forgetting it all together is usually the best method of response.
- Must have some form of blasphemy and/or abuse - To other members, especially Moderators.
- Include zero helpful information - Why would anyone need that anyway?
- Have at least one racist and sexist comment too - Your opinion is the only one that matters of course.

Yep thats all explained in the forum rules;)

Binaural

Eats Squid
I can tolerate some pretty terrible English (spelling, grammar etc) in exchange for an interesting question or insightful comment.

Note: none of this applies when posting in "post my ride" threads - nothing is really requried above "nice bike, mate".

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No real answer to that.

There will always be someone that has had a bad day, or had a fight with the wife etc that will pick on a post.

I think part of the problem is that the whole manner's thing goes out the window when people are on this forum (some people I should say).

It's common place on this forum for someone to make a fairly harmless comment, only to get absolutely flamed by some person or people that think it's ok to run people down.

I don't think that there is one answer to your question, everyone will have an opinion as to what makes a good thread, however it is impossible to state with one answer what actually does make a good thread or post, as it is usually only relevant to the poster, and a handful of others who are looking for the same info, or have had the same experience.

The forum Nazi element has shot up in here over the past couple of years, and it's a damn shame.

I have been using MTBR for some time as well, and I find it interesting that I am yet to cop abuse for having an opinion on that forum,

I think the mods really need to crack down on the abuse stuff in this forum.

Last edited:

R33F

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The forum Nazi element has shot up in here over the past couple of years, and it's a damn shame.

Do you not think that the membership has grown so fast over the past couple of years, and that has been part cause of the Nazi Element ?

I mean if I wanted to sift through 5'000 kids writing in 'MSN' to find something interesting, I wouldn't be here.

By abuse are you referring to the Nazi element ? Or just abuse in general ? If you say something completely stupid in your workplace or at home, do you get abuse off your friends or Family ? Even in jest ?

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I mean by forum Nazi is the person that jumps down someone else's throat without seeking clarification.

Someone that is intolereant of another's point of view

I mean it in the broad sense.

Why do I think this has occured>

I have no idea.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No real answer to that.

There will always be someone that has had a bad day, or had a fight with the wife etc that will pick on a post.

I think part of the problem is that the whole manner's thing goes out the window when people are on this forum (some people I should say).

It's common place on this forum for someone to make a fairly harmless comment, only to get absolutely flamed by some person or people that think it's ok to run people down.

I don't think that there is one answer to your question, everyone will have an opinion as to what makes a good thread, however it is impossible to state with one answer what actually does make a good thread or post, as it is usually only relevant to the poster, and a handful of others who are looking for the same info, or have had the same experience.

I have been using MTBR for some time as well, and I find it interesting that I am yet to cop abuse for having an opinion on that forum,

Conversely, do you think that the anonymity of the internet also makes people hyper-sensitive?

I've been accused of being a forum nazi over comments that I would happily say face-to-face to people & would happily cop back. I guess I just have a black sense of larrikin-esque humour & quite like a synde remark.

Also, if the forums were all just bland, polite, well-spelt and technically correct - do you think they'd be so much fun? We'd have no Sawtell/Fatty & the pie makers sarcasm, no Johnny angry self-righteousness and no Pint of stella mate! absurdity - I like that that about this place - gives it personality & keeps me coming back.

No matter what petty disagreements we all have on this forum the fact we're here shows we're linked by a common bond. I'd buy anyone on Farkin a beer* whether or not I've had e-arguments with them because frankly, they're part of the 1% of the population that I have a lot in common with.

Back OT - a contribution to the thread makes a worthy post - whether it's technical, entertaining or thought provoking, as long as it keeps the public clicking it's good.

*over eighteen of course - Enjoy responsibly!

kona_scrap

Likes Dirt
I think part of the problem might be that we can't all see each other face to face.

This means we all think we are invincinble, so we say anything we want, however hurtfull it may be, purely because we can't see that person.

There is also no fear of them punching you in the face when you make a snide comment about their mum and or other relatives.

The whole internet thing has a lot of brovado involved, forums, emailing, MSN, you name it! People all say things inside the internet to people that they would not dare say to their face.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd buy anyone on Farkin a beer* whether or not I've had e-arguments with them because frankly, they're part of the 1% of the population that I have a lot in common with.

*over eighteen of course - Enjoy responsibly!
Awh, I got so excited.................

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, I agree with both of the above.

I think that there is nothing wrong with a good stouse, but when there are no non verbal cues to keep yourself in check (to not go to far) there tends to be problems.

I'm not advocating for a sterile, bland forum, I enjoy a good heated discussion, but far to many times I have seen it turn into personal attacks.

it stops being about the issue that is being discussed, and starts to become a personal attack.

look mum. no hands

Likes Bikes
It's not really on to be told that your posts are a bloody waste of time, but dont get me wrong. I mean what is there to get wrong?

I think the person who need to pull there head in is the one write this kind of nonsense.

I live in Thailand and the percentage of people I have here is much less than1% (and the majority don't speak English), so when I get on the web-page I may get a little over excited to speak to fellow MTBers and post a few threads in one night. The night in Q, I had just finished watching NWD 5 for the uncountable time.....enough to make anyone crave to talk to another MTBer...all I had was My mother, my wife or Farkin.com.....though choice there.

It is a diverse world right, so personal opinions about others posts may be a little offside.

Practice makes perfect as far as your larrikin-esque way . Keep on trying!