What might have been......

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Do you have any stories of times gone by where you've thought about things that have happened (or not happened) and you wonder what might have come of it if things had gone different in some way? I'm nearing my mid forties and really starting to see the results on my body & mind for activities I've partaken in over my years. I'm a very active guy but feeling the slowdown in a few areas.
-I crack a pretty lame joke every now & then with people close to me saying that I've been with my beautiful wife long enough now that if I had illegitimate children running around, they'd be well over 18 and I wouldn't need to pay any benefits. Phew!
-I've played basketball forever at various levels. When I was in my teen years I played in an area that got noticed by one of the founding NBL clubs and I was on the path to training to be Professional. That stopped quite abruptly when I had a run-in with the Uncle of a kid that was trying for the same position. He was refereeing a game we played against a Japanese college, made a shit call against me so I let him have it. The Japanese guys thought they were getting written up so they ran on the court with fold up chairs! As I walked off the court to the cheers of my people (I was ejected......) I chucked a brown eye at the ref. I then had to leave the building. That same weekend I was playing on outdoor courts, dunked it and pulled the whole system down. My hand was under the steel ring which shattered my hand into 7 extra pieces. Six months later the bandages and wires came off after six surgeries and I learnt to use my arm again. While I was in hospital, the judiciary (headed by the jealous uncle that I mooned) gave me a lifetime ban from their club which was the feeder club to the NBL Team. That meant I could never progress. Harsh but I learnt a lesson in Karma back then. Anyway, I've been thinking lots about this lately as I near my last ever competition game next week to avoid hurting my body any more. I wonder what might have been if I kept my pants on that night and if I could've made something of it. I'm at peace with it, looking forward to less knee and foot pain.
-Last week on our morning walk in our local Marina at 6am trying to spot the fish & stingrays with our Pup, we spotted a body floating in the water. It was still dark but lit up enough to make it out. I jumped the fences and did as much as I could with the intention of hoping to resuscitate the guy but he was well & truly gone. Poor old guy, we know nothing more of the circumstances that led to him being in the water but again I wonder what might have been if his circumstances varied by something miniscule.

Got any yarns of what might've been for you?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A long time ago, when I was young fit and handsome, I went to south America for snowboarding adventure. Let's call it 2012. I flew with Aerolineas Argentinas. I had garnered a bit of attention during the very long flight as i was wearing an old pink bike tshirt that said i love 7 inches in the rear (one of their classier slogans). On the last leg of the flight home (auckland to sydbey) the i noticed i was receivng more attentive service than i had on the rest of the flight. Then one of their cabin crew came and sat with me for a bit. She spoke English quite well and happened to be reading a book i had read. We had quite an engaging conversation.

The plane landed and she came to help me retrieve me carry on luggage and proceeded to tell me how difficult and boring life can be in her line of work. Landing in a big city like Sydney with no friends and nothing to do except spend the night in her hotel room...Sydney is a busy place, you'll find something to do, and off the plane i got. Those long haul overnight flights can really turn your brain off!

Don't worry...I had a pretty successful time in chile, not just great snow, and a collection of women waiting for my return who had missed me all month long. Still a night in Sydney wouldn't have hurt.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
l will stick to work...

Had a few opportunities to work for different companies in different countries over the years. I stuck with the status quo because working for an international Japanese firm is pretty decent and some of the other stuff looked less so. Biggest professional challenge was knocking back an offer in Canada which I would really have liked to try but there was no going back if it didn't work out and my wife shuddered at the thought of 9 months winter a year. Similarly in the States, the opportunities were big $ but I could see how much of a shit show it really was way back then. Too much relied on where you went to school and uni and I had none of that.

Even further back was the biggest decision. I was a pretty decent golfer back before uni. Within 2 years of picking up the bats I was on a low single figure handicap. Played in a lot of proam tournaments because my father (a decent golfer in his own right) was quite friendly with a number of professional golfers. I had two offers of an apprenticeship. I could see those guys had one hell of a lifestyle. Touring around, playing the best courses and for one getting his yearly ticket to the US tour meant he netted a cool $1M per year and this was in the 80s. But I also saw the hundreds who were teaching pros and workshop pros who were barely scratching a living and had endless years of teaching groups how to golf.

The good news though is because I played a lot of sport like volleyball and cricket (fast bowler) and did gymnastics I managed to not only fuck my knees but my back as well.

No ragruts though I went full self unemployed at 56 and haven't been bored since. Fucked if I know how I fitted work into my schedule.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
I turned down the chance to play county cricket in the UK, albiet at an U15 level.
I was a fast bowler and to this day, it's the only thing I could do with ease, without even thinking about it.

So our school had a game against the local toffs, whose PE master was the U18 Sussex county cricket coach. We were playing their U15 side. Both their openers came in wearing their Sussex jumpers and started to play as though it was a bloody test match. It wasn't. 20 overs each.
My opening delivery was a head high bouncer to their no2 and then took his leg stump next delivery with a yorker. Anyway, I took four wickets that day, but we still lost.

So their master comes up to me after the game and says he wants me to go and have a couple of net sessions with them down at the county ground. I asked him when it was and he said every Sunday. No can do I told him. I race motorcycles on Sundays.... But this is Sussex cricket club he says... Sorry mate. Not interested.

Next morning, there's a note in the regsister for me to go see my own head of PE in his office. Cue massive tirade of how ungrateful I was and how they won't ask again and didn't I realsie this was a huge opportunity not to be missed. I didn't then...but I do now.

Would I have changed my mind in hindsight? Maybe? Should I have gone down once to see what it was all about? perhaps. But to this day, I have zero regrets about choosing MX over cricket. No contest. Racing a motorcycle is a beautiful thing and you only have yourself to blame if you lose.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I feel younger though! I'm hoping the quitting of the basketball will be like some misty waterfall that adds ten years of youth to you whenever it wets you. ;)

Sounds like a poster game shower ritual for the retiree to endure...

safreek

I feel younger though! I'm hoping the quitting of the basketball will be like some misty waterfall that adds ten years of youth to you whenever it wets you. ;)
The last basketball game I played was nearly 25 years ago, it turned into quite a punch up.

For some reason we all thought a whitefella vs blackfella game was a smart idea.
No one held grudges aftet the game.

Fucken stupid idea looking back on it

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The last basketball game I played was nearly 25 years ago, it turned into quite a punch up.

For some reason we all thought a whitefella vs blackfella game was a smart idea.
No one held grudges aftet the game.

Fucken stupid idea looking back on it
Imagine it now though, imagine how damn good a game it would be to watch if the pro players made this happen. That'd be so good to watch, Australia is stacked with great players.

Kind of ironic that I'm on a probation for my last game because I got a tech foul in the most recent game for telling the ref that the guy laying on the floor with the ball travelled (his feet touched the ground four times). She didn't take too kindly to the 30+ year Veteran telling her the rules. I'm planning on finishing up quietly and gracefully but geez I could go out with a bang. ;) Could be another "what if" moment.

safreek

Imagine it now though, imagine how damn good a game it would be to watch if the pro players made this happen. That'd be so good to watch, Australia is stacked with great players.

Kind of ironic that I'm on a probation for my last game because I got a tech foul in the most recent game for telling the ref that the guy laying on the floor with the ball travelled (his feet touched the ground four times). She didn't take too kindly to the 30+ year Veteran telling her the rules. I'm planning on finishing up quietly and gracefully but geez I could go out with a bang. ;) Could be another "what if" moment.
Would be a classic

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I often think of different paths I might have taken in the past and where I would be today if I had.

I was a bit of a bogan hoon when I was younger, into dirt bikes and cars. Still like both, but don't have time for any other hobbies.

I used to go out with a chick that was from the rough end of town, worked a labouring job in a local engineering business with no real qualifications.
I must have had some drive to improve myself back then as apprenticeships were few and far between in the early 90's but I took things into my own hands and started doing night courses in welding. Around about this time I had broken up with this chick for the last time that I had a on and off again relationship with and met a chick that would become my future wife. After only seeing her for 12 months she had accepted a job transfer to Townsville and asked if I wanted to come. It was an all expenses paid move and I really didn't have anything tying me down to Tassie so thought what the hell.
We lived together in Townsville for a few years, took advantage of seeing a fair whack of the east coast on motorcycles while we were there. I once again just did some labouring and welding jobs while there so when my wife had the opportunity to move back to Tassie for a promotion, I again didn't have any need to stay in QLD. I went back to the place I had previously worked because it was an easy move but soon got the itch for a change and took a job working on light aircraft at the local aviation maintenance business. (my Dad was an aircraft engineer so always had that connection)
Did that for two years with the promise from the boss for formal training that never eventuated and ended up with being laid off with several other guys, when he got himself in a fair bit of debt with the tax office, so that was a bit of a kick in the arse to do something else.
After a few jobs to tie me over I managed to get an adult apprenticeship with Caterpillar as a boilermaker/welder. As I got through my TAFE work pretty quickly one of the Engineers recommended that I do my mechanical engineering diploma. I started that a night after work and that opened up opportunities to step up to a Development Technician position, followed by a Manufacturing Engineer job and then a working as a Design Engineer.
After 15 years with the company, I moved on from CAT a couple of years ago but still work a mechanical engineer and quite enjoy my job. I'm turning 50 tomorrow and I do wonder what would have happened if I had stayed with the chick from the rough end of town, what my life would look like today.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
playing state league in the u19s at 17, was hard as they used that team as a sort of reserves with i think 3 or 4 open age players allowed. as a goalkeeper they wanted the backup from the 1sts to get game time so i played about half the games that season. was travelling 3 hours a day to uni and playing futsal 3 days a week, so gave up after that year. I probably didnt have the height to go that far, but i do sort of wonder. Did play state futsal and was asked to play for Aus but was still on a british passport, and at that age and siz e of sport a lot was about who you knew, i was good but not the top pick.
Kid just left a top afl academy this year, i told him i was very glad for the time i spent training in a good squad. Good lessons in sport and fitness. I think he got the same thing out of training in the same facilities as the pros.

out of uni got a job offer in the pilbara, girlfriend got offers in queensland. looked like the end until we both got offers from the same company in the hunter, and we're still together 30+ years on. I dont think i have to wonder too much what might have been. i didnt drink much back then but life in tom price or newman, i dont think i would have come out healthy or particularly rich.

One i do wonder about was an offer to go help establish an agent in capetown for 6-12 months. I'd done z dozen or so project trips there but 2-4 weeks in B&B's isnt the same as renting a place and properly living there. Then the manager who asked me to didnt say a word to me for 6 months and I realised that I'd be expected to do this with zero head office support, so kind of glad it just got forgotten, but i would have liked the chance.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I often think of different paths I might have taken in the past and where I would be today if I had.

I was a bit of a bogan hoon when I was younger, into dirt bikes and cars. Still like both, but don't have time for any other hobbies.

I used to go out with a chick that was from the rough end of town, worked a labouring job in a local engineering business with no real qualifications.
I must have had some drive to improve myself back then as apprenticeships were few and far between in the early 90's but I took things into my own hands and started doing night courses in welding. Around about this time I had broken up with this chick for the last time that I had a on and off again relationship with and met a chick that would become my future wife. After only seeing her for 12 months she had accepted a job transfer to Townsville and asked if I wanted to come. It was an all expenses paid move and I really didn't have anything tying me down to Tassie so thought what the hell.
We lived together in Townsville for a few years, took advantage of seeing a fair whack of the east coast on motorcycles while we were there. I once again just did some labouring and welding jobs while there so when my wife had the opportunity to move back to Tassie for a promotion, I again didn't have any need to stay in QLD. I went back to the place I had previously worked because it was an easy move but soon got the itch for a change and took a job working on light aircraft at the local aviation maintenance business. (my Dad was an aircraft engineer so always had that connection)
Did that for two years with the promise from the boss for formal training that never eventuated and ended up with being laid off with several other guys, when he got himself in a fair bit of debt with the tax office, so that was a bit of a kick in the arse to do something else.
After a few jobs to tie me over I managed to get an adult apprenticeship with Caterpillar as a boilermaker/welder. As I got through my TAFE work pretty quickly one of the Engineers recommended that I do my mechanical engineering diploma. I started that a night after work and that opened up opportunities to step up to a Development Technician position, followed by a Manufacturing Engineer job and then a working as a Design Engineer.
After 15 years with the company, I moved on from CAT a couple of years ago but still work a mechanical engineer and quite enjoy my job. I'm turning 50 tomorrow and I do wonder what would have happened if I had stayed with the chick from the rough end of town, what my life would look like today.
She now lives next door to haakon. I'll get him to put in a good word for you.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Fuck, I had a whole story almost written out and Chrome crashed...

So here's the TLDR; version -
  • Got invited to my cousin's party at a bar in another town - she really wanted me to meet her two Aussie backpacker mates.
  • I didn't want go as I was having a good time and backpackers are rough, but was eventually convinced.
  • I met both backpackers, spent all evening with one of them, we got engaged five months later, then married five months after that.
  • We moved to Australia, started a business, had children, bought a house.
  • Still married to her :)
Imagine if I hadn't gone to that party..

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
It sounds like you've kicked some bloody good goals. ;) Have you ever thought to look up old love and see if she's a gutter basher?
Well, of all the places she could have moved to, she is now in Townsville.

Fuck, I had a whole story almost written out and Chrome crashed...

So here's the TLDR; version -
  • Got invited to my cousin's party at a bar in another town - she really wanted me to meet her two Aussie backpacker mates.
  • I didn't want go as I was having a good time and backpackers are rough, but was eventually convinced.
  • I met both backpackers, spent all evening with one of them, we got engaged five months later, then married five months after that.
  • We moved to Australia, started a business, had children, bought a house.
  • Still married to her :)
Imagine if I hadn't gone to that party..
Yeah, it's crazy how little things can big impacts to your life and how much different it could have been if you went down a different path.