What might have been......

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Fuck, I had a whole story almost written out and Chrome crashed...

So here's the TLDR; version -
  • Got invited to my cousin's party at a bar in another town - she really wanted me to meet her two Aussie backpacker mates.
  • I didn't want go as I was having a good time and backpackers are rough, but was eventually convinced.
  • I met both backpackers, spent all evening with one of them, we got engaged five months later, then married five months after that.
  • We moved to Australia, started a business, had children, bought a house.
  • Still married to her :)
Imagine if I hadn't gone to that party..
Do GWM even send utes to pomgolia? You'd probably still be happily driving around in the Lada Niva.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Started my PhD back in the UK after Uni as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.
6 weeks in, my PhD supervisor announces he's got a job in Sydney and he was bringing as many as he could. I wasn't sure as I had a longterm GF at the time. Decided I'm going and she agreed. We didn't officially ever break-up, but more agreed to end things and still be friends after a couple of weeks in Thailand on my way to Sydney.
Get over to Sydney with a few others, have a really shit first year and think about jacking it in
Start going to the pub on a Friday with another new-ish PhD student thats a bit more outgoing
Start going every week, and make some mates.
One of the guys has some mates coming over from Perth for a weekend to visit him. We arrange to meet him later for night on the piss. I'd worn a pair of jeans that day and suffered for it all day, but it meant I didn't have to head home, and I likely wouldn't have gone out. Hit it off with one of his mates, we hung out the entire weekend and then before she goes back she asks me to come visit her in Perth
I do, and then we do long distance for a year with semi-regular visits to each other
Finish PhD, move to Perth
Still here, been married 8 years and have 3 kids

Imagine if I'd decided to stay in the UK, decided to quit or not gone out that Friday night - things would be pretty different.
Often think of the sliding door moment where I'd put some jeans on the morning I met the (now) wife, could have a pretty different last 13 years...

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Not buying bitcoin as a joke buy back in 2011. I will eternally regret this as i could be retired by now.

constantly doing physical work and not trying to get into office type work or something less physically demanding. my left shoulder is cooked

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We all have a bunch I am sure. I went into business with a guy I met through MTB and it went to shit. We had a product that could have gone pretty big, that all went in the bin and I ended up in Canberra, which in hindsight is a great outcome for me.

Then I did it a second time, but this was a side business purely for MTB and not to make a living or become wealthy. It finished too eventually but on very different terms and there was a signed agreement from the start. I'm still in contact with this guy. The other guy dropped off the face of the planet, strange for a person in the website industry.

My wife and I only met because the strippers at the local pub near work were cancelled so I was in the front bar where we had a game of pool and arranged to catch up the next night at my work xmas party which was at the same pub. As for ex's, I'm in touch with three of them that are now with women, so nothing was ever gonna come of those, and the others were only ever a few months dating until I met my mrs.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Got a few moments.

Leanne at Macca's when we were 15ish. Super sweet on each other but neither of us actually did anything about it. Can't remember her surname now to even start looking her up. 100% the basis of my mindset of giving everything a go so there are no "what if" regrets later in life.

Landed my printing apprenticeship at the end of year 12, just before I turned 17. Realised it pretty much my only chance of having a decent life. Also realised very quickly that my parents were going to milk my success for everything they could get. Got the hell out of dodge ASAP. Still reminded to this day by my brother, and until recently my sister, how good a move that was.

The biggest one though? I really didn't feel like going out that night, but I was over living life by myself more. I'm pretty sure I was only invited because he was being nice, I knew him and I had given his WRX a flogging, but I didn't know him that well. But if I hadn't gone to my brother's best mate's 21st, Mrs George and I wouldn't have celebrated our 17th Wedding anniversary yesterday.