What new bike should I get?

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
Hey I was just after some suggestions on what sort of bike to get. I currnetly have a 2002 Giant DH Comp, but i am selling that to get a new one. I race dh competively so I want a high end dh bike. I am currently looking at the 2003 GT DHI, what do u think of it or does anyone ride one and knows how they go? Any suggestions of other bikes?
Cheers

G

I like the Craftworks 208DH but thats just me.

This guy my age(17) just got his parents to buy him a 2003 RM7 wade simmons

S.

ex offender
The GT's are sweet bikes, they pedal and handle nicely. However, from riding one around a bit I'd say you need to run them a bit undersprung to get full use of the suspension; I'm not really sure why that is but they feel slightly too stiff when they're supposedly set up correctly. However the geometry is pretty good, and like I said they pedal really well. They come with pretty good parts too (to my knowledge you can't get them as frame only this year, which is weird).

Have you considered a Balfa BB7? $4000rrp for the frame, and they pedal and handle really well too. Also the new Iron Horses are supposed to be pretty sick, pretty cheap too. There's the obvious choices like 222s and M1s too, but if you're willing to pay that much I'd check out a Turner too, they feel farkin insane.

Jess_Dawg

Likes Dirt
Gt's are nice, but i'v heard that the XTR cranks and BB are weak. my friend has a new one and bent the BB and crank arm but besides that there really nice. but i'd go for a 222 if you have the money i just started riding mine and i'm loving it but thats just me either bike is really nice

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I had a DHi for about a year and I loved it. They ride awsome andthe gepmetry was just about perfect for me.
The only thing I would be at all worried about is the swingarm cracking. All of the first shipment of DHis cracked and were replaced under warranty and the guy who I sold my one to recently cracked the warranty frame. I don't know if the 03 model is any different, you'd think they'd have it sorted now though.

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
Yeah i have only had a quick ride on a GT from guy from racing. It felt pretty good except it was a medium frame, i was after a small. I havent really thought about a Balfa, how much do they retail for? Also how much is the retail on the top of the line iron horse, i've had a look at them at they look pretty sweat. I really love the 222 but i dont know im going to have to have a look into it

S.

ex offender
scottie2069 said:
Yeah i have only had a quick ride on a GT from guy from racing. It felt pretty good except it was a medium frame, i was after a small. I havent really thought about a Balfa, how much do they retail for? Also how much is the retail on the top of the line iron horse, i've had a look at them at they look pretty sweat. I really love the 222 but i dont know im going to have to have a look into it

The Balfas retail for $4000 with Fox shock, $4500 with 5th Element.

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
I am also not sure if i should wait till the 04 model bikes come out but they probably dont come out till the end of the year.

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
Socket, do you know how much the bike is a a complete bike or do they only come as a frameset? And is the 5th element really $500 better than the fox shock, i have heard off a few ppl that they are shit and keep screwing up

S.

ex offender
I think a complete bike with Boxxers (Teams or WC's, not sure), XTR, MRP, 321s etc is ~$10k rrp.

I haven't had enough time on a 5th element to say if they're worth $500 more than a Fox, but at a guess I'd say yes: Foxes blow up at least as often as 5ths do, and the 5ths have noticeably better damping - you can crank up the compression without risking blowing the seals.

trobb

Likes Dirt
Hey scottie rad pic. is that you? anyway about your bike, how much are you willing to spend? if you had the money to buy a giant dh comp than if i were you i would go for the spealized big hit 04. That is a mad bike, i am even thinking of getting one and i am into dh just as much as you. i know some guys that ride them and they love them to but anyway, you decide.

big dan

Likes Dirt
just keep the giant and put a romic in the back and change the fork..or get an 03 giant. If you really want to spend get a turner....very nice

scottie2069

Likes Dirt
Im really keen on those new Gaint DH Teams with the dorados and stuff, i have seen a few at racing and they sound so smooth and quiet sounds and looks like a very good buy, very plush also and fast.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
trobb said:
if i were you i would go for the spealized big hit 04. That is a mad bike,..........i know some guys that ride them and they love them to but anyway, you decide.
Do you really think we're all that stupid ? You must have some pretty important friends at Specialized. :shock:

cough....full-o-shit......cough