What rear wheel?

Alad

Cannon Fodder
Hey all

Have just got into mountain biking and got my first bike (Built up from parts and put together by the tuck, Thanks Tuck)

It is an 08 Norco Sasquatch with 08 DJ3's(with a 20mm axle) and am running a Single Track laced to a Diamondback hub on the front.
I am running a DS2-XC rim laced to a Shimano XC hub, but I am wanting to get something more suited to what I am doing because the XC wheel was just a cheap way to get my bike up and running atleast.

I am starting into a little bit of downhill(just easy stuff for now) and will be doing DJ(which I will be building in my paddock:cool:) and it will be used to ride to TAFE.

So my question is, What sort of Rim, Hub and Tyre should I get?

Was going to put a Single Track on but I can't seem to find many as a whole wheel that are a reasonable price.

Can't really afford something too schmick, but I want something that is more suited to the riding I'm doing then the XC 26mm wide rim I have at the moment.

Thanks
Alad

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep your hub, just by a new rim and your LBS should be able to rebuild your wheel for $25-30

As for rims, I would be getting MTX33's which are still reasonably light but will hold up to DJ"ing/Light DH provided you run a 30+ psi.

Tyres maybe look at getting 2 tyres for the rear (or even 2 sets for that matter). Minion DHF/High roller for light DH and a set of decent DJ tyres for beating round on and commuting to tafe

Alad

Cannon Fodder
Keep my hub? I thought I should upgrade it to something a bit stronger?

I was looking at high rollers just today. I liked the look of the tread. But then they said they were $69.50 so I ran away(quite literally)

Which is better out of the Single Track or the MTX?

Eventually when I have a job and have saved some money I would really like to get a set of Deemax, but that will only be once I have enough money and also have the skill level that I could actually use them to their full potential.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep my hub? I thought I should upgrade it to something a bit stronger?

I was looking at high rollers just today. I liked the look of the tread. But then they said they were $69.50 so I ran away(quite literally)

Which is better out of the Single Track or the MTX?

Eventually when I have a job and have saved some money I would really like to get a set of Deemax, but that will only be once I have enough money and also have the skill level that I could actually use them to their full potential.
First of all, There is nothing particularly wrong with the hub, and although the performance of the hub isnt exactly that of a Hope Pro II it will definitely do....

Maxxis tyres generally have a street price of $45-$50, although RRP is $59. You may have been looking at a 3C or a UST Highroller which is more expensive.

Single track is more of an am/Light FR rim whereas the MTX is more of a DH racing rim.....Everyone has their own opinion about rims, most will say X rim will dent easily but realistically if you arent plowing down tracks whilst hucking of everything you can find they will last (provided you dont run low pressures).

Also I should point out Deemas'x arent that great, better off with 823's on Hope Pro II's ;) 823's are essentially the same rim but may be a tad out of your price range (at $200 rrp)

First of all, There is nothing particularly wrong with the hub, and although the performance of the hub isnt exactly that of a Hope Pro II it will definitely do....

Maxxis tyres generally have a street price of $45-$50, although RRP is $59. You may have been looking at a 3C or a UST Highroller which is more expensive.

Single track is more of an am/Light FR rim whereas the MTX is more of a DH racing rim.....Everyone has their own opinion about rims, most will say X rim will dent easily but realistically if you arent plowing down tracks whilst hucking of everything you can find they will last (provided you dont run low pressures).

Also I should point out Deemas'x arent that great, better off with 823's on Hope Pro II's ;) 823's are essentially the same rim but may be a tad out of your price range (at $200 rrp)
He wasn't looking at 3C's they have a rrp of $105

Alad

Cannon Fodder
DJ Tyres

Ok then.

So what is a good DJ tyre to look for then?
What sort of price range?
Long life or short life if I'm riding on the road to TAFE?

Also, I wanted to get one of those tyres that have the dimpley centre and still have the knobby outside for the front.
If you can understand what I mean.

Cheers guys

Shredden

Knows his goats
Like a hybird tire sorta thing?

Look at Maxxis worm drives. Dad was running them on his xc bike for a while, I think rrp is about $40?