What saddle do you swear by?

Warwick

Likes Dirt

I can't really be bothered trolling through 9 pages of peoples preferences, but I now ride Prologo Scratch on the road and MTB.

The brand is not well know in aussie but the shape is similar to Fizik's Aliante so suitable of people with wider sitbones. This is also the saddle alot of roadie pro's ride both with logo's and without.
I have one of these on EBay as we speak. A Scratch Pro TR. Great seat, but no good at all for little old me.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive said in a previous post in this thread that i loved the Specialized Phenom gel (as have others), well that was for last years model.

Tried the 2011 Phenom "gel" for few months now and i cant handle it anymore. I thought it would break in but its just stayed as hard as a rock. The shape is great, but its got little to no give in it. Definetely not comfortable for the long rides ive been doing, especially when you put against the 2010 model.

anyone else used one?
I use the 2011 Phenom Team - 143mm wide on both my MTBs. Completely satisfied with them.

I was having problems with saddles until I discovered the Specialized BG stuff.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
No more Fizik Gobi for me ...

*sigh* ... broke my Gobi again, split in half while descending Kowalski's Sideshow. I know I should have been out of the saddle at the time, but I was at the back end of a double at 2 am and I downed when I should have upped ...

Back to the trusty Rocket V for me.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I use the 2011 Phenom Team - 143mm wide on both my MTBs. Completely satisfied with them.

I was having problems with saddles until I discovered the Specialized BG stuff.
+1 on the Phenom for me as well.....I use a 143mm also. Prior to this I had a saddle that was 135mm (?) and after a few hours of riding my hips started to hurt. After getting a proper fit the hip pain disappearred. Amazing what a few mm each side can do.

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
I go for the Sell Max Flite Gel Flow. only 80g heavier then the SLR gel flow. Really comfy for long rides.

dkselw

Likes Bikes
I also have the 143mm Specialized Phenom, and have found it to be the most comfortable saddle I have ever used. I do however have a couple of issues with it.
The first one is that it does not have anything to stop the widest part of the saddle being damaged in a fall. The "Flush mounted scuff guards" do not extend to the widest part of the saddle.
The widest part of the saddle also comes to a slight point, and I have ended up with significant bruising on the inside of my legs from this when riding down rough trails out of the saddle.
I have also found the rear of the seat more likely to catch my knicks than some other saddles.
I need to get another saddle for another bike and I don't know what to get. At this stage I will probably stick with the Phenom, as it is very hard to tell if a saddle is going to be any good in the long term from a quick test ride.

dkselw

Likes Bikes
I have also found the rear of the seat more likely to catch my knicks than some other saddles.
This comment is probably not relevant to the current model Phenom without the forked saddle rear. Quoting from the specialized website "This featherweight competitive XC saddle, also ideal for road and 'cross, is tuned for stiffness and features a rounded tail that won't snag your baggies. "

loc81

Likes Dirt
Finally got measured up- had to drive 40 mins each way to find a specialized dealer mind you. But I got some great service and they have a shitload of test saddles.
They gave me a 143mm Phenom to have a crack at, and went for a 30km road cruise yesterday. Shape wise, it seems to be spot on (no rubbing) but Jesus Christ it was hard! After a few k's I could already notice my sit bones- like I was pivoting on them. Then all last night post ride my tail bone was bloody sore.
I feel like I'm going around in circles and with the dirt works looming, I can pretty much bank on a heap of walking.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have a Fizik plateau, a fizik gobi xm, a specialized phenom 130mand a stelle italia SLR gel flow xc.
I can ride with all of them but find the fiziks to be the best for long rides. The first couple of times I used the SLR were quite painful, but this seemed to improve. Have others found this with the slr? It seemed to bed in. It seems like the gel moulded to the shape of my ass after a few hours on it. Is this possible or is it more likely my ass got used to the shape?
And I too find the specialized very hard, but not uncomfortable.

Mammy

Likes Dirt
Specialized have it spot on for my arse: I have S-Works Romin and Toupe and they're by far the most cody saddles I've owned.
Surprising considering the Toupe is the lightest seat i've had as well, at 145gms.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Specialized have it spot on for my arse: I have S-Works Romin and Toupe and they're by far the most cody saddles I've owned.
Surprising considering the Toupe is the lightest seat i've had as well, at 145gms.
Wow, nice dredge!

Agree for the toupe, but it broke after a few months - phenom is more likely to survive the ups and downs of mtb'ing.

slyfox

Likes Bikes
For some reason, the grooved/channelled saddles kills my butt.. I'm now using Fizik Tundra 2 and Selle Italia SLR.. I find them firm but comfy.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I had the Selle Italia SL XC which gave me numb nuts which would ache for days after a ride.

Changed to specialized body geometry phenom and been great.

Everyone swears by the Selle Italia though.. anyone else get the nut problem with it?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
SDG Formula FX, came on my commencal and it's fantastic.
about to buy the FXR (rail version, FX is I-Beam) for my hardtail build.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I had the Selle Italia SL XC which gave me numb nuts which would ache for days after a ride.

Changed to specialized body geometry phenom and been great.

Everyone swears by the Selle Italia though.. anyone else get the nut problem with it?
Yeah I've got a couple of Selle Italias and have found in the last few months I've found my meat and 2 veg going completely numb on longer seated rides. I'm going to try a wider saddle to see if it helps.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
My Sella seems like there is no provision for the perineal area.. like the specialized has a cutout through the middle, but the sella almost is raised through the middle.. Not sure how that is meant to help blood get where it needs to.

ido09s

Likes Dirt
I havent bothered trying anything else but a Gobi as i have had no need to.

Its always been a comfortable seat for me