What shorts/knicks do you wear?

Petero

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

I currently only have a cheap generic pair of lycra shorts with a foam pad that is rather useless, so am looking to get a decent pair.

So, a quick question for you. What short/knicks do you use and how would you rate them??

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
i just wear trail shorts, having a foam pad between your legs just feels plain odd...like a nappy and ive never been keen on lycra

metrics

Likes Bikes
I've got a pair of NZO Dobies (an older design than the link above) and then a variety of knicks I wear underneath. The Dobies that I have don't really have much in the way of padding so I rely on the knicks to provide that.

jrh

Likes Bikes
just bought assos mille bib and brace. $$$$$$$$$ but man are they comfy. Wore them for jb 12 . Nothing will give complete protection for that long in the saddle but have suffered heaps for a lot less riding time using other brands. You need to use the assos chamois cream with them.

Have tried heaps of different brands over the years, but now stick with Uno 8 Panel pro nicks for both MTB and road. Best I can find for value and quality.

unitec

Likes Dirt
I haven't worn any for a while so I can't recommend brands but basically the more panels they have the more comfortable & longer lasting they will be.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I picked up a few pairs of the NZO MX shorts when they were going cheap on T7 about 12 months ago. I'm a fan, just baggy enough for comfort but well fitted so they don't hang up on anything. They have a nice built in liner but no padding. On longer rides I'll wear a padded undershort but for everything else they are fine just on their own. They have held up extremely well to everyday use, even coped pretty well when I was sent skittling down the road by an idiot driver (unfortunately landed on the lighter duty stretchy fabric which wore through, but everything else held up ok).

About the only criticism is the pocket is kind of an odd shape and the zipper hard to close when riding. The fabric is probably a bit heavy and not quite breathable enough if you are a heavy sweathing XC type of guy (which I am and it doesn't bother me at all but YMMV).

Just checked the NZO web site and I don't think they make these any more :(. Based on my experience though I wouldn't hesitate to try the Dobies.

Other shorts I've used are the Raceface 6x6(?) and really not a fan. Noisy, too baggy, really plasticy feeling.

For undershorts I tried the NZO Cruiseliners and didn't like them much. I think maybe the wrong size was part of the reason (I'm mid way between S and M so it's always a lucky dip), but they also didn't have anything to grip your leg so kept riding up. Lucky they were cheap. I think maybe these have since been redesigned so the new version might be better.

I've since gone to the Ground Effect Under Dogs which are great. More comfortable all round.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I wear them under a pair of baggy shorts because really, who wants to see my fat arse wrapped in Lycra.

Cheers
MH
I'll most likely be doing the same. trying to figure out if i should get a liner/baggy combo or undershorts... or just normal nicks and wear something over the top.
Just too many options!!!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
I'll most likely be doing the same. trying to figure out if i should get a liner/baggy combo or undershorts... or just normal nicks and wear something over the top.
Just too many options!!!
The link I posted is for short knicks that don`t have leg grippers (that just pluck the hair out of your legs). fit discretely under shorts no probs. The shorts I picked up are pretty good. They came with different knicks as a combo but they were really crap knicks and I piffed them straight away. I`d say make up your own kit, the cheap combo`s are usually compromised somewhere.
Cheers
MH

John U

MTB Precision
Started off wuth the cheap Netti jobs. They were OK but didn't really appear to last that long. This was 14 years ago though so a lot might have changed there.

Ponied up the extra fold for some Pearl Izumis, both bib and nicks. This was about 2005. Nicks are finished, lycra has lost its stretch. Bibs are still going but probably haven't had as much wear as the nicks yet. They wern't cheap but I was happy enough to go back for more of them a couple of years later and those are still going.

Got some Fox baggies. There not too bad but the chamois is fairly low quality and can feel like a surfboard between the legs when walking, but they're for riding so no real concern. What I do notice is the extra heat generated by the extra bulk when compared to lycra. The nicks run much cooler in summer.

Going to give the 2XU jobs a go next if I can find some cheap ones. Interested to see haw this compression bizzo might work for me.

Beauges

Likes Bikes
I"ve had a few different one's but the stand out is Ground Effect Juggernaughts.
I love them and will get them again.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I am just trailriding I wear Fox Base baggies from Anaconda. i got them on sale for about $60 and they have a liner and chamios. Very comfortable on and off the bike.

For longer rides or races I wear Giordana Silverline bib knicks. The bibs look a bit odd but are great at taking the strain off your waist. I have been through a few different types but these ones are awesome. You don't even know you are wearing them, which can be a little disconcerting from time to time. They have a very low front, which makes mid ride comfort stops a breeze, and a small pocket at the base of your back for gels or MP3.
I got them from CRC for about $60.

For long rides ALWAYS use chamois cream!!

Craftworks

Craftworks
Got to say my fox shorts with the removable liner are really comfy for long days in the saddle.. Just back from a 3 day MTB camp and found the fox most comfy out of all my shorts.. This probably comes down to the contored padding..

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Years ago I switched to bibs and have never looked back. I use Sugoi, which are pretty good value and fit my scrawny body perfectly.
For working with school groups or any situation where the riding to standing around ratio is low, I wear a pair of NZO trail shorts. Not so good on longer rides though. We derived a fair amount of entertainment from the complaints of one of our party when he wore a similar pair on a ride from Mt. Beauty over the Fainters to Falls Creek. Pick your gear for the distance you plan to ride.