What should I take to Whistler?

debt

Likes Dirt
hey all,
heading over to whistler for a year. Wondering if anyone had any tips on things i should take there?

nickhagee

Likes Dirt
tyres, brake pads, millions of tubes, grips, lots of money
an article in a recent amb that went for a while said that they got a part time job there too. they also said they broke pretty much everything including their frame and suspension!!!

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some sort of qualification, eg retail or something like that, try and not be doing some sort of labouring job.

Take as many spare parts as possible but dont confine your choice incase your tempted to upgrade (when you break something of course) and you end up with excessive spares that dont fit your bike.

Bomb446

Likes Dirt
^^ The bike goes over in one bit and comes back in peices.

Travel Insurance I think it is that covers you if you break an arm/leg?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
There is "instrument" insurance, for musical instruments - Surely there'd be someone willing to cover sporting equipment

BIG RUSTY

Likes Dirt
Money Save as much as you can before you go to Canada.The pay is crap over there especially in retail/hospitality jobs.*The more money you take the more time you can spend riding and other activities rather than working all the time.Anyway thats what I would do if I had my time again.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
A bike is FAR more breakable than an instrument, there might be though.

Also, debt, do you ski/snowboard?
Ah, beg to differ :p

Your saying that a mountain bike, which for all intents and purposes is designed to be ridden in harsh, offroad conditions, is less durable than an accoustic guitar? violin? Even instruments made out of metal I'd consider pretty touchy, it wouldn't take much to dent a trumpet or cornet.

Anyways, back on topic

sly_artichoke

Likes Dirt
Bring your raincoat. BC is WET!
As to spares, keep them to a minimum, as they DO have bike shops here (at least in Vancouver where I am), and the spares are generally cheaper, even with the CAD/AUD exchange rate. As to packing up your bike, remember that you can count it as one of your pieces of baggage, but it'll probably cost you extra (mine was $60) as it's considered oversize.
Bring your laughing gear, too, 'cause you'll be having some fun.
Cheers.

dave m

Likes Bikes
I have an excellent idea! Take ME!
Beat me to it.

Suncream, fruit, veges and chocolate.

EDIT: Know when to STOP riding for the day: take self control with you. At Whistler, more than anywhere else I've riden, it's too tempting to ride until you are shaking and crash.
I had some very hard stacks due to fatigue and not having the self control/awareness to call it quits for the day, but was very fortunate not to break or tear anything. Many others weren't so lucky. And you're out for a long time then.
It's just so tempting to keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep riding there. One More Run Syndrome is chronic. Oh, and pad up too, t-shirts are cool until you body slam from a high-side and break your collar bone.

I'm bloody envious. Lucky, lucky man.

Last edited:

Danr

Likes Bikes
As some people have mentioned, your bike :D, you might be able to smuggle it in peices in your normal luggage, just be weary about weight limits, I think its 23kg, they may charge a fee for anything over. also try not to take more stuff back than you took over, I was comming back from whistler (was there for the winter) and went via hawaii, anyways, nearly had to leave my guitar at the airport, I think they had different luggage restriction rules (might have been because it was a different plane, cant remember though :/) Also. buy your snow gear over there, and when you do, ask for last season gear, boards are usually no different through the years except for decals, and price, and if they have any availible ask for a second, or demo board, I managed to get a sweet demo board for a couple of hundred off the price and it was completely unused, it just says "demo" somewhere on it. and a freind of mine got a 'second' which is what they refer to when there are defects or blemishes, his just had a little error with the decals, and got it real cheap :D. But what I've also heard from a freind is that bike locks are pretty important, apparently your shit gets stolen off your bike if you leave it incorrectly secured, and that forks are a favourite target.

Have fun aswell, also are you going via swap visa or a normal work visa?

McPete

Likes Dirt
In terms of what sort of bike to take, what I've read suggests that taking anything smaller than a 6' All-Mountain rig isn't particularly brilliant. Apparently the locals use those for their XC rigs. If you're feeling brave, a DJer :p

Whistler being Whistler, you'll want to have a crack at everything you can get a wheel on.

If it were me, I'd either be going a full-tilt downhill rig or a big freeride machine.

If you haven't got body armor, get some. Goggles with tear-offs might be an idea too.

I think most other things have been covered.