What sort of cranks to buy under $300 DH use

MTB_SYCO

Likes Dirt
im just wondering what sort of cranks i should by for dh, atm i have hussefelt cranks and then keep braking, so i would like your opions on any cranks under $300 for downhill

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
if you can twist the arm of your lbs owner, get some truvative holzfeller dh cranks - they retail for $399 - see how you go...

If not, the hussefelt dh cranks for $299 arent bad, i've run a pair of those for a couple of year with know complaints... I run holzfeller on my dh bike though, and they are unreal - they dont shread your ankles like raceface diabolous!

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
for that much id say your best bet would be a cromoly 3pc bmx style crank.

hussefelts cost $299 for the dh version which is the cheapest.

with up to 300 buckaroos you shoudl be able to get some pretty good cranks though.

Ryan

Radministrator
FSA V-drive Xtreme's are better than hassle-faults and you could easily be on a set with a pimped-out bottom bracket for under $300.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
http://www.fortheriders.com/

Go there and check out the stealth chromos in Drivetrain>Cranks.

I've had them on my Chase for 3 months. But I've spent the majority of that broken. They feel fine to me.

Edit: $200, nice price too!

No_dice

Likes Dirt
i was going to suggest topredo7 coz they have dirt cheap stuff on there but the site seems to be down at the moment.
www.torpedo7.com is yar interested.
cheers

[edit]* not server down looks like it exists no longer*

Acidman

Likes Dirt
cranks

I saw some second hand mrp bones cranks in the parts and stuff for like $200. they go alright. its on the second page i think

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Sure cromo style cranks are strong. but the bb options suck. check out the hone review on the front page and the choice will be clear.

(BTW; I sold the chainrings that come with the hone cranks for $60 on ebay... that makes them a $240 crankset ;) )

callyjack

Likes Bikes
I have Tuf-Neck bmx cranks with a euro BB and they are great and only cost $270, they are the same as primo powerbite cranks (if you know much about bmx stuff) except better becuuse they have a replaceable/lockable stainless steel pedal insert.

They are better than chromoly bmx cranks because they fit in the shuttle trailers at races.

bmx bottom brackets are better than just about about all mtb bottom brackets. Floating spindle means you can get a perfect chainline. Bearings are easily replaceable (just slide them out of the cups and replace with bearings from your local bearing shop for about $18, which is much cheaper than a new mtb bottom bracket). You can get new spindles cheaper than most mtb bottom brackets (about $80) or you can get titanium spindles for a little extra cash. You don't need a crank extractor for the Tuf-Necks either. Because you have to use spider with bmx cranks if you do happen to bash something hard enough with your chainring it is only going to bend the spider which is a lot cheaper to replace than a new mtb crank arm.

Whatever you do DON'T get those MRP bones cranks they are the worst things in the world, they are weak as piss and like I said before they don't fit in most shuttle trailers at races.

Oh, and by the way everything I have said is from my own experience!

Last edited:

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
callyjack's got some good points there... it's got me thinking about powerbites as dh cranks...

MTB_SYCO

Likes Dirt
thanks for the reply's, ive already got a new bb as the bearing came loose on my old 1 and we couldnt tighten it, so i just need cranks no rings or anything, how much do diablo's sell for?

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
MTB_SYCO said:
thanks for the reply's, ive already got a new bb as the bearing came loose on my old 1 and we couldnt tighten it, so i just need cranks no rings or anything, how much do diablo's sell for?
A bit out of your price range, but you could order online and save a few pennies. Check out the usual culprits if you want to go that way. www.jensonusa.com, www.speedgoat.com, www.beyondbikes.com, www.torpedo7.com, www.fortheriders.com etc etc.

PS: speedgoat and beyond do USPS, so can get stuff in under $1000 and won't get slugged.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lots, but they wouldnt fit on your new BB. diabolous work of an external bearing cup system, which means that the Spindle is integrated into the left side crankarm, and requires the BB provided.

For cheap, tough isis drive arms, I reccomend FSA v-drive X-tremes. not to heavy, not too light, fit into shuttle trailers fine, and will leave a fair bit of cash in your pocket.

j5ive

callyjack said:
I have Tuf-Neck bmx cranks with a euro BB and they are great and only cost $270, they are the same as primo powerbite cranks (if you know much about bmx stuff) except better becuuse they have a replaceable/lockable stainless steel pedal insert.

bmx bottom brackets are better than just about about all mtb bottom brackets. Floating spindle means you can get a perfect chainline. Bearings are easily replaceable (just slide them out of the cups and replace with bearings from your local bearing shop for about $18, which is much cheaper than a new mtb bottom bracket).
While I'll agree that the tufneck cranks are good value, I'll disagree about the bottom brackets. The bmx style bbs go through bearings very quickly at at $18 each, if you kill all 4 thats $80. Shimano LX/hone BBs are around $59. If you were to see the two bearings side by side, you'd know why they die quickly.

With the external type bbs you can also get a perfect chainline. Allot easier too, the spacers just sit under the bb cups. Further more the shimanos are fool proof to install. From my experience theres usually a bit of hit and miss with bmx style cranks to get things right.

The other problem I found with bmx like cranks is the spider setup. Because it bolts on, it can be near impossible to get to run round. I also found they can bend easier when whacked as they arn't as well supported by the crank arm. And don't forget to factor the price of a decent spider ($50+) into your $270 price tag.

As for the V-drives, I used to also recommend them Roasted, but I've changed my tune recently. Seen three pairs fail in the last few months. Two pedal threads pulled and one snapped a chainring lug off. If you want a cheap ISIS crank I'd go the Dabomb syle cromo isis cranks from for the riders. But your local bike shop should be able to get them also, They are distributed by KWT and Pryamid imports if your shop needs to know. The cranks are identical to the dabombs in every way and being 4130 should be pretty bomb proof, the spider is also replacable and quite thick too.

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
MTB_SYCO said:
im just wondering what sort of cranks i should by for dh, atm i have hussefelt cranks and then keep braking, so i would like your opions on any cranks under $300 for downhill
Check with your dealer. We've just done a special on the Holzfeller URBAN. That will suit your price perfectly.

Get them to call us for the special pricing.

Elvis.

j5ive

While we're here, whats with truvativs 06 cranks? The bb looks like a good idea, but to create a new ISIS standard is pretty whack. http://www.nsmb.com/gear/sram_camp_truvativ_04_05.php
Looks like the gloves are off. Why didn't they develop the 2 piece design into these cranksets*?

That holzfella stem is sex though.

*oh, they like selling bbs ;)

DW-1

Dirt Works
j5ive said:
While we're here, whats with truvativs 06 cranks? The bb looks like a good idea, but to create a new ISIS standard is pretty whack. http://www.nsmb.com/gear/sram_camp_truvativ_04_05.php
Looks like the gloves are off. Why didn't they develop the 2 piece design into these cranksets*?

*oh, they like selling bbs ;)
Perhaps they want these bearings to last....

Some very odd things have been happening at Truvativ since the SRAM purchase.

Email warranty approval that used to take less than 24 hours now takes a week. Minimum. Just to get a reply. In the "old days" it was a matter of us quoting the bike and crank serial number via email, and a few hours later, we'd get a reply from Truvativ saying approved. Now, it takes 2 or 3 followup emails from us to even get a reply... (and then, it often asks for more info)

It's a real shame as the brand will now grow huge and be part of the SRAM corperate OEM empire.

Ah well, not my concern after July 1st.

Elvis.

Last edited: