What T.V Series to watch whilst waiting for Walking Dead to resume?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Whilst waiting for the new Walking Dead series I've watched Fargo which was awesome. Started on Dusk till Dawn but not impressed so far.

I need something new to watch whilst on the trainer, recommendations? Prefer something action, sci fi as opposed to straight drama's.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hannibal.
Arrow.
Vikings.
Falling Skies is sci fi-ey.
Not Game of Thrones. Aside from the tits, it's garbage, well marketed garbage.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
  • Wil Wheaton Project
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Silicon Valley
  • Continuum
  • Orange is the new black
  • True Detective
  • Hollywood Babble-On (Podcast not TV)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hannibal.
Arrow.
Vikings.
Watched a couple of Arrow, god awful heat n repeat American Garbage. Watching 2 series of falling skies but very wooden acting and by the numbers script.

I don't watch a lot of TV so when I do I want something unique and thoughtful, except if it's got zombies then I don't care it's gunna be awesome.

haulawayjoe

Likes Bikes
Hannibal.
Arrow.
Vikings.
Vikings for sure and I agree with you about Game of Thrones. I succumbed and just started to watch the first series and it is a bit like Bold and the Beautiful set in medieval times, I am not much of a fan.

The French show The Returned, there has only been one season but it was really well made.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's fricking dark days at the moment. The only heavyweight show seems to be 'The Leftovers' which is pish and has way too little titty for HBO.

The Last Ship is worth watching for the first 1-2 episodes, if only to see some of the worst TV ever to be produced from such a massive budget.

Best start hitting up the archives!

Orphan Black (as mentioned) is actually really good and Tatiana Maslany kicks arse.

There are at least 5 good seasons of Reno 911 available for download. It's comedy gold and also good for spotting all today's comedy heavyweights before they were famous.

Same goes for Trailer Park Boys although no one famous came through their ranks apart from Ellen Page.

Yeah. She'd get it!

You've been on here a while so there's no need to mention The Wire.

Fuck it. Yes there is. Watch it again!

Also grab The Shield. Don't try compare it to the Wire, it's a losing battle but it was still ace and you've got 5 seasons worth

Justified. It's up to season 5 and it's fucking awesome. Best tv show ever to have Timothy Olyphant in a Cowboy hat. ( apart from Deadwood. But he's a bit of a dick in that)

If you're short on time, Community and Parks and Rec are both ace, hilarious and weirdly deep. Fuck S1 of Parks and Rec off though. It was shite. Everything after that though. Gold!
Also watch Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon but it's made by Community's Dan Harmon.
Whilst you're at it, Archer. Bobs Burgers.

If you're after some heavy handed Shakespeare, ludicrous violence and some hilarious dick jokes, there are about 5-6 seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

Homeland's also away to start back up and it looks like it's finally going to be an interesting and slightly realistic show.

I give it 4 months before it's cancelled.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Watched a couple of Arrow, god awful heat n repeat American Garbage.
I have to admit, I'm very biased when it comes to DC comic related shows / movies. I'm the biggest critic of them but Arrow passes in flying colours, I love it.

.........Game of Thrones. I succumbed and just started to watch the first series and it is a bit like Bold and the Beautiful set in medieval times, I am not much of a fan.
Hahahahha, thats the best description of the show I've heard. I'm using that. ;)

Try Hannibal out nathanm, it's gruesome yet smart and makes you think a little. Don't assume everything on the plate is human flesh either. ;) Do a genuis search on Itunes and see what comes up that may match your liking.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
POSM has pretty good TV tastes.

The Wire. Again if necessary.
Archer makes me smile at random times of my life. Brilliant.
Luther (all seasons) worth checking out.
Jack Irish for a hit of awesome Aussiness. It is very good.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Rake is ace. Richard Roxburgh is a legend. Deffo watch the first two series.

Season 3 kinda lost me I'll admit.

Oh.

Spaced! 'Best TV programme ever not to be called The Wire'

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
The Americans.

Unfortunately S2 is currently showing on pay TV (SoHo I believe) and the last I read it is uncertain if it will be broadcast later on FTA (Ten). I am very hopeful of the latter as I don't have pay TV. The series was killer, can't wait for more.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
The Wire. Again if necessary.
Hasn't been said enough!

Aaaaaaaaand also Friday Night Lights. Just ignore the stupid manslaughter plot in S2. It's pure gold.

The new (ish) Battlestar Galactica turned out to be damn good.

Not sure about Luther. Idris Elba is a great actor but the plot seems to have been written by the work experience kid.

If it's gritty UK police drama you're after, Sherlock is probably not your bag. It is entertaining however.

Best UK cop show though is Charlie Brooker's 'a touch of cloth'

It's pretty much an homage to Police Squad and The Naked Gun that's written by somebody who knows what the fuck they are doing.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I miss Archer :sad: Quite possibly the best animated series ever.

Watched almost a full series of Friday Night Lights before I discovered it was like season 4. No wonder I had no idea what was going on.

Thanks guys, I'm gunna go with Justified first and work my way from there.

Beej1

Curently airing in US:
Longmire - (aussie) Robert Taylor stars as the gruff sheriff-of-few-words in a fictional Wyoming county. Simple. But enjoyable. Plus it's got Starbuck in it (the female one). And Lou Diamond Phillips from Young Guns and other movies not Young Guns.
Suits- Light, maybe slightly trashy, but really easy to watch (perhaps thanks to Megan Markle and Sarah Rafferty). Great characters, esp. the morally ambiguous Harvey Spector. Oh and it's got Zoe from Firefly. Ahhh ... Firefly.

Currently airing here:
For the love of cars - A doco-style show currently airing on one of the SBSs or ABCs (dunno since I downloaded it). I love cars, and the restorations these poms do is pretty special.
Grand Designs - Just like "The Block", only not fucking awful, and with Kevin McCloud.

Not curently airing and not Walking Dead or GOT:
House of Cards - Kevin Spacey + David Fincher. Enough said.
Veep - Hilarous. Worth watching just for character Ben Cafferty's insults.
Person of Interest - nothing hugely special, but enjoyable. Love the Shaw character ... she badass.
Motive - worth noting for being the only cop drama that isn't stupidly predictable and where you're not yelling at the screen "It's that guy who dunnit ya dumbarse!" .... primarily since the show opens by revealing the victim and murderer 'Columbo' style, and the show is about the cops figuring out who and the viewer figuring out why. Plus it's shot in Vancouver area, so I'm frequently seeing the North Shore (and sometimes Squamish) and remembering how awesome it is.
Archer - agree with above: best animated TV show ever
Castle - because Nathan Fillion (Captain Mal .... Firefly. Ahhh Firefly). But annoyingly predictable (see previous comment).
Newsroom - I loved "The West Wing" and its long, dialog heavy tracking shots. Newsroom is a newer version of this. Set in a newsroom.
Continuum - The time travel stuff appeals to me, as does the Vancouver setting. But the lead chick is so wooden I only watch it these days to see if she actually gets better.

No longer airing, but worth re-watching:
Firefly
The Wire
The West Wing

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'm enjoying The 100 at the moment, it's slightly Sci-Fi and it's a different story to anything that's been done before to my knowledge.

Reckless was a good 1st episode.
Crisis was good for the first episode, haven't had time to watch the rest.

And for those DC Comic fans that hate Arrow, you're really gunna hate The Flash. Watched the pilot and I'd put it on par with Arrow, in fact, it crosses over somewhat.

If you like cars and Hot Rods, check out Fast N Loud!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I miss Archer :sad: Quite possibly the best animated series ever.

Watched almost a full series of Friday Night Lights before I discovered it was like season 4. No wonder I had no idea what was going on.

Thanks guys, I'm gunna go with Justified first and work my way from there.
No way dude. Season 4 is when it all went East Dillon. Admittedly it was a good path to take the story down but fuck that. Panthers rule!