What the heck is Sugru? Cool stuff for fussy Mtb mongrels

Checkpoint22

Likes Dirt
(just realised the pics are a bit big - sorry). Found some cool stuff that is great for making custom Mtb brackets and other stuff. Sugru is a formable rubber - feels like Play-doh, but overnight hardens into rubber very much like a cold squash ball. Google it to check it out.
I was wanting to mount my Garman edge 705 in the middle of my handlebars, but I am running a very short stem, so there was nowhere to zip tie the normal mount. Yes, I can hear some folks saying "just mount it a bit to the left on the handlebar itself" – but those of us who are fussy mongrels will realise this is completely unacceptable. Below are some pics of making the bracket:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420021993.320372.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022009.943407.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022025.187553.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022035.457473.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022047.592380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022066.485640.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022077.247867.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022087.779359.jpg

Also used it to cover the empty direct mount on the seat tube:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420022152.625764.jpg

Hope others find this useful. Think it cost about $15 bucks for eight sachets of the stuff, and once you open the sachet the curing process starts, so you can't save unused bits. I used 2 sachets to make the Garmin mount, so the bracket cost approx $2.

Oh, also - I up am in no way affiliated with the company that makes this product, and have no financial interest in it. Just stumbled across it on the inter webs, and thought other mtbers might want to know...

Last edited:

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Wow thats awesome! Good job. Thanks for posting this up for us. Where can you get the stuff from?

EDIT: What are you screwing the bolt into for the mount?

Checkpoint22

Likes Dirt
Wow thats awesome! Good job. Thanks for posting this up for us. Where can you get the stuff from?

EDIT: What are you screwing the bolt into for the mount?
The Straightline Stem has a threaded hole in between the two clamping bolts - you take out a clamping bolt, and screw it into that hole to remove the wedge that clamps the steerer tube.

I just googled it, and bought some from their web page - http://sugru.com/

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Another product worth looking into especially if you want more rigid fixtures is Plastimake . http://www.plastimake.com/
Super easy to use, cheap, reusable and if you need it to stick to stuff it has great adhesive properties. I've used it to make a couple of brackets and reattach the door handle to my microwave.