What to buy

Gerra456gt

Likes Dirt
hi guys i am new to the forum,i am looking to buy a second hand freeride/downhill bike but i have no idea on what to get and was thinking of getting some good advice from you experts. i have been thing of a Giant Regin, or some sort of a kona but i dont know which to get, and which bike would be better. much help would be appreciated
cheers
AJ

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
I recently purchased a HARO X7 Frame only (a complete bike should be pretty easy to find if your patient) second hand from this very Forum
I originally I found this frame because it fitted the forks 1.5 and wheels 150mm rear hub I had and because its a simple single pivot so less to go wrong which is good when buying s/hand
I love this thing it really peddles well handles pretty much anything except heavy rock gardens but that is more the fork I have fitted, the rear end is super plush, I have never had a high pivot position bike before so you get some peddle feedback but it is super plush and jumps well you can't go wrong with one of these if your just starting out.
I have five bikes from carbon xc to full dh rig but this is my hack bike and I ride it everywhere The HARO is truly underrated and affordable

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Mate, welcome to farkin. Hope you enjoy the place. But please have a look around and you'll see that there's a different forum for just about every topic to do with cycling. Please try and post in the correct one. I've moved this to Parts & Stuff for you now.

Cheers

Gerra456gt

Likes Dirt
yeah thanks for that. i really need help on the Giant Reign or the Kona. i know the stinky will be too heavy for free ride so what else would come next in line for the kona range. i have also heard great things about the reign, please. i want a freeride/downhill bike cheers

shredder dj

Likes Dirt
Hey,

The stinky (Kona) is a freeride orientated bike, so I wouldn't think that it would be too heavy?

Also I always thought that the Reign was more a cross country bike? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Well, thats my 2 cents worth... :)

Gerra456gt

Likes Dirt
Hey,

The stinky (Kona) is a freeride orientated bike, so I wouldn't think that it would be too heavy?

Also I always thought that the Reign was more a cross country bike? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Well, thats my 2 cents worth... :)
yes but it also has 6 inch of travel

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are plenty of bikes floating around the for sale section. You wont be dissapointed with a stinky...Reign is an xc/trail machine. The stinky is a FR/Dh rig....make your mind up

takai

Eats Squid
The distinction needs to be made here between the Reign which is the XC orientated 5" travel bike, and the Reign X which is the FR/lightDH orientated 6.7" travel bike.

No further comments though, havnt ridden either.

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
norco atomiks are very good an 08 is worth 3000 new but u could pick up a second hand 07 or 06 for way under ur limit:D

peace

Viv92

Eats Squid
Wow, not a single person has been right about the reign so far... :rolleyes:

It's 6" travel and handles most DH courses you'll find in Australia (though it's of course not ideal), but still goes up OK. If you are mainly going to be doing Downhill riding then a get something else though. Reign X, glory, whatever.

Gerra456gt

Likes Dirt
Guys thank you for all the posts.
it will look like i will have to decide between the Stinky or thr Reign X.
Which would have better parts.
i have heard the Giant make a better Bike than the Kona, but have always been a fan of the Stinkys. i will just have to test ride one