what to do with this hilux

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
i am wanting to make the car better looking without spending to much on it. i was thinking of getting rid of those pin stripe deacls, and putting some sunraysias on (black or white). but then i was think should i just paint the rims black or white. i am not really going 4by on it, just the odd camping trip here and there. so my thought was getting some chrome rims put on? whats peoples opinions on that. how can i make the interior better (like putting different colour bulbs in the dash, to give a different colour speedo) and anything else to make it better looking.

can i take the dints out myself with a dent puller from supercheap?

Attachments

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i am wanting to make the car better looking without spending to much on it. i was thinking of getting rid of those pin stripe deacls, and putting some sunraysias on (black or white). but then i was think should i just paint the rims black or white. i am not really going 4by on it, just the odd camping trip here and there. so my thought was getting some chrome rims put on? whats peoples opinions on that. how can i make the interior better (like putting different colour bulbs in the dash, to give a different colour speedo) and anything else to make it better looking.

can i take the dints out myself with a dent puller from supercheap?
I'm sorry but LOL, you have no idea...

Chuck some sunraysias on it and leave it at that?

lucky13

Likes Dirt
forget the dent remover mate... just get yourself a new front guard and you'll find heaps of second-hand tubs for sale.

but if it was mine i'd just leave it alone.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What does it matter that it looks good? Save your money IMO

EDIT: I wish I had a dual cabbie ute.......I like practicality :) Be glad your not like me, stuck with a 2dr civic and bikes as a hobby........

moodybluebob

Likes Dirt
just small things.

interior: seat covers, gear nob. tidy everything up as much as you can. funky little carpet things.

exterior: get those dints fixed man!! remove el crapo decals.

just a general tidy up should make it looks heaps better.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
hmmm +1 for not worrying about the dints: if you are taking it out bush camping anyways things happen at times, its a 4wd hilux. Worrying about dints just doesn't seem right...

Agreed if you are worried bout looks to ditch the strips and get some comfy seats, makes a world of difference. edit: yours arent so bad.

Get a bullbar and sidebars/steps. Something i regret not doing early on.

2 small front speakers and 2 6 x 9s in the back do fine sound wise, a cover on the dash is handy.

and get some 31's for when you go camping..

Last edited:

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
about removing the decals: i hear that you just use a hair dryer like on a bike? can someone tell me how to remove the car ones. well i am not really going out camping, like once a year? maybe twice, so mud tyres aren't really a go. would 31" tyres fit without having a lift?

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
does anyone live in townsville? becuase i am going there this weekend (easter) to pick up this car. and i want to get the rims there if i can. i hear you can get sunraysias for basically free or dirt cheap. so does anyone know anyone with a set they don't need.

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
I removed some of the decals that came stock with my navara on friday, all i did was lift the edge of the sticker up with a razer blade then slowing peeled it off, then sprayed some wd-40 over where the stickers where to remove the sticky stuff left behind. I herd you can heat it up with a hair dryer but if you get it to hot you will make it harder. Just watch and make sure you arnt pulling any paint off.

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
I removed some of the decals that came stock with my navara on friday, all i did was lift the edge of the sticker up with a razer blade then slowing peeled it off, then sprayed some wd-40 over where the stickers where to remove the sticky stuff left behind. I herd you can heat it up with a hair dryer but if you get it to hot you will make it harder. Just watch and make sure you arnt pulling any paint off.
well the thing is, this is a 1996 so the decals might be hard and crusty?

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
ok fellas heres the details on the lux
240,000km's
4x4. dual cab
the guy i am buying it off just took it for a service (got a few things replaced) and it is rwc and has rego.

i paid $3500 including rwc, rego. he did the service, rwc at his cost

smeck

Likes Dirt
Not a bad deal, there's better out there but provided the driveline is good it will serve you well.

The 31/10.5 tyres will fit no worries, power steering is nice but it should have it already. Personally I wouldn't go that wide, they start getting fickle with tyre pressure's and loading/unloading all time either wears you tyres or annoys you with pressure adjustments. 235/85 are a good compromise, and get something with plenty of sidewall for you camping trips. There's nothing worse than slicing the sidewall open on a new tyre of a plain, well maintained dirt road, fuck I'm still annoyed 5 years later. 6 ply sidewall Goodyear Wrangler A/Ts with 150km and rooted, after doing god know how many trouble free km's on the 10 ply Maxxis tyre they replaced. Spilt rims are handy in the bush, you might want to consider just sandblasting and powder coating those rims.

Personally, I'd start with white rims, tinted windows, and some smoked weather shields. Then move onto seat covers and the like, but avoid changing your gauge lighting, it will just distract and annoy you. The dents require a level of proficiency that neither of us have, so either ignore them or marry a panel beaters daughter. If you remove the decals, be prepared to notice the paint will be whiter than the rest of the car. You will need to cut and polish the whole vehicle to fix it, but I'd leave them there for now.

Last edited:

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
i heard when you put like 31,32,33 or any big bulk muddies you lose power?, worsen you fuel economy as well. yea but since its a white car, it wont look as bad? i will polish the car up

aceblueheeler1992

Likes Dirt
i think i will just put h/t tyres on..i don't use muddies enough to get them. plus there terrible on bitumen? noisy, wear out on bitumen faster. so i will just stick to general tyres.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i heard when you put like 31,32,33 or any big bulk muddies you lose power?, worsen you fuel economy as well. yea but since its a white car, it wont look as bad? i will polish the car up
yes, you wont loose power just you wont go as fast... i think i have seen your username on 4wdaction.com.au... post up what you want to do there... thats what im doinf with my hilux... there are some pretty helpfull people on there