What to do with used drive train parts...

skipper_nz

Likes Dirt
I am at a loss as what to do with my old/used drive train parts. Seems a great waste just to throw it (chains/cassettes/chain rings etc...) all in the bin.

So what do you do with your old parts? Does anyone recycle them? What have you made with them?

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
Chains can make cool keyrings:

keyring.JPG

This one was made with leftover links from a brand new chain but there's no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with an old one

ChopSticks

Banned
seen chains made into bracelets/necklaces
also seen a chain shaped into a star and used as a christmas tree decoration.
You could make a clock out of old rotors/cassettes/rings

If youre into self defence... you can always sharpen rings/ cassettes into shurikens

Hit Dozer up... i believer he uses old bits to make trophies for his local races etc

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Recycle bin.
New chain left over key rings are good idea incase you ever need it on the trail.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Donate to those bike recycle places. For me that's Ceres http://www.thebikeshed.org.au/.

Most of us here have high expectations on performance and so probably replace before it is totally unusable - for most others on a tight budget its still good to use for a while.

Otherwise as others have mentioned - ninjas have a shuriken supply issue at the moment.

akashra

Eats Squid
We make trophies out of them for events. Deore cassettes in particular we have great demand for (not LX or XT - Deore don't have a spider, all cogs go all the way to the spindle); for this year I need a few old chains which we'll gold and silver anodize.

John U

MTB Precision
I've got a bucket of them that i've been thinking about making into art. Problem is I am in no way artistic so it's probably something I'll never do. I collect used cables, bearsing and all sorts of other shit as well.

I thought of making a wind chime. The other problem is my wife would theaten to move out if I hung it anywhere other than above my workbench.

ChopSticks

Banned

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm a huge fan of chain ring ninja stars. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a 32tooth ring! They also make a good flail.

Done the trophy vying as well. Give then a clean and spray paint them gold. Kids love it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
dammit.... missus is allergic to latex FML

not exactly a drivetrain part... but old broken spokes are great for making hooks out of!
great to hang chains to dry/clean

also great if you dont have a type2/shadow+ mech... bend both ends of a spoke into a hook, and you can hold the chain under tension while connecting you pin/power link with 2 free hands
Hahah, good thing tubes are Butyl and not latex! :p
And Shadow Plus doesn't have that nice cage lock that Type 2 has. But I just remove the chain from the chainring and do it. But every hook in a bike shop is a spoke. Or a spoke-poke.