What to get for 1150!

Hey guys I'm looking for a AM bike I only have 1150 at the max.
Any suggestions on what to get would be very helpful.

Cheers

Henry

onwheels

Likes Bikes
With that sort of money you will be looking at a few years old 2nd hand dual suspension or a hardtail. No problem with that, but depends what you want. What sort of riding do you mostly do? Will this be your only bike? Have you got any parts you can use to build up a frame? Any parts from current bike you could swap over to save some cash?

Have a look in the For Sale section on here. LOTS of bargains.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Yeah for that money i would be looking through the for sale section on here and maybe on fleabay.

I got a S-Works enduro for $1200 and it has been fantastic, just make sure you go and have a look in person and test ride before buying anything second hand.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I bought a 2008 Giant Reign X1 frame off here that needed forks, bars, stem, rotors and tyres. Then bought some Marz 66 RC3's off another bloke on here and the rest off Chain Reaction and Superstar components. Built it up for my son and all up it owes me just over $900. It's a sweet ride set up on the gravity side of things but gets back up the hill OK too.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you can stretch your budget to the $1500 mark it will go a long way. You may be able to get a basically new Giant Reign for that.

The cheaper you go with 2nd hand dual suspension bikes the more work and money spent on them they usually require. Yes you can find the odd bargain but as a whole and to be more safe than sorry, id allow for a touch more in your budget.

Jacob.R

Likes Bikes
It Depends

With that amount of money you don't have a huge range, it depends, if you buy a fairly new bike you wouldn't be able to get a very high spec bike, but if you buy an older bike you probably would be able to get one at a higher spec.

Likes Bikes
I agree with the $1500 budget if buying a complete 2nd bike. I usually find when buying bikes that its better to aim for a good condition bike with parts that have been well maintained or upgraded. For example the drivetrain should be replaced every couple of years and suspension/brakes should be serviced at about same period if riding regularly

John U

MTB Precision
Look for a 2nd hand 26" bike. A lot of people off loading them because 27.5" is the current must have. There is nothing wrong with a 26" bike which is in your favour right now.

Agree with the others saying pay as much as you can now. It will save you money in the future.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
A Giant Reign is probably the cheapest AM bike you will find. For the money you've got you should be able to get one that's only a couple of years old with reasonably good spec. I sold a 2010 Reign with several upgrades for about that price last year. Good bikes, only cheap because Giant is the Toyota of bikes.