What trails in Vic aren't too wet?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Candlebark Park single track network is now all-weather natural terrain challenging MTB trail. Stay on trail and have a ball.

Plenty of wildlife and sensational fun at night as well. The park is named after the magnificent Candlebark trees (eucalyptus rubida).

From Singletracks.com:
The trail , once you get to the trailhead from the fire trail link from the carpark , can be ridden as a big loop , with many intersecting trails crossing the main loop , so there are many options . First timers take a map as its easy to get lost . This park is right next to the flowing Yarra River so the surrounding forests are very lush . Its called Candlebark Park Park for a reason , some of the singletracks wind through forests of Eucalypt trees that look like thin candles , their bark dripping off their trunks . The main loop is around 8 miles , its best to ride the loop & trails anti clockwise as this requires less climbing & is more conducive to flowing sections of fast narrow singletrack Some sections of singletrack its a very tight squeeze through the forests of trees , there are numerous switchbacks & sections where the trails beautifully snake through the forests of trees . There are burms & some jumps where you can really launch it if you choose the A line , or for the less adventurous there are the B lines . There are challenging rock gardens in sections opening up onto open expanse & back into flowing singletrack trails . There are mostly only ever a few walkers along the trails though the park is mostly for mountain bike use . The park is open 24/7 & is popular for night rides as well as holding Enduro events . If you ride all the network of trails it would clock up 20 or so miles of predominantly singletrack . The main loop is about 8 miles with numerous trails intersecting the main loop , where interesting options branch off everywhere & all lead back onto the main loop . Take water , a map , a compass as the trails are not marked . If you get lost you can usually ask a passing mountain biker the way back to the car park . As a flowing network of singletrack close to the city I would rate Candlebark Park 5 out of 5 for fun , challenge , very narrow trails through the forest , the trails become a real technical challenge if you smash it . A few kilometers is the town of Eltham right on the Diamond creek Trail , as well as Eltham train station if you need to get there by public transport . Candlepark Park is adjacent Westerfolds Park where the Main Yarra Trails link all the way into the city via bike paths & singletracks .
We manage this trail network (www.yarratracks.com.au) so you'll see little information placards every now and then if anyone would like to have greater involvement.

http://www.yarratrails.com.au/candlebark/sections/candlebark-trails.html for trail sections.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I was going to say that Coomealla Mountainless Mountain Bike Park is going great guns and is lovely despite recent moisture...but then I realised that it's just over the border into NSW. Nothing to see here...;)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Red Hill, You Yangs and Lysterfield have all taken to facebook to ask riders give the trails a miss.
Forrest also had a post saying that while only Follow The Dog is officially closed, it would be appreciated to stay off Red Carpet, especially the bottom bit.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
everywhere in VIC is waterlogged except 1.4 kms of Hans Loop

regards

Knee Jerk Punter

Last edited:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser

regards

Knee Jerk Punter
OMG, at some point we're going to have to stop giving oxygen to this..... I had to see for myself what the fuss is about. For the sake of fairness to all, a Parks friend and I rode every inch of Candlebark trails yesterday afternoon and it was the best fun trail ride we'd had for a long time. A couple of wet spots over a hard base and all of the quagmire of years gone by has been eliminated by the hard work of the volunteer group who care for this trail.

JD I'm sorry mate but you're way off the mark with that post.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
OMG, at some point we're going to have to stop giving oxygen to this..... I had to see for myself what the fuss is about. For the sake of fairness to all, a Parks friend and I rode every inch of Candlebark trails yesterday afternoon and it was the best fun trail ride we'd had for a long time. A couple of wet spots over a hard base and all of the quagmire of years gone by has been eliminated by the hard work of the volunteer group who care for this trail.

JD I'm sorry mate but you're way off the mark with that post.
Sorry if I was off the mark. Well there you go folks- we can ride Candlebark Park, it's all good. Thanks for clearing that up George. As long as Parks are cool with the area. Unfortunately the trails to and from there are rather stuffed which makes it a bike path spin.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid

regards

Knee Jerk Punter
24 hrs and things change.

Youies apparently good enough to race on tomorrow.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?275829-The-You-Yangs-Thread&p=3071620#post3071620

Sorry if I was off the mark. Well there you go folks- we can ride Candlebark Park, it's all good. Thanks for clearing that up George. As long as Parks are cool with the area. Unfortunately the trails to and from there are rather stuffed which makes it a bike path spin.
Walked Candlebark and immediate environs this afternoon.

Candlebark should be good enough to ride, surrounding area (other YT in area), as JD points out munched.

If you go to Candlebark please put up with Yarra Main trail access and egress.

Last edited: