what xc bike to buy?

TheDustyBin

Likes Dirt
I come from a downhill background but want to start racing xc. Looking at buying a xc rig.

Have a limit of about $1700

I was looking a the giant XTC 2 as i can get a bit of a discount on them.
or
a Kona Kula

The xtc 2 is a bit more expensive but it seems to have better parts.
i am not sure about the weight of either of them does anyone know?

Which one is going to be better? faster? stronger as that is a concern as it would be ridden hard.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kona

I'd be going for the Kona. Giant's are great, might be a little to XC for you though, The Kona might be a little easier, and fun to ride, especially if you come from a pure DH background

Hitman89

Likes Bikes
I just bought a bike on similar budget to you, I was thinking XTC2 or 3, kona Kula or GT avalanche Pro or Expert.

After considering what I wanted from the bike and that it will get some abuse I got an Avalanche Expert. I couldn't justify the extra $500 at this stage as I am only just gettting back into the sport. I went for GT over giant XTC3 as from what I heard the frames are tougher and they come with a lifetime warranty. its also well spec for the price.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=2075&country=aus&brand=moun

That said if i did go the 2k option and was more race focused then the XTC2 looks like a great bike that is a bit lighter than the GT's. Good luck.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to go brand new I would probably opt for the Giant. They are light as hell and built for racing so their usage is a little restricted. The GT's are a personal favourite and are excellent all round hardtails that you can do loads of stuff on. Then again, if John U's Rocky is the right size I'd seriously consider it as an option. I've ridden ETSX's and they perform really well, probably more trail bike territory than XC though.
With the kind of money you want to spend you do have plenty of options, take a few for a test ride and see what suits you. I'd always take a rig that feels great to ride over a slightly lighter one any day.:)
Hope that helps a bit.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
same thing i've said in the last few threads about xc bikes around the 2000 mark. giant xtc2 really can't be beaten. if you want to go with shimano over sram (unlikely but some want to) then the fuji mt. fuji pro is a very nice bike.

if you're in the second hand market i'm going to plug this again. it's not mine but i can't believe the value. i know the guy, he's a mechanic, the bike is perfect and no-one will buy it.

majura

Squid
I'd say that the Giant would be better in the long run. The component spec really can't be beat and in terms of frame strength Giant manufacture the majority of frames going round in the world today... they have some of the most advanced manufacturing technology too. The 2006 XTC's have been "trail tuned"... unlike years gone past where they were aimed at XC racing but now the geometry has been relaxed and all forks are at 100mm.

Overall I'd say that Giant MTB's are great value for money and the fact that you get better componentry will mean that extra money you spend now will give you back better working and durable parts.

Bodin

GMBC
Grover said:
if you're in the second hand market i'm going to plug this again. it's not mine but i can't believe the value. i know the guy, he's a mechanic, the bike is perfect and no-one will buy it.
That's the best-specced bike I've ever seen for the price. I'm possibly going to have to borrow money and buy the thing, as it's got every single part that I'm currently lusting after.

topher

Likes Dirt
It's been in the for sale section for ages, but no1 took up the offer. Check out the roadie hes got for sale, its basically the same, its awesome!

TheDustyBin

Likes Dirt
thanks for the help. I am still on the lookout but have not decided yet. Might just wait for the right priced bike to come up.